steel bars

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Christer Fredriksen

steel bars

Post by Christer Fredriksen »

Hi!
I`m currently using a Jim Dunlop 7.5 oz. , 7/8 x 3-1/4 steel bar, bullet nose type. I`d like to try out some other variations, could you players please give me some input on the pros and cons of the different types of bars?
Thanks in advance
Christer
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I like the Shubb-Pearse SP-2. It's a Stevens style with a bullet tip. Works fine for 6 or 8 strings. Easy to hold and slant.
http://www.shubb.com/sp/
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

I'd recommend the SP-2 too, if you're looking for something other than a round bullett bar. The SP-1 is also nice, a little longer so maybe it's better for an 8-string, I don't know.

But from the 'Stevens' style bars I've tried, the SP's are by far the quietest and also the most versatile thanks to the two different ends.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Will Yardley

Post by Will Yardley »

<SMALL>I`m currently using a Jim Dunlop 7.5 oz. , 7/8 x 3-1/4 steel bar, bullet nose type.</SMALL>
You don't mention what you're using it for... I use both a BJS pedal steel bar (about the same size as yours) and a smaller 3/4" x 2 3/4" Dunlop bar; I think the smaller bar is a little easier on 6 string lap steel. Dunlop makes a "Byrd bar" which is 3/4" x 3-1/4", and I imagine that would be a good size for most 6-8 string lap steels.

I have a shubb bar that's shaped kind of like a Stevens too, but I don't use it that much. It's the one that has the little pointy curves at both ends, and I find that the curves sometimes get caught on the strings...
Christer Fredriksen

I use it for a georgeboard 8 string..
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Although they are "bullet bars" they are unlike any others that I have ... everyone owes it to themselves to have at least one Red Rajah/Black Phoenix Bar ...

Chuck has lots of sizes and shapes .... I am paricularly fond of the "Tapered ones".

And they have a lifetime guarantee Image

------------------
<font size=1>www.horseshoemagnets.com </font>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Depending on the day, I use ...

- Black Phoenix
- Red Rajah
- John Pearse thermo-cryonic
- Dunlop Jerry Byrd
- Dunlop pedal steel bar
- Red Rajah pedal steel bar
- Corona beer bottle

The Phoenix is a wonderful bar that offers a slick, gliding feel and a nice, warm tone with less high-end than a metal bar. I like it more than the Red Rajah's which have a more fragile coating and a coarser feel.
The Pearse bar is heavier than most bullet bars and is slightly longer than the Dunlop JB. The JB is best for a 6 string, 22.5" scale guitar IMHO. It's good to try pedal steel bars occasionally . They make some lap steel techniques harder but are great for playing big chords in strum tunings. The advantages of the Corona bottle are obvious!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 04 December 2003 at 07:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The best bar I ever found for lap steel, bar none, was a tapered steel bar. They aren't made anymore but if you can find a used one, buy it. You won't be disappointed!
Erv
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Andy, I am intrigued by the Dacron-covered lead bars that Freddie Roulette describes in your book. Did you get a chance to try one?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

No, Russ, I didn't. I did Freddie's interview via phone and he was hard to get! I don't know the name & address of the maker - he may no longer even be in business. In the early years of the forum Ed Packard and Bill Stafford were making bars from the synthetic material called Zirconia. Many at the time said these were the best bars they ever used. If I remember correctly, they were really expensive - something like $150.
Howard Warehand

Post by Howard Warehand »

I only use a Black Pheonix 15/16 x 3.35 now for my 10 string Lap. With "advancing" years, drier hands has reduced my natural grip and I kept dropping my Stainless Bar, well that's my excuse anyway. For me the "sticky" Pheonix was the answer and gives me full bar control with only a light grip and I like the warmer tone.
I've been using it for a year now and the coating is still unmarked.
Steinar Gregertsen

Oh great.... I just tried ordering a Black Phoenix and it showed that 'Guitar Centre' won't ship to Europe and the Canadian dealer don't do online orders.
Anywhere else I can get them?

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Steinar Gregertsen

Thanks Rick, but that's what I did. Takes a lot of time since both order and money transfer has to be done via snailmail. For some reason this can take weeks, even a month or more, between Norway and Canada....

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

The Phoenix!! (aka Black Rajah).

Virtually eliminates the high pitched whine you sometimes get with a steel or chrome bar. Very mellow tone, good for Hawaiian.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Oops ... sorry, I didn't read your post fully Image

What size do you want ?...

I have a couple extra 2 3/4" x 3/4" ... Phoenix and Red Rajah (never been used, they are "spares")

I'll send you one if thats "your size"<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 04 December 2003 at 09:26 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Rick: Did you know that Guitar Center won't ship to Seattle ... and that it can take weeks, or months, to transfer money between Washington state and Canada? Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 04 December 2003 at 11:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steinar Gregertsen

Rick,- thanks for your generous offer!
I need it for 6-string (both electric and acoustic) so I meant to order the smallest size. Is that what you've got?
If you have a PayPal account I can transfer the money immediately,- I'll email you.

Steinar

PS - Russ, are you saying that......?

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 04 December 2003 at 09:53 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Yep, thats the small one ...
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

I have fell in love with the shape & weight of the Shubb SP-1. It's easy to hold, & you can turn it to the blunt end or the rounded end for different licks.
Travis Bernhardt

Post by Travis Bernhardt »

I use an SP-2, but if I had to buy a new bar for 8-string lap steel, I'd almost definitely buy a Red Rajah/Black Phoenix. I tried a Red Rajah for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was actually shocked by how well it lives up to its advertising claims. It slides along the strings with far less "drag" than my SP-2 (I had always thought that the SP-2 was smooth, but there's really no comparison), and yet it "stuck" to my hand far better than my steel bullet bar (John Pearse cryo).

It slid along the strings so much easier that I had to be careful not to overshoot the fret I was aiming for. Seriously! It took some getting used to.

-Travis
Christer Fredriksen

Thanks for all the good advices.
I especially liked Andy Volks about the corona bottle. I`ll have to empty a few to find out which one works best...
How about whiskey bottles?
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I've got a lead crystal slide with a bullet tip from Diamond Bottlenecks.

It's not as heavy as a Corona bottle, but it does hold a generously-sized shot of tequila ...
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Russ, I saw those "talked about" on that Blues/Slide forum. Did you get the non-pedal bar also ?

I got a Pyrex one that b0bs friend was making and its really Image ... HUGE (1' x 3 5/8") but very light ... quite different than anything I ever tried. Very fun !

I want one of those "Slippery Slides" bad ... I'm hopin' my wife gets the hint and "slips" on into my Christmas stockin' Image

------------------
<font size=1>www.horseshoemagnets.com </font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 05 December 2003 at 09:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

The bullet-tip slide I got from Diamond is pretty heavy -- app. 4.25 ounces -- but it is big, too. It's 1-1/8" OD and 3" long. Ian McWee of Diamond suggested it because it's much heavier than his glass lap bars, which are less than 3 ounces. He couldn't sell it for bottleneck playing, since the finger hole is very short -- it doesn't even cover my little finger -- which means extra glass (and mass) at the tip. My tricone seems to respond best to it; my Superior and Oahu still need something heavier.

I'm hoping I'll find a Slipperyslide under the tree, too ... since I couldn't wait and ordered a Red Rajah yesterday.