Southern Gospel w/steel recommendations???

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jason Powers

Southern Gospel w/steel recommendations???

Post by Jason Powers »

I was just wondering if any of you would have any recommendations for Southern Gospel albums and/or groups 60s-80s era with plenty of steel on them. I already have both The Happy Goodmans "Wanted Live" (Jack Smith) and the live double album (Lloyd Green) so I'm off to a real good start. I picked up three albums by the Cathedrals, one by the Downings, and one by the Singing Speer Family, and while they ALL have good singing on them, the Speer Family record was the ONLY one that had any steel on it. And so I am looking for recommendations. I prefer the old vinyl albums since I am a record collector. Thanks to all that can help. Jason
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Jason, the origional Hinsons used a lot of steel on their albums. Along with the Happy Goodmans, the Hinsons were the best southern/country Gospel group ever.IMO.

Kenny Hinson was the best Gospel singer ever! IMO. His nephew Bo Hinson of "The New Hinsons" is almost, if not as good, as Kenny was.

Terry

------------------
Mullen D10 /8x5 / session 500rd/ American Strat Highway 1 model
steelin for my Lord

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

The old Oak Ridge Boys gospel records had a lot of steel on them. They had a steel guitar player named John Rich (I think) with them for a while. He played with a Tele strapped on and switched between Tele and steel. I have an old Oaks Band album that he played on. The Blue Ridge Quartet had a steel player with them for a long time too. The Rambo's usually had a lot of steel on their records too. I think they usually used Weldon Myrick in the studio, Johnny Cox played in their live band for a while.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

Ditto what Terry said! Also, checkout the Kingsmen and the Florida Boys.

Tony Rankin
www.daytonambassadorsquartet.com
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Rankin on 23 September 2005 at 01:01 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

The Rambos used a lot of steel from what I can remember. Personally, the original Hinson's were my favorite group and Kenny the best singer. Most of their recordings were done with Sonny Garrish on steel. I like Bo but I do not feel like he is close to his uncle. I also loved the Happy Goodmans. The "Wanted Live" album with Jack Smith playing steel is one of my favorites. I have one Rambo's album that used Weldon Myrick for steel. Weldon never played on anything that was bad IMHO.
RMckee

Post by RMckee »

The double live album of the Happy Goodman Family with Lloyd is my favorite. I believe Johnny Cox played on a live album with the Rambo's. I have some albums by the Singing Echoes and Jerry and the Goff's that have Doug Jernigan and Russell Easter Jr. playing steel on them. If you like Sonny Garrish get any of the Hemphill albums from the 70's. The songs are good, the vocals are good, and there is a ton of Sonny Garrish. During that period Sonny and the guitar player - I don't recall but I think it was Brent Rowan - played a lot of twin stuff. I seem to remember Sonny using a chorus pedal on a lot of that stuff. A lot of the old Inspirations and Cathedral's studio stuff used steel. Neither group used anything except for piano and bass live. I wore out the tape of the Hinson's 'From out of the west they came' that had Ronnie Moore all over it. Check out the Kingsmen. They used Gary 'Beaver' Dillard almost exclusively. I believe he is a forum member. Also, the early Jeff and Sherri Easter - a bit more recent than the time-frame you mentioned - used Rabbit Easter, also a forum member. Rabbit is a huge fan of Lloyd and some of it creeps out....
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Thanks for the help guys!!!
JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

The older Gold City Quartet releases had steel guitar. Today, Mike Bowling has steel guitar. The New Hinson's have changed their name to The Hinsons. Check our KJIC.com. It is a radio station near Houston. They play a lot of country gospel. That's were I heard about the name change of the Hinson's
Jason, where do you play?

James
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Jason, I don't know about albums but if you have cable or dsl internet service, give this link a try.
http://www.wcmi.org/index.html

It is FULL of southern w/ more steel guitar than you will get ANYWHERE else.

Bill Ferguson
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Thank You Bill, I'm just tuning in now!!!!
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

James, To answer your question, I'm not a steel player, but I've always been a HUGE fan of the steel guitar and its wonderful sounds.
Mike Bowles

Post by Mike Bowles »

The singing cookes their music is great for steel and they use a great steel player i think his name is Eddie trent
Butch Foster

Post by Butch Foster »

The New Hinsons live CD has great steel by Scott Sanders. Rhonda Vincent and her family have an excellent CD with Pedal Steel and dobro by Scott.