CD changer blues

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Steve Frost

CD changer blues

Post by Steve Frost »

I have an Aiwa stereo unit with a 3 CD changer. It's about 5 years old. The issue is that sometimes when I put a CD in, the changer will rotate around and around, unable to locate the CD. Is there a fix for this? I tried a lens cleaning disc, but it didn't fix it. Is this a "Replace it,it's past its 2 year life expectancy" situation, or is there something I can do? It's one of those intermittent problems that make you crazy! Thanks !
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Does it do it with "any" CD or only certain CD's (e.g. ones that have been burned with a PC)?

If it's ones that have been burned on a PC, cut the burning speed down to 12X or less (I use 8X as my "standard").
Steve Frost

Post by Steve Frost »

Hi Jack- it does it with any CD, commercial or burned. I just don't know how these devices work to be able tojudge whether it's an electronic glitch, or a dirty sensor, ...or something else. I'm just hoping the collective genius of the Forum has an answer!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Agreed on the burning speed, I never burn faster than 8x myself. Also, the new copy protections that some record companies put on their CDs makes them unplayable on several types of players, including some older ones.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Les Pierce

Post by Les Pierce »

For what it's worth, this is the 3rd Aiwa stereo that I know of that has lost it's CD player. I had one, and a friend of mine had one, and now it sounds like you have one, also.

I have a feeling it's on it's way out.

Les
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Steve,

In my experience, CD players fade after a few years and eventually have difficulty reading some CDs, even commercially stamped CDs. The laser that is used to read the digital info on the discs just fades over time, and the player unit is eventually unable to work with some discs. Lens cleaners basically do nothing because dust (or even focal alignment) is not the problem. I've had this happen to a nice 5-disc Phillips changer, a couple boomboxes, and a number of portable players I've owned. They just faded away. It's basically a function of the number of hours of play time (read: laser life), and that's it. It's a big waste, because the only thing that's "wrong" with these units is a faded laser. Everything else is fine. As far as I know, finding replacement laser assemblies is essentially impossible. Image

------------------
<font size=1>Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | MSA U12 | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 27 February 2005 at 06:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
If I could offer a shameless plug, I've enjoyed very good longevity from a Kenwood 5 disc carousel that I purchased from the Crutchfield catalog.
It's a stand alone unit that I patch to my receiver.
Steve Frost

Post by Steve Frost »

Thanks guys- I was hoping for an easy fix, but I sort of suspected that it was just getting sloppy. I'll have to see what I can patch in. Hopefully its got some inputs on the back. I don't require the carousel, but it would be nice to pop in a CD and have it play on demand!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I had that problem with an Aiwa 3-disc and the cleaner worked like magic for me. It was one of those with the little "whiskers", which I presume dust off the lens or whatever critical internals they pass over.

The cleaner failed to bring it back after lightning hit it though. Image

------------------
HagFan

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

There's a number of 5-disc carousel CD players available now for under $75. With prices that low, I'd consider one that broke after 5 years use "disposable".
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

I'll agree with Donny. I've NEVER had a cd player last even 5 years, so I'd say you're doin' pretty good Image . It's time for a new one.