Banjo

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Charles,
I think that was my first time ever saying Hate on this steel forum.
Mom & Dad taught us kids not to use the word.

Anyway, I just couldn't resist! Image
I really don't mind it on a couple of songs, but I can do without it.

I really don't care for it on Keith Urban material either.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Theresa,If you really don't mind the banjo on a couple of tunes,maybe you just dislike it instead of hate.If you ever hear the C.D.[Earl Scruggs and Friends]With Elton John,Sting,Melissa Etheridge,John Fogerty,Albert Lee,Paul Shaffer,Jerry Douglas,and many more.I bet you would find at least one you would like.If you do get a chance to listen to this C.D. Dont mention it here,Bob and J.W. will bar you from the GREAT possum hunt.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Eye candy for Theresa

Charles Davidson

A banjharp????
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

I AGREE WITH THE LADY....

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A BANGER BEING
PLAYED IN AN OPRA, SYMPHONY, CHAMBER MUSIC?? OR HAS THE BANGER ALWAYS BIN BANISHED TO THE OUTHOUSE???

JW U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
EAT LOTS OF POSSUM............

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Charles Davidson

Is that a one seater or two,J.W.?
Charles Davidson

J.W. Bela Fleck has played with a sympony several times.
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

They have my sympathy.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

SYMPTHY FOR THE SYMPHONY: DID THEY WAIT UNTIL HE FINISHED TO CRY OR DID THEY ALL GET THEIR INSTRUMENTS WET LIKE THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD??
I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY LEANORD BERNSTEIN RETIRED AND DIED NOW...POOR FELLOW....
ONE THING FOR SURE , BALA DOES A LOT OF PLINKING, FEW PLUNKS, MOSTLY PLINKS. AND HE IS A YANKEE TO BOOT.. POOR FELLOW.....SHOULD KNOW BETTER....BUT I LOVE HIM, NOT THE BANGER......
JENNINGS,, U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
CHARLES ARE YOU A DISPLACED YANKEE TOO???

------------------
Charles Davidson

J.W. I would not make a good yankeethey moved south.I HATE cold weather.When I was just a pup taking basic training at Fort Leanard Wood ,crawling around in two feet of ice and snow,I swore when my Uncle Sam got through having his way with me,I would hightail it back to Sweet Home Alabama .I have visited friends up in yankee land [R.I.,Conn.]but only in the good ole summer time.
Charles Davidson

P,S. J.W. has any one heard how SWEET LILLIE is doing?
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

HAVE NOT HEARD A WORD ABOT OR FROM OUR PRINCESS.. IF YOU WERE IN FT. L.W. YOU KNOW WHAT SHE HAS TO ENDURE....GOOD THING IT IS NOT WINTER.... I WAS THERE IN 58, FEB. MARCH. APR.
YOU DONT HAVE TO TELL ME , I KNOW.....
HOPE LILLI IS GETING PLENTY POSSUM SLEEP...
BUT NOT LIKLEY...GEORGE MUST BE MAD AT US.,,
HE HAS BIN AWFULLY QUIET, PLEASE GEORGE LET US KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT LILIE AND YOU...
JENNINGS,,,,,U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
Don Blood

Post by Don Blood »

I don't see how anyone can hate a banjo. My dad didn't care for them, but there were days in the early 80's when I'd be sitting at the kitchen table playing foggy mountain breakdown when my wife left for work in the morning, and usually I was still playing it when she got home. Did I mention she didn't like it either?
Now I'm hooked on steel, but I still like the banjo.
Charles Davidson

Don believe me your asking for trouble,If J.W. invites you our GREAT possum hunt dont accept.He will get you in that Fla.smamp and feed you to the gaters.I'v already told my wife[If I dont return from the GREAT possum hunt,to contact [C.T.B.P.A.]cruelety to banjo players assn.That the two main suspects in my coming up missing would be two guys named Bob and J.W. They could find Bob easy, But I think J.W.uses an alias.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

To each his own. I play a five and really enjoy the instrument. I think for steelers and dobro players it would be an easier to learn.

Today I'm going to the season kickoff of a local monthly bluegrass jam at a small town theatre. Six hours of jamming with perhaps a dozen groups all situated in and around the theatre (the mezzanine, the lobby, the foyer, the projection room, storage room). They all take their turn on stage. Good, clean smoke-free fun with some hot pickers and singers!

Drew

------------------
<font size=1>Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3</font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 02 October 2005 at 08:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Winston Street

Post by Winston Street »

Guess all of you have fergitted some of the great pedal steel imitations that Buck Trent did on his 5 string ban-gere with string benders on it.
Charles Davidson

Since I was the one that started this banjo debate that almost started off as a slugfest,then gradually evolved into humorous jabs at each other.Please guys if you make a reply,Don't take it to SERIOUS!!!! I enjoy going back and forth with Bob and J.W..It's really irrelevant who likes or dislikes the banjo.We all have one thing in common or we would'nt be on this forum,We all love the STEEL GUITAR!!Sometimes when someone attacks you with venom,respond with antivenom,you may gain a friend instead of a lifetime enemy.[P.S. J.W. I'm still doing all the work organizing the GREAT possum hunt,What are you doing practicing Earl's breakdown all day??? You are the C.P.H.[Chief possum hunter]So come on and help me out some]
Cody Campbell

Post by Cody Campbell »

Winston, I'm glad you mentioned that.

Friday evening, my dad called me into the living room. He'd just been flipping channels and happened upon an episode of the "Porter Wagoner show," being shown on RFD-TV.

It was an episode that Dolly was hosting, and it featured a sister duo that sang folk-rock type songs. At one point, Porter sang "Life's Railway". And Dolly sang a song that I hadn't heard. It sounded great.

Anyway, on one of the country tunes, dad pointed out the banjo player. I watched for a second, and to my surprise, it sounded Just like Electric Guitar. I said "Wild!"

How'd he do it?
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

CHARLES, I ALMOST HAD FLINT HILL SPECIAL DOWN PAT AND I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY FOGGY MT. BREAKDOWN.....WELL, I AM IN TROUBLE NOW,
'ALL THE STRINGS BROKE ON MY KAZOO, AND MY JAWS HARP IS TUNED ET. FLAT, AND PRECIOUS WILL NOT LET ME PLAY THE BANGER, SHE HOWLS , BARKS ,
WHINES, AND THEN SHE BITES MY FINGERS.....
SHE WONT LET ME TAKE OFF MY SHOES, AND PLAY,
SHE BITES MY TOES REAL HARD....MAYBE I CAN SING THOSE SONGS IF I CAN FIND THE WORDS. DO
YOU HAVE THEM, OR MAYBE SOME OTHER BANGER
PLAYER.........
JW U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
Charles Davidson

J.W. ,My bluetick Dixie Belle loves my banjo playing,but when I tried to play the fiddle one time,the vet had to put her on prozac for two months,took me another six months to get her to tree a possum.Had to give up fiddling around.Just Think I may have been the next Johnny Gimble,just could'nt give up possum hunting,would'nt be the same without my Dixie Belle.
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Speaking of Buck Trent, i just found his website: http://www.bucktrent.com/

Looks like he plays breakfast gigs in Branson.
Winston Street

Post by Winston Street »

Cody,
Buck, the best I recall, was a pretty decent guitar player also. Don't know how he was sounding like an electric guitar unless the camera man was filming the wrong person. I've seen that done many times.

Dan, your right, he is playing in Branson, I haven't seen his show but I remember the billings the last time I was up there.

I'm not a great banjo fan either as most that are posting on this thread, but I used to like to listen to Buck when he was using his string benders. I like a little bluegrass and a little cajun. After a "very" little they all start sounding alike to me.

Maybe I don't play much of it on steel because "I just ain't fast enough". My fingers just refuse to move that fast.

I do love Allison Krauss and the Osborne Brothers though.

Winston
Charles Davidson

J.W. I have the words to every instrumental tune Earl Scruggs ever made, I will fax them to you.You MUST learn ALL of them before the GREAT possum hunt,if you don't I'll let Bob have them.You don't want him to put you to shame do you?
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

CHARLES, I JUST LOVE TO SING INSTRUMENTAL
SONGS AND ESPECIALLY FOR THE BANGER....
IT HAS BIN A LONG TIME SINCE I HAVE HAD A CHANCE,,,, AND I LOST MY STYLE SINGING THE
LYRICS FOR OBOE SOLOES..AND THE KETTLE DRUM..
BUT THE BANGER IS SO EASY , IT SHOULD BE NO
PROBLEM AT ALL...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR
THE WORDS..WE IS GOING GOING TO HAVE ONE HOPPIN POSSUM GOOD TIME....MAYBE I CAN GET
FERRIS TO JOIN US... HE PLAYS A MEAN
WASHBOARD, CHINESE STYLE.. DOES GREAT...
I HOPE HE WILL COME AND THE TWO LARRYS ARE GOOD AT CATCHING SNAKES AND MAKING PROTEIN DOUGHNUTS...SO WE WILL EAT GOOD. .POSSUM AND
DOUGHNUTS..UUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM GOOD.
WE WILL EVEN LET FERRIS PLAY THE JAWS HARP WHILE GNAWING ON A POSSUM LAIG....
GET YOUR CARBIDE LAMPS ALL SHINED UP AND LOADED, WE IS GONNA HAVE A BLAST...
JENNINGS,, U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
Charles Davidson

Sorry J.W.,I dont have any of those new fangled fancy lights,I still use a fat lightered knot for a torch,was good enough for grandpaw,good enough for me.You should be ashamed of your going high tech on the GREAT possum hunt.SHAME,SHAME,SHAME!!!!!! Dont thing Dixie Belle would like it either.I can't afford to get her upset again,can't afford the vet bills.