Microphone for Dobro

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Walter Glockler

Microphone for Dobro

Post by Walter Glockler »

What would be a good microphone for a Dobro - right now I am using a Shure SM 57, which is not bad, but are there any better ones available ? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Andy Zynda

Post by Andy Zynda »

Live onstage, or studio?
Onstage, a 57 is a very good choice.
In the studio, man, there's about a dozen I can think of, all having their own characteristics.
-andy-
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Last night I used the same Mic live that I often use in the studio- a JoeMeek large diaphram condensor. The Hall we played in only has dynamics available, so I brought my own. The JoeMeeks are discontinued, but evolved into what I believe is the Studio Projects C-1 which are around $199. If the band's really loud, monitoring gets to be a feedback problem, but we had a fairly stiff stage volume with full drum kit three feet from me, and it worked well, many compliments from crew and crowd on the tone.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Walter Glockler

Andy, it would be for onstage, but the problem could also be our PA system. They crank me up all the way, and my dobro is still not coming through even though we're not playing very loud ( no drum kit ). Anyway thanks for your suggestions.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Could it be where you put the mic? I get the best & strongest sound with a SM-57 in the vicinity of those three little soundholes at the base of the fingerboard, maybe tipped a little toward the treble side.
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

Audio Technica ATM35 works for me. Condensor mic on a mini gooseneck that clamps right on the cone cover.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Consider the NEW Fishman active pickup. It reproduces the dobro exactly. I use one and our sound man loves it.
Alan Ames

Post by Alan Ames »

Welcome to the 'heartache' club for amplifying dobros. I have tried so many that my wallet aches. I have been getting conflicting reports on the Fishman; I am hesitant to try another. Fishman seems to have stolen this idea from Schatten pickups in Canada. Which is better: the Fishman or the Schatten? I don't know.
I have heard other good remarks about the Audio Technica ATM35. I have a Shure SM98, which is also a mini that clamps on the cover plate. Pretty nice, but I have not used it on a live stage setting yet. The SM98 is what Bela Fleck uses on his Gibson banjo and supposedly what Jerry Douglas uses sometimes, but I get conflicting reports on that. I know he uses a large diaphram condenser, the Shure KSM-something.
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

Oh no, not this question? I have hounded every forum known for an answer to this simple question. The one thing I've gathered is there is NO simple solution to amplifying this instrument. I'm sure some will argue this fact and some will agree. I don't think there is a pickup made that will come anywhere close to reproducing the natural sound of this instrument. If in fact you want it to sound exactly the way it does acousticly. I understand some use a mic and pickup in combination. With 70% mic and 30% pickup gain. I wish I could tell you which mic to use. If I knew I'd have one myself. You can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. I've been told that mics ranging from $30 to $500 sound great. My problem with this is peoples idea of what sounds great are extremely subjective. Otherwise we'd all be usin a $30 radio shack clip on mic because it would sound just as good as that $500 Shure condensor. In the end, no one can answer this question for you. Your gonna have to go and try out mics for yourself and find a mic and or combination of mic and pickup that gets the sound You want. I haven't looked extensively myself but I have tried a number of mics and eq's and I have not found anything I would remotely consider using.

I do have a fishman pickup in my guitar and I will assure you that you can't just simply plug and play! The instructions on the box says just plug into your amp or P.A. and your ready to go. That part is right. Your ready to go running for the volumn knob because that sucker will feedback like nothing you've ever heard. You will definately need some sort of feedback eliminator for it to be usable. I've heard good things about the Peavey Ferret. Like anything else, the accessories will cost as much or more than your instrument. Good luck.

cf
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

I don't play dobro, but -
The nicest stage sound I've ever heard was from Junior Barber.
He didn't seem to have any trouble projecting loud and clear. I believe he uses both a microphone and a pickup (a condenser, mounted inside, perhaps? I asked him, now I can't remember)
I know it's a perennial problem, and I've never heard anyone overcome it like this cat. My favourite reso guy.
-John
Walter Glockler

Thanks for all the information and suggestions, I think will check out the Fishman pickup.
WG
Cindy Cashdollar

Post by Cindy Cashdollar »

Has anyone heard reports about the AKG C 1000 condenser mic? I've heard it's a good Dobro mic for live performance, but haven't checked into it yet.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

<SMALL>Has anyone heard reports about the AKG C 1000 condenser mic? I've heard it's a good Dobro mic for live performance, but haven't checked into it yet.</SMALL>
The C1000 is a nice mic for the money. You can get a two pack of them for $299 in most stores. If you know someone you can get one for around $120.
They can be used as a hypercardioid(helps block out other instruments) with phantom power or a 9 volt battery. They do have a little boost around 5K and kind of drop off around 7-8K.

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I just assume that people use notch filters on their amps to eliminate feed back. The Fishman does not feed back at all into my Peavey Ecoustic 112 at high volume. Sounds exactly like the dobro through the mains on a show. All dobro pickups feed back without a notch filter on the amp or a feed back eliminator. Thats a given.
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

SO whats better, a Peavey feedback ferret, or the Savine feedback supressor?

anyone tried both?
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I gave up on live mics. I use an LR Baggs paracoustic DI at this point for my dobro. It works great.

Bob
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

Check out an excellent, tiny (and pricey) mic from a Swedish company DPA.
The sound is unbelievably wonderful whether you use it on Grand piano or acoustic guitar. I'm sure it would cope with a Dobro.
I was thinking of buying one for a semi-acoustic bass I built, but I could not stop running this imaginary conversation with my wife.
"Hey darling, I bought this wonderful Mic, only £300 and it sounds fabulous!"
"OK love, show me."
"Erm, it's here somewhere, hang on, I must have dropped it....... "
It's very small!
You'll find them here:- http://www.dpamicrophones.com/eng_pub/
Cheers
Dave
PS if you want to learn just about all their is to know about microphones, read DPA's "Microphone University"
D<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 04 December 2003 at 02:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

The AKG C1000 is what I use every weekend at the Manvel (Texas) Opry. Very clean and clear. Keep the mike towards the '2 O'clock' position on the outside edge of the cover plate (as you are looking down playing) to get more treble and sparkle. For the Opry, I am playing a Tut Taylor Virginian reso guitar. As with any mike on stage, try to keep away from the monitor speakers as much as you can.

Thanx,
Jim
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

Has anyone tried the AKG 451?

or the large diphragm Oktava?

I'm going to test a few mics this month and nezt.
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

I record reso with an AKG 451 all the time. Haven't tried it live, but it would be great, I'm sure. I've used 451s live for other instruments on many occasions. Great all-around mic. Been using mine for 24 years.

------------------
Tim Tweedale

Post by Tim Tweedale »

HUGE Kudos to the newest Fishman reso pickup. I heard a guy using this on his dobro plugged into a Roland amp on Friday. This thing sounds great and it actually reproduces some of the actual tone of the instrument. I feel a bit stung by the McIntyre feather... It may just be bad positioning (though it was installed according to the instructions), but no matter how much EQing I do, even through a decent PA it still sounds too boxy to be usable.

-Tim
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Sounding good with a mic is easy. Dealing with feedback is not. What's the best sounding mic?....A large condensor mic of course. Which mic is most sensitive to feedback in a live sound situation? A large condensor mic.

The Fishman reso pickup is OK, but it will also feedback in a high volume environment. Paying more attention to monitor placement, and using notch filters to cut the offending freq's will solve most of the problems. Blending the Fishman reso sound with a good mic seems to work well. maybe 20% pickup, 80% mic. Put a rug on the floor where you stand. This will help some.

Ron
Keith DeLong

Post by Keith DeLong »

I have a Schatten pickup, it sounds really natural, but I use a small Yamaha graphic EQ between it and the PA, and I pull down the level at 200 hz about 6 db and roll off the top a bit. Using a mic with electric instruments all around you and a full drum kit is nearly impossible, but an SM-57 would probably be my choice.