Opry Dress Code

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

kyle reid

Opry Dress Code

Post by kyle reid »

I thought Darryl Worley took it to a new low?
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

Ya got to have at least one who's wearing one of them LongRider coats in the middle of July. One good ole boy with a white cowboy hat or black if you a rebel. One with an earring and his shirt tail hanging out. Then ya need one of the biggest dumbest looking idiots who's real good at spinning a mic stand and jumping up & down, prancing across the stage, oh and wearing a longrider coat and a black hat and some Mr.T jewelry. A tongue ring and hog ring in your nose are soon to be required of any legitimate "Country Star"
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Some of the deceased members of the Grand Ole Opry would roll over in their graves if they could see what is going on today. It is downright sickening. No respect for the Opry and those that have paved the way for the newer so called stars of today. I will most likely never go see the Opry the way it is right now. I bet Roy Acuff would throw a fit if he were here to see this tragedy going on today. It is very evident that even those in charge of the Opry do not care how the members dress. It is all about money and that is the bottom line. It makes me wonder if that is what people want to see these days. I do know this that us steel players would love to see the Opry go back to like it should be and that is real country music.
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

<SMALL>I thought Darryl Worley took it to a new low?</SMALL>
I agree, one shabby looking hombre.

And what was the name of the other band that played last night?
They were really lame.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I thought guys like Darryl Worley and Toby Keith were exempt from dress codes??
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Now that we've determined that the Opry has gone way down hill, and the deceased former Opry stars would roll over in their grave if they saw the way they dress, it's time
to determine by poll which former Opry star would be most upset about this demeaning dress. Please pick your favourite:

1) Grandpa Jones
2) Stringbean
3) The Fruit Jar Drinkers
4) The Possum Hunters
5) Cousin Jody
6) The Gully Jumpers

-John
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

My vote would go to the Solume old Judge, George Haye ! Can you imagine his reaction ? Image

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF www.geocities.com/squire592001/jason.html

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 14 November 2004 at 06:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

prolly COusin Jody- but only if Daryl takes his dentures out
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum10/HTML/003267.html

From August 2003

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Barbara Hennerman

Post by Barbara Hennerman »

*<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barbara Hennerman on 21 August 2006 at 01:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

In spite of how Darrel Worley and Toby Keith may dress I admire them for the way they stand up for America against the left leaning commie pinko liberals!! No offense Mike P...............JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Just an observation:

Since everyone agrees the Opry pretty much has gone to hell by all the new members playing, for all intents and purposes, rock and roll music, why is there such an outcry when the rock and rollers dress and act like rock and rollers?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

With the money Toby is saving on uniforms, he is building a humongous restaurant/music theater in the Bricktown complex, downtown Oklahoma City! Image

www.genejones.com
James Lutz

Post by James Lutz »

The outcry is the expression that every human reaction stems from one of two emotions. Love or fear. Everything humans do or feels, comes from one of these two sources.

Those that love something (the Opry, in this example) don't like the way it is now run etc. They do not like the way it has changed. Fear of change is a control issue. I know what's best, this is how is should be done, any other way is wrong. That's fear.

As for the commie pinko quip, and all the other political jabbing, that is fear coming from rage. We feel powerless and insignificant in the scope of our place in the world, in our government. We have to put trust in leadership and so often we are let down. The leaders fall short, because once again, we know what's best, and how things should be done and that's all there is to it. No wonder we get so mad at election time. There are a hundred million people with a hundred million personal agendas, and all hundred million of us think we are right and the other 99,999,999 are wrong. I think we have the fear thing down pretty well, wonder what it would be like to work from the love side of the equation.

Have a good one, and love your neighbor as you love yourself...
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I think the newer country artist should read this steel guitar forum to know how to sing! What to sing and most of all how to Dress before performing to any audience!
Yeah, that's my opinion.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I agree with that Theresa........If we listened to some of the folks on the Forum we'd all be playing, singing, and dressing like the country music folk did in the 50's and 60's. I like the freedom in the music and attitude that's going on now but I guess I'm in the minority.........JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

I think they should at least wear cloths. I saw at least 2 guys with no shirt. Even in restruants you have to have shirts and shoes. Donna
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

.......If we listened to some of the folks on the Forum we'd all be playing, singing, and dressing like the country music folk did in the 50's and 60's.

Now you're starting to get it(:

Change is usually not for the better. I prefer the 50's & 60's. No serial killer's or child molesters, at least not in my neck of the woods.
Ben Slaughter

Post by Ben Slaughter »

In defense of Darryl; who, by the way is a hell of a nice guy and who, I believe, is one of the few bright spots in country over the past few years; do you think there is a coincidence between what he wore on the Opry the other night and what he is wearing on his latest album cover?
See here: http://www.darrylworley.com/?inc=albums

Doesn't it make sense, since his album was released November 2nd?? Do you think that was his decision? And, have you ever seen him without that 5 o'clock shadow? Do you think he preferrs that?

Darrly Worley, a rock 'n' roller??? Please. There's more good fiddle and steel in one of his songs than you hear listening to 3 days of today's country radio.

What I found more offensive was the giagantic "Fender" sticker on the front apron of the steeler's Fessy!!!!!
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ben Slaughter on 15 November 2004 at 03:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

AMen on that Fender sticker on the "Fessy". I thought Darryl sounded great and I don't think the Opry audience was offended by his shirt.Seems to me the man is down to earth. I just picked up the CD today. I wonder how many listeners on WSM were offended by his shirt.This cat is a perfect blend of the past and has talent galore for the future.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ben
I'm not familiar with Darryl Worley's music, I'm sure he's great. I've played my share of country rock in my days and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the gig was good.

Rock and roll vs. country is not just about music, it's about attitude. Country is dress codes, rock and roll is torn blue jeans. Country is a baggy-pants comedian as bass player, rock and roll is flying on trapezes with wireless microphones while smoke bombs are going off onstage. Country is Buddy Emmons' solo on "The Other Woman," rock and roll is playing the solo on a blues slide guitar on the Opry.

Country is conservative and status quo, rock and roll is about rebellion. The Opry is lucky all it has to deal with is long hair and sloppy clothes.

Bands with rock attitudes can play traditional country music, guys like Alvin Crow, and especially like Asleep At The Wheel. Then there were the Progressive Country guys like Murphey, Stevenson, and Walker, the New Riders, the Byrds, the Burritos. And all the other country-rock guys from the 70's.

Pop rock bands can have country attitudes too Like The Carpenters, say. Or the Monkees. Cooperative, listen to the "suits," make the money, play the game. There's lots more, I'm sure

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 15 November 2004 at 04:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Toby Rider

Post by Toby Rider »

Since my teen-age years, I've tried to emulate George Strait in dress. The first time I saw him live, I thought he looked like he really meant business in those starched shirts, Wranglers (with no holes in the knees) and polished boots.

Some of my other heroes are rodeo cowboys. They always look neat, even after getting bucked off a bronc, or roping a calf.

So even though I like Darryl Worley's music alot, nothing is going to change the way that I dress when I go out to play a gig.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I'm afraid that if I ever get invited to play on National TV, I wouldn't wear the clothes I wear when I cut the lawn..or change the oil in the car.

Even now on gigs, I wear better than average
jeans and shirts..generally black jeans, not even blue ones...

I too find it curious that a performer can go out on stage looking like he took time off from Jiffy Lube to sing a tune or two...

oh well..

t