Leavitt tuning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Christer Fredriksen

Leavitt tuning

Post by Christer Fredriksen »

I've been looking at the different tunings on Brads page of steel. I found the Leavitt tuning, and it seems that you can make a lot of nice "tension" chords with this tuning. I have read some of the interviews in Andy Volks book, and I haven't found anybody who uses this exact tuning.(I haven't read all of them, so I may have missed out some) If any of you players have tried it, can you please give some input here?
Thanks, Christer
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I have tried it in the period when I was waiting for my D-10 to get here.
It is very interesting.

Try Mike Idhe's A Different Slant CD available in the forum catalog. Nice CD and totally done Leavit Tuning.

He also has some TAB of the songs available. This would go a LONG way to understanding it's intricasies and pitfalls.

Mike was a friend of the late Bill Leavitt and carries on the flame for him.

Is Kristiansand near Trondheim?
I have been there, Oslo, Tromso and Senja Island.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 15 December 2003 at 09:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
Christer Fredriksen

Thank's for your reply David!
Kristiansand is actually closer to Oslo than Trondheim. Kristiansand would be a 4-5 hour drive from Oslo.
Where you here on holiday, or working?
Christer<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Christer Fredriksen on 15 December 2003 at 09:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
David L. Donald

Honeymoon actually. Took the mailboat from Tronheim to Tromso and then spent a few days ion Senya. End of July / beginning Aug '96. Real nice.

But also I have a whole raft of cousins (17-18) on Nasoya island in Olso.

They run Ferner Jacobson store in Oslo.
My Oslo taylors ! And some of the nicest people I have ever met, even if I wasn't related to them.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 15 December 2003 at 04:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

Chris,
E-mail me at...
thephotodoctor@comcast.net
and I'll send you all the info on the Leavitt Tuning. Also, check my CD and TAB book in the forum shop... http://steelguitarmusic.com/music/mikeihde.html
Christer Fredriksen

David: I guess you are very well dressed at all times if you have cousins working in Ferner J..

Mike: I have mailed you. Thanks<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Christer Fredriksen on 16 December 2003 at 04:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
David L. Donald

Christer, actually they are all Ferners.

Except the daughters who married and have the husbands names of course. But they of course were born Ferners. Really a nice bunch of cousins.

My father's sister married Finn Ferner.
And they are all better dressed than my typical relaxed style. LOL.

Definitely contact Mike, he knows this tuning better than anybody.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 16 December 2003 at 07:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Harry Williams

Post by Harry Williams »

A couple other things about the Leavitt tuning. It's really easy to change back and forth from this tuning to a C6 tuning or variant thereof. The open chord is a diminished chord on the bottom 4 strings! Mike has a column in Pedal Steel magazine - issue one had a version on "Moon River".

I don't have any relatives in Norway, but I'm hoping for a visit from some Norwegian reindeer in about week!!

------------------
Christer Fredriksen

Thanks for your reply!
I'll put in a word for you, Santa is my neighbour... Image
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

<SMALL>I'm hoping for a visit from some Norwegian reindeer in about week!!</SMALL>
Uh oh. Sorry to dissapoint you, but you see, thing is that I went hunting earlier this week, and..... errhm, you know..... accidents happens... Sorry about that.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com