Vintage National Picks

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Charlie Campney

Vintage National Picks

Post by Charlie Campney »

I know these picks are collectible, but isn't this something else ? ? ? How many of you old timers got a bag full of these ? ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3780501130&ssPageName=STRK:M ESO:IT
And this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3780501118&ssPageName=STRK:M ESO:IT <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Charlie Campney on 11 February 2005 at 07:36 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

ABSURD!!! A banjo player in SC was buying a bunch of those old Nationals, I guess he thought it'd make him play better---He should have taken some lessons.
Jim Hinton

Post by Jim Hinton »

Jeff Newman insisted that his students use those exact picks.

I first took lessons from him in 1979, and have at least 3-4 sets of them still.

Gee, anyone want to pay me $250 a set, I could be convinced to part with a couple of them.

;-)
Rick Ulrich

Post by Rick Ulrich »

You gotta be kiddin'!! I must have a $1,000 worth rolling around in the bottom of my old briefcase. I better get them out and polish them up and treat them with respect.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

A friend of mine works in a music store that deals vintage stuff. The first thing he does when a lap steel comes in is rummage through the case and get out all the old picks! People think that these old picks will make them sound like their old heros I guess----anybody have a Chet Atkins thumbpick? ;-)
John Pelz

Post by John Pelz »

Oh my goodness, that is insane! Someone has way too much money on their hands. (Wish they'd give me some of it...) Image I'm just glad to see that the reserve has been met...
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

I just checked my stash of old Nationals. At 2 per set and $212.00 per set, I have $3,180.00 worth of them. I keep them in a parts bin above my work table. Maybe I should show a little more respect and give them a better storage place. Think I'll bring them in the house and let them age some more.................
and then there's the old Dunlops! Wonder what they're worth????<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by les green on 11 February 2005 at 02:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Charlie Campney

Post by Charlie Campney »

This link will bring you to a page that will show the different versions of National picks:
http://www.deanhoffmeyer.com/nationalpicks/frameset.htm
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

The "Financing Available" notice on the page made me smile.

I never thought of financing a set of picks.
RANDALL COX

Post by RANDALL COX »

I still have about 50 of these picks from my store that I have put back.I did give Tom Morrell some two or three years ago, I hope they keep going up.