When did you stop enjoying Rock?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

When I want to rock, Lil Feat and the Boss are still there.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Sometimes I think the definition of Rock is an individual attribute.

ZZ Top "Waitin for the bus"
Marvin Gaye "I'll be doggone"
Stones "Don't Stop"
Stevie Ray Vaughn - pick one...
Sam & Dave "Soul Man"
Free "All Right Now" (from the "Fire and Water" LP)
Any one of these should make your toes tap.

I spun tunes in a rock & roll nightclub for 10 years.

Oh, and Little Feat's "Mercenary Territory" from the "Waiting for Columbus" LP will blow yer head clean off!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 18 January 2006 at 07:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mat Rhodes

Post by Mat Rhodes »

I admit to being guilty of generalizing when I started this thread because I was trying to be brief. I don't mean to assault the whole Rock genre as there are hidden gems in every kind of music.

I do remember a time when listening to it that most songs (maybe over 75% of them on video and radio) sounded fresh and interesting. That includes the whole gambut from 60's all the way up to the post-Jeff Buckley-esque bands like Coldplay, Travis, Keane, etc. It's interesting that many of these bands come right out of the UK, but even they have a "sameness" about them.

Even the Metal and Emo/Screamo bands that pride themselves on "raw" energy and agression have suffered the same fate. It's as if Rock now has become an institution of tradition rather than innovation.

I think the older I get, though, I realize that more of the bands have become a bit recycled-sounding (i.e. "what's old is new again"). Nowadays, my attention is commanded by less-than-1% of the music I hear on radio, MTV2, Fuse, VH1, and the few Rock-oriented cable channels that don't employ videos. I now have to make the effort to listen, sort of like a Music Appreciation class, and I used to not have to do that. I think I know a little how Ray Montee feels at times.

So when I do make the effort, my conclusion is this: there's little that is new or imaginative.

I guess this is as good an argument as any for satellite music.

Matt<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Matt Rhodes on 18 January 2006 at 08:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Cox

Post by John Cox »

I quit listening when Disco took over somtetime in the 70's. I'll always still love the classic rock. J.C.
Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

Two hours before I was born.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

When I got old
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

When (Bonzo) Bonham died....

Brad

Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

Brad, If you haven't already done so, pick up the Led Zeppelin DVD. Bonzo is all over it!

The new Green Day live concert DVD is really good.

Weezer is good.

AFI is also good.

I have a teenage daughter that knows my tastes and can therrefore make recommendations. If not for that I would probably not have a clue about todays rock music.

I like any kind of music as long as it is done well. I really like my Sirius satellite radio so I can choose what to listen to.

As far as rock music. I go through phases. right now I've rediscovered ELP and King Crimson. You don't hear anybody making music of that complexity anymore.

Terry
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I'm with Terry.

(And Matt, not to worry Ray was an old fogey when he was in grade school..)

I ALWAYS like new catchy hard driving and spunky music.

I always have a "they don't do it like they used to" imp on one of my shoulders, but once in a while there's something brand new, and I like it.

JH, Zep, EC, James Gang, The Who,Queen, Deep Purple, Canned Heat, Nillson etc gave us enough to last for my lifetime, but the day I stop being open to new music, I'll be room temperature.

Like Bill Anderson said so well in the only song of his that I ever liked: "It's my Life. Throw it away if I want to...."

EJL<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Eric West on 18 January 2006 at 01:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

When Radio went to playing the same 10 song tape over and over all the around the country back around 1973
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

The moment one hit me, as a child! Never got over it!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’05 D–10 Derby – (6 & 8)
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment
Newest Steel
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

When did Pat Boone sing "Tutti Frutti"?
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I still love good rock and roll. But I completely lost interest in the mainstream when everyone was much more worried about how they looked, how they danced, how much money they made, who they were sleeping with, and who was on the cover of National Enquirer, than whether or not the music was any good. Come to think of it, that goes for other styles of music, as well.

Think about it - how many great rock and roll, blues, country, bluegrass, jazz, classical, whatever, records have already been made? Is it all that critical that a bunch of screaming wannabees dominate the current public rock radio airwaves? I still dig up old records at flea markets, vintage record stores, etc., and have tons that I haven't even had a chance to listen to yet. There is some good current music, but I wouldn't give a plug nickel for most of what passes for "rock" these days.
<SMALL>When did Pat Boone sing "Tutti Frutti"?</SMALL>
Never. He sang TSARTATF (The Song Allegedly Referred to as Tutti Frutti). Loved that cardigan sweater and the out-of-time finger popping. Image

Ah, old Pat can't get a break even when his heart is in the right place, thinking of that "heavy metal" debacle from 10-15 years ago. I thought his religious right supporters were gonna crucify him, but he atoned.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

At least Pat seems more likable than some, say, Paul Anka for example.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Yeah, I think Pat Boone is really a good singer, and a nice man. But I'm not sure that he should have recorded Tutti Fruttu.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Like someone else said - when Elvis went into the Army.

The final nail in the coffin, though, was when Don & Phil started trying to sound like the Beatles.....

RR
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I like some of nearly every kind of music I've ever listened to. Like Rick said, if its good music beit country, rock or whatever, its good music. I like the classic rock stuff that I listened to when I was a kid. I also really enjoy the country stuff if its good music.

Rick
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

When I was a kid it all went down the crapper with "We Built This City" by Starship. I turned off my radio for 5 years and immersed myself in Bach and the late string quartets of Beethoven. I was pretty nuts about it. I would suddenly leave coffee shops, parties, whatever if they played current pop stuff. I felt like my mind and heart was being poisoned. The only popular forms of music I could handle was recorded before multi tracking.

Then some girl I had the hots for talked me into going to a rock concert and The Ramones were the opening act.
They were terrible but I dug it. The tunes stuck in my head but instead of feeling violated it felt fun. Some friends dragged me down to Mabuhay Gardens (very early punk club in San Fransisco) after I told them about this weird great band I saw. That was a big fun scene ! Since then I've been fine with whatever form of music. Lots of great stuff out there. Although I still do not think of the TV or radio as being a source for any music worth listening to on purpose.

------------------
Bob
My Website

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 19 January 2006 at 09:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick McDuffie

Post by Rick McDuffie »

Jim Phelps, don't be so hard on Anka. I thought "You're Havin' My Baby" was a masterpiece!
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

For me, rock really lost its raw edge when corporate rock acts like Jefferson Starship, Kansas, Styx, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Heart, and Journey were in their heyday. Slick and polished stuff just doesn't appeal to me, and I still think that the latter half of the 1970s and early 1980s were some pretty lean years for rock 'n' roll.

There was some stuff I did like from that era, such as the first few albums by AC/DC and U2, but both bands were just on the brink of becoming famous and had yet to polish their sounds to become more 'radio friendly'.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

<SMALL>Music is only useful if it is good music, whether light or serious. Unless it provides one with some vital experience which no other art can convey, it is not only useless but a nuisance.</SMALL>
Constant Lambert
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Such an open-ended question. First off, I think you would have to define or agree upon just what "ROCK" means.

Good luck.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I started out in the 60's with The Beatles and all the rest and loved it. The 70's I got into the hard rock scene. It was Deep Purple, Robin Trower, Yes, Pink Floyd, Chicago, and my all time favorite is still Steely Dan. My tastes changed and I can listen to most anything that's done well. I like intricate arrangements like Steely Dan and Kansas were doing. The 80's were the end of r/r for me. I went to a David Lee Roth concert and seen Steve Vai play a triple neck guitar. For me I have to have a change from time to time and in the 80's I went from playing the drums in pop/jazz, lounge bands to taking up the steel guitar and country music and honky tonks. Pretty radical but I was bored to death and needed that change. As of right now I quit my gig last week and am currently looking for something in the Americana category or maybe a little folkish. I like this new Garageband type of sound I hear. Not all of the groups but there are some that catch my ear. Send me Back Home and Working Man Blues have run their course with me now. It seems every group does the same tunes anymore. I also took up the dobro a while back and have been going to Bluegrass shows so I've got that to keep me interested. I figure about one more instrument to take up before I cash out will keep me satisfied. Maybe it'll be stand-up bass!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 21 January 2006 at 05:45 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

My evolution in music:

When I was a kid (around 9-10) I was more interested in the Dave Clark 5 and Rolling Stones than the Beatles. The Beatles were a band for my sister. Also at this time I got very interested in classical - mainly from the Leonard Bernstein Young People's concerts and I started buying Mozart on my own.

Later when the White Album came out, I did get very much into the Beatles. I was probably 15-16 by this point. Went to my first rock concert in 9th grade which was 2 weeks after woodstock: Janis Joplin, B.B. King, Joe Cocker, and Santana. It was fantastic, although I was disappointed when Santana finally released an album, since it wasn't as good as they were live.

16-17 I listened to a lot of Cat Stevens, but the big eye opener was The Band. I loved The Band with a passion. At this time I also got very heavly into folk and folk rock, due to a great club outside Phily and a great radio station. Fairport Convention, Rambling Jack Elliot, Dave Van Ronk, Rev Gary Davis, Bonnie Rait, Stevie Goodman, John Prine, the Highwood String Band, and especially Chris Smither became heros, a passion that continues to this day. My friends were listening to Almond Brothers and the like.

College years were big for 2 reasons: I got introduced to Jazz and I got introduced to Glenn Gould, both of which were life changing events. Rock of any type pretty much slipped off the radar. But this was the 70's so I didn't miss much. I also got interested in The Greatful Dead, but mainly because I saw them live. Their recorded work, outside of workingman's dead, sort of left me cold.

I dropped out of college for a few years and when I returned I got heavily into more avant-guard music, mainly due to a great music teacher I had. He turned me on to John Cage, David Amram, Tom Waits, Steve Reich, the Terry Riley, and Stravinsky - particularly Rite of Spring, which while I guess I had heard it before in Fantasia, was mind blowing to me at that age.

So that combination: some rock, folk, folk rock, traditional, classical, avant-guard, jazz has pretty much stayed with me since. It was a very very good music education.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

When did you stop enjoying Rock?

Never..

Panico, Mars Volta, the White Stripes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tortise, the Pixies, Turbonegro, the Sailors, the Dwarves, Legends Of Motorsport, Art Brut, !!! (pronounced chiik, chiik chiik), Slint, Big Black, Green River, Sigur Ros, the Nation Blue, Pavement, the Champs, Gene Vincent, the Rolling Stones, the Byrds, the Stooges, Sir Lord Baltimore, the MC5 are some of the rock bands I've been listening to lately, 1959 to 2005.