Banjo

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

<SMALL>Some people don't like asparagus...</SMALL>
b0b, have you tried Bela Fleck's asparagus?

Terry
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Bob,It's true you do have a banjo picker in your closet, Your son-in-law .Be kind to him ,and maybe he will teach you foggy mountain breakdown.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Just wait for that first grandchild, I bet bOb will change his tune...to this
--D--
--B--
--G--
--D--
--G--
Charles Davidson

Bob would'nt it be ironic if one of your grandkids grew up to be the next Bela Fleck.Would serve you right.Ha,Ha. Just kidding Bob,Just kidding.This was J.W's idea anyway.[I always blame everything on J.W.,He can take the heat!!!]
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

WELL THE FACTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
TONE DEAF; BANGER PLAYER
CANT HEAR DITTO
NO TIMEING DITTO
BAD PERSONALITY DITTO
HATES PEOPLE DITTO
HATES DOGS DITTO
CALLS HOGS DITTO
LIMPS WHEN HE TALKS DITTO
LISPS WHEN HE PLAYS DITTO
HATES MUSIC DITTO
HATES MUSIC LOVERS DITTO
HATES HIM/HERSELF DITTO
RUNNY NOSE DITTO
S,ELLY FEET DITTO
B.O. DITTO
HATES BATHS DITTO
WALKS ON WRONG SIDE OF ROAD DITTO
SINGS OUT OF TUNE DITTO
SING WRONG SONG BAADLY DITTO
PICKS NOSE WHILE EATING DITTO
PASSES GAS IN CHURCH DITTO
BORROWS MONEY DITTO
NEVER PAYS BACK MONEY DITTO
THINKS PLAYING BANGER WILL KEEP HIM FROM BEING A CHICKEN THIEF DITTO
1001 MORE I CANT THINK OF RIGHT NOW...

JENNINGS,,,U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

I hope this last comment is trying to be funny. Just seems rude to me.

I love good banjo playing whether 4 or 5 string. It really comes down to whether somebody is a good musician or not; just like on steel guitar. Bela Fleck took the banjo to new place in music that it had never been. It took a lot of talent, guts and originality.

There are no limits to music. How would you feel if someone said, "steel guitars are only good for weepy country songs". That would leave out Emmons with Gatton and Curly or Reece great jazz playing.

Banjo players often have to play stuff they don't want to like Foggy Mountain Breakdown or Duelling banjos. Remember that the next time you have to play Steel Guitar Rag or Sleepwalk. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dan Sawyer on 17 September 2005 at 06:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Stelling Red Fox, hand made in Virginia (no assembly lines or "made in Korea" here)with the tone to die for.

if you think banjo is Old Joe Clark and Cripple Creek only,take a minute and listen this guy for a second.

Banjo Man: The Musical Journey of Earl Scruggs
Banjo Man: The Musical Journey of Earl Scruggs made possible by Robert W. McLean.
The Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum surveys the life and career of banjo guru Earl Scruggs in Banjo Man: The Musical Journey of Earl Scruggs, a cameo exhibit now open in the Museum’s East Gallery. The exhibit also honors Scruggs’ wife and business partner, Louise Certain Scruggs. Banjo Man will remain open through June 16, 2006.
Museum curators will use instruments, costumes, vintage photographs, original art, archival video, show posters and music to tell the story of a modern master who was nurtured in a musical family as a child and who has now introduced his own sons to the same tradition.

The Banjo Man exhibit will be accompanied by related publications, the DVD release of vintage Martha White-sponsored Flatt & Scruggs television shows from the Museum’s collection, and a series of public programs including interviews, film screenings, concerts, and panel discussions.

[/img]

Db

------------------
"Promat"
~when tone matters~
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne2/PROMAT.html

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 24 September 2005 at 06:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Charles Davidson

J.W,J.W,J.W, You nailed me on every thing above,except one.I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my bluetick hound,she keeps me up to my eyeballs in possum stew.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

CHARLEY, WE HAVE 2 THINGS IN COMMON.
1 : WE LOVE BLUE TICK HOUNDS.
2 : WE LOVE POSSUMS, ANY WAY, ALL WAYS.
3 : WE HAE BANGER NOISE!!!
4 ; WE KNOW A GOOD THANG WHEN WE SEE IT.

I SAID 2 DIDN'T I?? OH , WELL......
JW U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
Charles Davidson

J.W Two out four is not bad. Seems like we are meeting in the middle,I'm going to keep working on you. Maybe we can go possum hunting together,sit around the campfire and listen to Earl Scruggs and eat possum.I'll bring my bluetick,you bring yours.What do you think? Deal????
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

CHARLIE,,,I AM WONERING IF YOU WOULD OBJECT TO
b0b COMING ALONG?? IF HE TRIES IT, HE MAY
LIKE IT... SHOULD I INVITE HIM TO BRING HIS
MARIMBA AND HAMMERS????

JENNINGS,,,,,,U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
Charles Davidson

J.W. That would be great if Bob will invite his banjo playing son in law along,I'll bring my Dobro along,maybe a chorus of Earls Break down and all the possums will surrender,I could leave Dixie Belle my blue tick at home.
Charles Davidson

P.S. J.W. make sure Bob brings his marimba along,will make us snake prove. All the cottonmouths for miles around will head for higher ground.
Brent LaBeau

Post by Brent LaBeau »

Personally, I don't find the banjo half as irritating as unduly rude posts full of misspelled words typed all in caps.

Rev.LaBeau
Charles Davidson

Come on Mr. Labean dont take it to serious.I have a lot of fun picking at J,W, and Bob,to me it's just tongue in cheek humer.Not sure but I hope they feel the same way.If you would like,you would be welcome to join us on our GREAT possom hunt,but you will have to bring a banjo and a bluetick hound,[no redbone hounds are allowed].So come on down Brent,We will have a banjo picking,possum hunting,goodtime.
Charles Davidson

P.S. Brent I'm sorry I spelled your last name wrong,did'nt notice my my mistake until I had posted.This is one thing I WON'T joke about!All my life I have put up with people calling me Mr.Davis or Davison instead of Davidson. Again I apologize. Thanks Charles Davidson.
Brent LaBeau

Post by Brent LaBeau »

Well, since you put it like that I'm in.
I'm gamy.
I'll bring my vintage Teisco "Chess King" banjo and some home made BBQ sauce.
I've got some good recipes for the lovely opossum but I ain't gonna dress 'em.
Someone else is gonna have to clean those greasy varmints.
I've got no hound dog, would some young'un work? They can tree a babysitter like you've never seen.

Rev. LaBeau
Charles Davidson

Brent, J.W.can skin and clean a possum in sixteen seconds flat,he holds the world record at the possum olympic hoedown.[takes him almost a minute to skin a banjo player.]All you will have to do is eat possum and grin.
Charles Davidson

Lord have mercy,just all this started because I made the comment.Then the race was on.On the up side I hope I get to go on the GREAT possum hunt with J.W.and Bob.The ball is rolling guys,who knows the GREAT possum hunt could be bigger than Nascar.I cast the first vote for J.W. to be C.E.O.[certified executive Opussum]of this new sports organization.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

YES , I AM THE 6th GENERATION OF POSSUM
HUNTERS.. AND IT IS SPELLED " POSSUM " REV..
WE WILL BE HAPPY TO HAVE YOU AND BOB ALONG
AS LONG AS BOB DONT SING AND YOU DONT TRY TO PREACH...YES, I CAN SKIN A POSSUM IN NOTHING FLAT...ALSO CAN SKIN A BANGER PLAYER THE SAME
WAY...JUST GRAB HIM BY THE TAIL AND JERK....
ONLY AGED MOONSHINE [3 DAYS ] WILL BE ALLODED.
NO BEER OR FACTORY HOOCH.... I WILL MAKE EVERYONE SOME GARLIC AND WILD ONION CORNBREAD,
SERVED WITH WILD ONION BUTTERMILK....AND POSSUM STEW,,,NO CANDY, OR BURGERS, NO OTHER VITTLES WILL BE NECESSARY OR ALLOWED..
THE BIGGEST QUESTION IS, WHERE CAN WE STEAL ENOUGH GAS FOR THIS TRIP, WE CANT AFFORD TO BUY IT.. BOB HAS A LONG WAY TO COME..HE CANT WALK AND DONT OWN A DONKEY....ANY SUGGESTIONS????
JENNINGS,,,,,U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
Charles Davidson

J.W. Just put the word out that Bob is a fugitive from Fla.[He was found guilty of winning a banjo competition]and escaped to Calif.Dawg the bounty hunter will pick him up and return him to Fla,Wont cost a penny in gas money.That problem is solved,What's next? J.W.you need to help me some now.I'm doing all the work getting the GREAT possum hunt organized.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I hate the Banjo!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I don't hate the banjo, I hate bluegrass. There's a difference.

How many bluegrass musicians does ot take to change a light bulb?

Five. One to change the bulb and four to complain that it's electric.

I like clawhammer style banjo.I have an LP entitles "Melodic Clawhammer Banjo" that has some very nice stuff on it, and Sandy Bull's 1963 recording of his clawhammer banjo vesion of Karl Orf's "Oh Fortuna" from "Carmina Burana" still holds up while all the guitar stuff on the album (Fantasias for guitar and banjo on Vanguard records) sounds hopelessly dated.

Those of you who have my CDs, there is banjo on "Le Petit Negre" and and the "Infernal Dance" part of the Firebird Suite, and on the Prologue, and the songs "Blues", "I feel Pretty" and "Cool" from West Side Story. I used a 6 string banjo tuned like a guitar on Cool.
Charles Davidson

Theresa,hate is a strong word,but I understand because I to hate something,anykind,shape,form,or fashion of Rap[no I wont call it music].
b0b

Post by b0b »

Darn it, Mike! You should put warning labels on your CDs! Image