What year did Faron start to copy Dean Martin?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Stephen Gregory

What year did Faron start to copy Dean Martin?

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Has any one else noticed that in the latter part of Faron's career he started to emulate the "Italian Crooners", or is it just me? His pronunciation of the word "year" for example in "Wine me up".
Ron Sodos

Post by Ron Sodos »

I opened for Faron at the Caravan in Amarillo in 1981. We actually discussed his sounding like Dean Martin that night.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

To turn the table Faron recorded "In the Chapel in the Moonlight 13 years ahead of Dean.
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

I worked with Faron in the late 50s and he was doing some Dean Martin imitations then.
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

I always liked it! I thought Faron's style of singing sounded very classy and somewhat "uptown" - yet, downhome. It made an interesting contrast when used with the country instrumentation(twin fiddles - pedal steel guitar) and honky tonk lyrics that a lot of Faron's songs contained.

I believe it may have started creeping into his vocal stylings in the late 50's to early 60's. I think this may have been done in an effort to gain more of a pop appeal. Irregardless, I liked it a lot!

There are three former Country Deputies that post on the Forum occassionaly: Richard Bass, Cal Sharp & Stu Basore. I'd sure like to read their opinions on this topic of discussion.

Tommy Minniear
Jack Therrell

Post by Jack Therrell »

Speaking of Faron, sometime ago there was some discussion about someone writing a book about Faron. I have forgotten the details about who was doing this but wondered does anyone know anything about how this may be progressing? Faron, now there was a man who could really sing a country ballad. Jack

Deborah Mundell

Post by Deborah Mundell »

The book is written by Diane Diekman: http://ddiekman.tripod.com/id8.html

"I recently finished writing the biography of Faron Young (1932-1996). Tentative publication is February 2007, his 75th birthday."

------------------
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

It all started in the 50's when Dino was playing bass for Faron and Emmons was always going on about what a great singer he was, and Faron picked up some of his inflections. Unfortunately, he also picked up other habits.

C#
www.calsharp.com
Stephen Gregory

Thanks Cal, I knew we would eventually get to the bottom of this!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Thanks for the "rest of the story," Cal.

It's a little known piece of country music history, but Faron so pissed off Jerry Lewis for breaking up the Martin and Lewis act that he was never again asked to perform on the "Jerry's Kids" telethon.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jack Therrell

Post by Jack Therrell »

Thx Deborah that is the information that I was looking for. Jack
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Good try Cal but that looks like the "Doctor" made that picture. However I don't doubt that you are right about the influence.
I love your site by the way.
Howard Kalish

Post by Howard Kalish »

The Dino influence on ol' Faron is pretty evident. He was one of Elvis' favorites too.

In the Faron box set, one of the CDs has a record from the early 60's that has pop arrangements and tunes with a 6 piece vocal group (3 women, 3 guys) and great guitar by Buck Owens. Quite hip. The Dinoisms run throughout.

I like my music Faron Balanced
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

In the late 60's early 70's aprox, Faron was on my fathers lable via Mecury,
didn't last long...
Apearently too much trouble...
Too bad.

I did get to meet him for 5 minutes.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Howard, was that vocal group the "I-need-a-Coors" singers?
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

I saw an interview on TV somewhere with Faron and he said he was adding the " hony tonk " mannerisms to some material to make it more apppropriate and then sang a demonstration of his crooner style and then his Hank style on the same song
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

I started with Faron in 1972. He was doing a Dean Martin impersonation as part of the show, his voice just flowed into that style. He was a big fan of Martin and many of the "crooners" of that era. Nat King Cole was one of his favorites. On the album Faron did with Ray Price he cut the Dean Martin song "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime". You can almost hear Faron consiously trying not to sound like Dean.
Richard
Stephen Gregory

Yes, The Dean Martin "effect" seemed to creep into everything Faron did in the latter part of his career. I think it was heavily overdone towards that part of his career. It seemed as though he was really trying to sound sophisticated but it just came out very "effected". I didn't care for it.
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Richard - I played on a show in Clinton, Iowa around that Era - Our Band put on our little stint and Faron came on afterwards - Do you remember if you were at that one??

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - Session 400 - Vegas 400 - ETC.

Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

Ron if it was after Dec of 1972 I was there. I was his lead player up til his death in 1996.
Richard<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Richard Bass on 12 March 2006 at 09:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

The year was 1949 and the date was March 17.
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Richard - I don't recall the date anymore - But I distincly remember my Old Tube Ampeg Bass amp going up in smoke, and Faron showed up about 10 minutes before we started and I was able to use his bass players amp - I was very happy, but When I met Faron, I think he was "Happy" too - if you know what I mean. What a great singer and showman!!
thanx for the reply Richard

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - Session 400 - Vegas 400 - ETC.

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I guess its simpler to say why Faron rather than when Faron started. The answer would be "Because he could".

------------------
Smiley 23-9 Crank&pull&push pro model Deluxe with auto voice tuner and string changer.500ft.roll.

Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Good put, Joe! I agree.... Image

Tommy Minniear
Gary Harris

Post by Gary Harris »

Faron, what a sad ending. A good reason to give up smoking.