Ted Green, R.I.P.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Perlowin

Ted Green, R.I.P.

Post by Mike Perlowin »

One of the great ones who never achieved the recognition he deserved.

http://www.tedgreene.blogspot.com/
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

This is very sad and surprising. Ted truly is one of the greats of guitar, both as a player and a teacher. His may not be a household name, but he has been legendary among guitarists for a long time. R.I.P., Ted.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Very sad. I will dig out my copy of "Solo Guitar" and play it as a tribute.
Leon Grizzard

Post by Leon Grizzard »

A real shame. After a divorce, when I had more free time and a ton of nervous energy, I worked through his two volume Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing. It was a transforming experience for me as a guitarist, and his gentle and thoughtful comments helped me through these exhaustingly thorough books. I'm still uneven and not fast enough, but I know a little.
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Mike Perlowin, thanks for posting. The web page you mentioned is actually something I put up. Many folks have posted their comments and memories of Ted there. everyone who knew Ted or his music, please come and check it out!

www.tedgreene.blogspot.com <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dan Sawyer on 31 July 2005 at 02:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I never met Ted but his chord books - and especially his solo record - taught me that there was much more to chord melody playing than I had thought. All of his books revealed a gentle and musical soul who had a much deeper understanding of the language of music than most of us could ever hope to have, yet his recorded music proved he could also simply play a song with uncommon eloquence.
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

I am so sad to hear of the passing of Ted Green. His solo Lp has brought many hours of listening pleasure for me, as well as my students. He should have been alot more well known than he was, but I always felt that was his choice. He was a monster player as well as a great writer of guitar material. If you don't have his album it is a must for your collection. We only get his kind once in a lifetime if ever. May he be with the greats that went before him. God bless Ted Green. Bobby
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

I am so sad to hear of the passing of Ted Green. His solo Lp has brought many hours of listening pleasure for me, as well as my students. He should have been alot more well known than he was, but I always felt that was his choice. He was a monster player as well as a great writer of guitar material. If you don't have his album it is a must for your collection. We only get his kind once in a lifetime if ever. May he be with the greats that went before him. God bless Ted Green. Bobby
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Ted was just about the only guitar player, I ever heard, who could play a tune in four different keys and never repeat himself.I truly admired him.
Matt Price

Post by Matt Price »

First time poster here......
My Steel teacher, John McClung, told me about this thread here.....
I was fortunate enough to take lessons with Ted on a regular basis for the last few years. I have just been shocked since I found out last week. I make my living as a guitar teacher for the most part.....he has had a profound effect on me as a player/teacher.....he was one of the most giving people I've ever known. I sure am gonna miss him.

Ted was an amazing player and human being. Believe all the hype, he really was that good.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

<SMALL>Believe all the hype, he really was that good.</SMALL>
I agree. In fact, Ted was one of those rare guys for whom there actually wasn't enough hype.