Found lots of old country albums

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Leslie Ehrlich

Found lots of old country albums

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Every year the local symphony orchestra has a book and music sale as a fundraising event. Volunteers collect old books, records, etc. that people don't want any more and sell them dirt cheap to raise money for the symphony.

So, I try to take in the sale every year, and I usually buy something. I don't care much for records any more since I've become accustomed to the clarity of digital audio, but just for curiosity's sake I decided to look through some of the records.

I went over to the 'country' section, and this time around I found tons of old albums I'd never find in used record stores. Glen Campbell, Merle Haggard, and Buck Owens albums from the 1960s, various artist compilations from the 1950s and 1960s, Eddy Arnold and Ray Price albums, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Pride, and even a bunch of Canadian country artists from the past. It was a 'traditional' country music lover's delight.

In that pile of records I found one album I just had to buy. I was taken back to Christmas of 1966, when my father bought the family a record player and a couple of records to play on it. One of those records was a various artists compilation called 'The Country Stars! The Country Hits!' It was on the RCA Camden label and had the following songs:

Side 1
Take Me In Your Arms And Hold Me - Eddy Arnold
Wildwood Flower - Chet Atkins
My Filipino Rose - Hank Snow
Cigareetes And Whusky - Homer and Jethro
Chime Bells - Elton Britt
Blues In My Heart - Don Gibson

Side 2
Waiting For A Train - Jim Reeves
The Nashville Waltz - Pee Wee King
Down Yonder - Gid Tanner
Born To Lose - Porter Wagoner
I'm Thinking Tonight Of My Blue Eyes - Montana Slim
Under The Double Eagle - Bill Boyd

As soon as I saw the album I snapped it up, and I could wait to play it. Some of the songs I haven't heard in over thirty years. Now I know I'm getting old.

R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

In reading your post ,it takes me back many tears, The old song "Born to Lose ,goes back to the 40`s Asyeel guitarist Ted Daffin , down around San Antonia Tex. put that song out with Leon Seago singing it. Spent spme time with Leon , In Service ,during W W 2, He was pretty rough character ,

R. L.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Gid Tanner is one of my heroes- I found an old Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers records years ago and just loved it. I even had a T-shirt that said GET RIGHT WITH GID!

------------------
Sierra S8, Polytone Mini-Brute IV, Gibson GA30RVT, Teese RMC2 Wah, pyrex and bakelite bars