Deke's Guitar Geek Festival

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kerry Wood

Deke's Guitar Geek Festival

Post by Kerry Wood »

I sure wish I was living in California and could easily go to this one. From the info on this write-up here it looks like Jeremy Wakefield's new record is coming out soon and is named "Steel Guitar Caviar" - it's been talked about before, and I think was originally going to be "Steel Guitar Serenade" - anyways it's great news and I can't wait.

Kerry

Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kerry Wood on 03 January 2005 at 03:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

What the heck is that thing Brian Lonbeck is playing??
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I can't let any Deke Posts go by without having some input.

Watching that guy play his cool, deadly accurate, tasteful music in person is like going to an accupuncturist for musicians.

I was able to be in a band that opened for him some months ago, and came away with little memory of anything but him and his self assured demeanor, and a resolve to incorporate it in my own playing.

It was just that simple. He has something that is infectious, and contagious.

Class, Cool, and Commitment.

Now that mine has worn a little thin, as it sometimes does, I could sure use another fix.

Probably the only band I've ever "opened for" that I'd actually buy a ticket to go see.

Go Deke!.

Can't say enough about the young man.

He'd just bought a stand up Wright with two pedals and was anxious to set it up and play it when I saw him last.

EJL
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

What Eric says 'bout Deke goes just as well with TK Smith and JW. Even though they're not really frontmen like Deke, but the command these guys have on their instruments is amazing, not to mention they're class acts from head to toe. I've known Deke for some ten years now, and he always seems to come up with something totally unique, cool and bizarre too. This show is just one example ( but one of the best ). There's going to be quite a few dropped jaws that night, I'm pretty sure.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

But there ain't no Jimmy Bryant tribute...
a travesty.
Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

I spent a bit of time with TK when he was in Big Sandy and the Fly Right Trio - he can "do" Jimmy Bryant. It's just scary.

Ian
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

David; TK and Jeremy did a Speedy & Jimmy tribute at the last year's Guitar Geek show.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

That's a pretty good lineup there. I've never heard any of them except Brian Lonbeck & Nokie Edwards. Brian is an old bud of mine from the SoCal days and is one exceptional picker. Whatever that thing he's holding ain't what he plays. He usually plays a Mosrite Double Neck like Deke's holding. Brian was a student of Joe Maphis and can pick just like him when he wants to. He also plays good fiddle. He used to use a 3/4 size fiddle and lay it between the necks of his Mosrite so he'd only have to use one case. He worked for Semie Mosley for a while helping to build Mosrites and also did a stint playing lead for the Mandrell family band featuring Barbara. I had the pleasure of meeting Nokie Edwards in the middle 70's when I was working part time in a music store in Inglewood, Ca. Our guitar teacher (Al Bruno) brought Nokie to the store and I installed a 4 lever Bigsby Palm Pedal on an old Telecaster for him. He's mostly known for the Venture's stuff but this guy is one of the best finger stylists out there. He's also one of the tastiest you ever heard. I remember once at an after hours at the Imperial Inn in SoCal there were 4 hot guitarists on stage at once and everyone was playing their best stuff and trying to squeeze as many notes into each measure as possible. When ol' Nokie's turn came he just killed 'em with taste and technique. A very impressive picker to say the least!! I wish I could make this show....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Brian Lonbeck is playing a double neck uke! It's a plastic necked instrument made by the Swaggerty Company in California in the mid 1960s. The long neck had that extension, so it could be stuck in the beach sand while the owner was surfing. Really.

------------------
Dan Sawyer
Carvin D8, Rickenbacher B6, Fender Deluxe 8® (stringmaster), Fender Deluxe 8 (trap), Gibson EH-150, Wayne Lap Steel, Fender "White" 6-string w legs, Carvin steel w HiseTri-plex.

Kerry Wood

Post by Kerry Wood »

Have any of you Californians (or anyone else) that are out there "in the loop" heard any sneak previews or inside information on the 'Steel Guitar Caviar' album? Any word on a release date? I'm really looking forward to this coming out.

Kerry
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

That show sounds very interesting and it's in two weeks and a day after my birthday. I'll be 36, if you're dislexic.

We usually make it a weekend with shows in Anaheim, maybe two hours from my house. We get a room, buzz down on fri nite and come home Sunday.

I've never been to the Odd Fellows lodge there. How big can it be? And the price sure is right. I'll have to look into it.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

DEKE'S GUITAR GEEK FESTIVAL #2
NAMM Show Weekend Blowout!
SATURDAY JANUARY 22nd
at the ODD FELLOWS HALL
721 S. Anaheim Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92805

BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE at http://www.dekedickerson.com. You must have
popups enabled o­n your browser. You can also PayPal Deke directly at eccofonic(at)earthlink.net (but be sure to note that your payment is for Guitar Geek Fest tix!). Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door.

Featuring this lineup of stars:

DEKE DICKERSON & THE ECCO-FONICS
Deke and the boys return with their usual brand of guitar-related mayhem, including a follow-up to last year's showstopper that will leave everyone's jaw hitting the floor! We are promising a double- neck trainwreck of epic proportions!

SPECIAL GUEST OF HONOR
NOKIE EDWARDS of the Ventures appearing with VENTURESMANIA!
You loved Venturesmania last year, doing their tribute to the Ventures' 1965 classic sound. Now this year we bring you the man who played lead guitar o­n those classic records: NOKIE EDWARDS HIMSELF!
Don't miss this opportunity to see a true music legend in action!

T.K. SMITH's tribute to Gene Vincent's lead guitarist CLIFF GALLUP featuring vocals by BIG SANDY!
Cliff Gallup was the original lead guitar player for Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps, and his playing set the standard for all rockabilly
guitar players who followed him! T.K. Smith is a household word among guitar players for his work with Big Sandy & the Fly-Rite Trio, the Smith's Ranch Boys, and the Bonebrake Syncopators. Now watch in amazement as he pulls off those classic Cliff Gallup licks with his old boss Big Sandy singing the tunes! If you miss this, your friends
will never let you forget it!

JEREMY "J.W." WAKEFIELD
STEEL GUITAR CAVIAR!
Known as o­ne of the best steel guitar players in the world, specializing in the non-pedal steel guitar jazz of the 1940s, Jeremy Wakefield has played with the Lucky Stars, Wayne Hancock, and Asleep at the Wheel (not to mention the steel guitar sound effects heard o­n the "Spongebob Squarepants" show!). He has an upcoming album entitled "Steel Guitar Caviar" and he'll be wowing you with some great western swing and steel guitar jazz!

BRIAN LONBECK!
FASTEST GUITAR IN THE WEST!
Last year Brian Lonbeck did a tribute to Joe Maphis that blew everybody away! Brian is a legendary guitar player from Bakersfield
that used to play with Barbara Mandrell back in the 1960s, and he is a guitar player of frightening ability. This year we're going to let Brian stretch out a bit more and show how versatile a musician he is!
Prepare to have your hat blown into the creek!

DEL CASHER!
TRIBUTE TO LES PAUL
Del Casher is a legendary guitar player that you've probably heard a hundred times even if you don't know it! He's played o­n a thousand studio recordings, as well as being a member of the Three Suns and appearing behind Elvis in the movie "Roustabout." He demonstrated Ecco-Fonic tape echo units with Joe Maphis in the '50s, so we feel his pedigree for the Guitar Geek festival is flawless! In addition, Del has been friends with Les Paul since the '50s and can play in his style better than anyone else! Del will amaze you with his versions of the Les Paul classics like "How High The Moon" and others!

DAVE BUNKER!
MASTER OF THE DOUBLE NECK "TOUCH GUITAR!"
Dave Bunker invented his double-neck style of guitar playing in the 1950s in the Pacific Northwest. He has been making doubleneck guitars (as well as standard single-necks) to teach his amazing technique for almost 50 years! You will not believe your eyes when Dave starts playing -- it's a revolutionary style of which he is the master! He plays melodies o­n the top neck by tapping the strings with his right
hand, while playing bass by tapping with his left hand o­n the bottom neck! You must see it to believe it!!

FENDER GUITAR TO BE RAFFLED FOR CHARITY!

DOORS OPEN AT 6 PM! SHOW GOES FROM 7 PM UNTIL 1 AM

BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE at http://www.dekedickerson.com. You must have
popups enabled o­n your browser. You can also PayPal Deke directly at eccofonic(at)earthlink.net (but be sure to note that your payment is for Guitar Geek Fest tickets!). Tix are $18 in advance, $20 at the door.

===========
I got this from some fan lists, sounds like a brilliant nite for all.