Be honest, are you traditional Country or-------

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

YIKES! Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Olson on 19 August 2004 at 09:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

I like whatever music happens to stick to me. I even like some of what is on the country radio waves these days. It doesn't hurt that today's "country" musicianship is often provided by Paul franklin, Brent Mason, Larry Franklin, Jerry Douglas, Bruce Bouton, Sonny Garrish, and/or other world class players. Image If it hits me right, I like it. Enough to buy it (usually a song at a time on iTunes). I don't require it to fit any category. I apply the heading "country" loosely, I guess, by more traditional standards. Maybe that's a fault of mine, but it leaves me enjoying a broad range of tunes, some of which I might otherwise tune out.

------------------
<font size=1>Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?</font>
Don Joslin

Post by Don Joslin »

Tay - Like I told you before, there is a very fond place in my heart for traditional country. I'll share it here too that when I was a kid my Mom would sing Bob Wills to me. I used to watch both Porter Wagoner and The Buck Owens Show every Sunday afternoon. That stuff is nothing short of great. But remember that it was a fusion of country, blues, and big band music that gave us Western Swing. Country itself grew out of folk, mountain, and bluegrass styles. The fusion of various styles often results in a wonderful hybrid. Though they are usually not recognized as great until they become classic. The beauty is that the hybrid along with the contributing styles can remain viable. I would hate to see traditional country music forgotten.

Richard Sinkler & R. L. Jones - this is to both of you. This is a FORUM which means we are all free to express opinions. What makes it a FORUM and not a BRAWL is that we are supposed to do it with respect. I think you owe each other and the rest of us an apology. Not for your opinions but for the way you expressed them.

Mike Perlowin - I love Stravinsky. I'd love to hear your CD. Where can I find it?

Jim Peters - Hey Jim, I'm all about Poco, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Marshall Tucker, and the Eagles! Image

Don

------------------
Image "When you come to a fork in the road, take it! ~ Yogi Berra

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Don Joslin on 19 August 2004 at 09:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

AND I SAY AGAIN!!!!!In the words of Glen Campbell. I play what I want how I want and in what ever style I want I am a musician!!!
I like new country (sometimes) but I have no real preference. Now saying that I will tell you 75% of my CD collection is steel guitar but it as well is very diverse.everything from robert randolph to speedy west and all in between. heck one of my favorite cd's is wade ray but right next to him in my collection is james taylor. Guess my answer to the question is ...I am nothing in particular just me!!!

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Don,- you can order the "Firebird Suite" CD here on the forum. Just click on 'CDs & tapes' on the top menu. I received my copy yesterday,- it's a quite amazing album!

My comments to the rest of this discussion is: Image

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 20 August 2004 at 01:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Just to throw another few nuts in the bowl, there is a centuries-long tradition of playing acoustic stringed instruments in India with slides. Many people feel that an Indian sailor playing a vichitra veena went to Hawaii and kicked this whole thing off. http://makar-records.com/siteus/frameinstrument.html
(scroll down the right for "vichitra veena.")
Modern Indian lap slide guitarists Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and Debashish Bhattacharya have the most amazing bar control I've ever heard. They come from a country, they play traditional music... at what year or point do you specifically draw the line between "new" country and "traditional" country? 1975? 1982? Garth Brooks? I'd personally be inclined to try to draw the line between "self-generated" music and "manufactured-by-MBA's" music, but it'd be a mighty blurry line these days.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

These topics amaze me! Image
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

I may have my cart and horse hooked up the wrong way, but I came to play the steel guitar because of my love for traditional country music. If it weren't the steel it would probably be the fiddle. I'm not so enamoured of the instrument in and of itself, and have no interest in expanding it for other applications. That's perfectly fine for innovators, such as Mike Perlowin, and I wish them all the best. Of course, I love other kinds of music as well.

Back to the original question, yes, I am a traditionalist. Most of the music I play was written before I was born and the rest of it we (my band and I) wrote and it sounds like it was, too. My little niche and mission is keeping this kind of music alive and growing. Makes me happy.

Lastly, what has happened to civility on this forum, gentlemen? We all have strong opinions about some of these topics, but can we not respectfully disagree with one another, without the bashing?
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Don , you are right, for my part ,, My most humble apologies, to all the Forumites, I too love this forum and all the Steelers.
It was late and let this one post set me off, ,,no one has the need to criticize anothers, choosing of any thing .

I shall continue to visit this place , Bob sir you have my blessing to choose to delete my post If I knew how I would do it

Mr. Sinkler , I Apologise

R. L. Jones
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I apologize also. I did not mean to start a fight here, I just wanted to say that this topic has been discussed several times in the past and it always ends up with the same responses. I don't know why we have to debate this issue any further. It's like with anything in life, you like what you like and I like what I like.

Mr. Jones. No problem. I was actually amused by your post. By the way, I probably spend a lot of time listening to the same stuff you listen to.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400
Savell

Post by Savell »

Wow... Where is Ted and Tim when you need them?

Here's a thought:

1) Music is a wonderful thang!
2) Traditional is a big word!
3) Everybody don't like _______ ! (insert your style here)
4) Good sound is relative!

I read once where the music was described as "The Pretty in the Music". Now that's what I try to make. Whether I am playing bass, keyboard, lead, steel, banjo, mandolin, fiddle with a band that calls itself country, jazz, pop, rock, traditional, contemporary, secular or gospel. It's a certain sound and I can reckonize it when I hear it anywhere anytime from anybody.

Sometimes I like to let that side of me rest a spell. I can then enjoy a little Hendrix, Dave Matthis, Clapton, and [check this out] Ricky Skaggs or Junior Brown. I get just as wrapped up in that type of tempo until Alison Kraus comes on the radio. Then I'm right back into the Pretty again.

Before you know it, I have stuck a George Jones CD in the player. My mind is running with the steel licks.

Music is a strange thing. It drives the mood of the moment. Can you image the fights, hatred, and discontent that we would be engulfed with if we could not share the varieties of musical styles throughout the day.

I would be a wad of mush if all I heard was the Pretty. Likewise I would be a terror to deal with if all I heard was Alice Cooper.

God help us to continue to have it all.

Right now as I write this, a song call "She beat the Cheat out of me" is being played on the internet. Not sure how I feel about this one.

See Ya!

------------------
Savell Norsworthy
Fessenden SD10/Nashville 400;Fender Telecaster;Alembic Epic Bass/Peavey TNT115 Sheffield
Savell Ministries<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Savell on 20 August 2004 at 06:48 AM.]</p></FONT>
Don Joslin

Post by Don Joslin »

Richard Sinkler & R. L. Jones - apology accepted. 'Nuff said.

Steinar - thanks, you're the best!

Don

------------------
Image "When you come to a fork in the road, take it! ~ Yogi Berra

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

As this thread goes along it's herky jerky course.
I think I would interpret the Traditional Country being pined for as :

1955-1970 Nashville
with nods towards
70's Bakersfield, Bluegrass and a little 40-50's Western swing.

I personaly find that a rather narrow perspective,
but hey, you like what you like.

I like much of that, and dozens of things all around it.

In the Western Swing the steelers were the ones putting the jazz into the cowboy style.
In Nashville the steelers were putting in the tears for the beers.

To get to Terry's question Traditional Country, not OR, but AND.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 20 August 2004 at 09:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Edited . Image

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 20 August 2004 at 08:40 AM.]</p></FONT>
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

No I don't like the JUNK that is being played nowadays, rock or country. As I get older I'm beginning to think that popular music just plain sucks. Listening to all that mainstream stuff is like eating fast food, and I think that it's marketed in the same way. It's more about style than content, and image more than substance.
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Ladies and Gentlemen:
It has never been my intention to offend or irritate anyone in our beloved Forum family. We do, however, resemble the Congressional floor upon occasion; we argue, gripe, dispute, fuss, cuss, spit, get mad, and get nowhere. Perhaps I should (as a young fella) just stand back and listen. It really is not my place to interfere with those of you in the professional community. Please allow me to suggest one final thought here: you West Coast folks are in the same boat as Buck Owens, Tommy Collins, Wynn Stewart, and Merle Haggard were in forty years ago; they could not get along with the Nashville system, either. Well, I live about three hours east of Nashville (near Memphis), and Nashville is no longer traditional, nor is Memphis, for that matter. It appears that many of us who cling to tradition are disputing that fact with those of you from the West Coast. For us, it is a "local flavor" type thing; for you folks out West, it is a "local flavor" thing. I do not want to be remembered as being ignorant or non-negotiable, but let's all do a better job in keeping things cordial, decent, and tasteful. Thank you very much!

Yours truly,
Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

It is ironic to me that we seldom have any "name brand" steel players respond to our thoughts. It makes me think we have ticked 'em off by allowing our ignorance to prevail. In the words of Don Joslin, 'NUFF SAID!
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 08:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

You're absolutely right; they DO have better things to do, such as looking for work. While they just want to get by financially, we sit here and wallow in our own filth! I have had it up to my throat with the lack of decency portrayed by some of you gentlemen (not you, Mr. Phelps). Why can't we all get on the same page and help promote our beloved instrument- PERIOD?! I hate reminding everyone that I'm 24 years old, but if the rest of you in the family don't start to nurture us young fellas, there won't be a steel player left to attend your funeral! Pardon the brash remark, but it's not like we're going through a nasty divorce here; we all can contribute to the promotion of this instrument. Quite honestly, I need to buddy-up with some of you and start learning. Please accept my plea!

Yours truly,
Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 08:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Mr. Jim,
Our discussion about tradition did not bother me at all; at least you and I both agree on the fact that we love this instrument! My beef is with the select few who choose to use profanity to "color-up" their ideas; totally uncalled for! I hear enough of that sewage at work and on television; don't want to be exposed to it here. You are quite an intelligent gentleman so far as we've chatted, and I would expect no less if I were to meet you in person. Now, I realize I have gone way off topic concerning tradition, but that is secondary when it comes to decency. Do not worry, Mr. Phelps; you have in no way offended me. In contrast, some of these fellas need to be cracked right in the jaw; I would hate to know that some little kid has been reading (or using) some of the language submitted on the Forum. Do you really think that sort of filth will help to promote the steel guitar? I doubt it.
I hereby rest my case; no more discussions for me on this particular topic. I do not wish to be affiliated with the incompetency represented here (again, not you, Mr. Phelps; we'll have to chat again real soon). TAKE CARE!

Yours truly,
Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

Wayne Morgan

Post by Wayne Morgan »

From the famous words of Mr. Roy Roseta,
"Music is a gift that comes in many wrappings"
or something like that !!!!
I like re-living the Jones, Haggard, Twitty, and Price days, and I do often. Thank goodness for recordings.

Wayne
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

<SMALL>I like re-living the Jones, Haggard, Twitty, and Price days...</SMALL>
I bet that during those days, some people were complaining about the use of amplified guitars and drums, and saying that they longed for the good old days when everybody used acoustic guitars.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

<SMALL>I bet that during those days, some people were complaining about the use of amplified guitars and drums, and saying that they longed for the good old days when everybody used acoustic guitars.</SMALL>
And, during the "acoustic era" there were probably people who longed for the good old days when all you had was a stick and a piece of animal skin stretched across a hollow stump. Image
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Jim -And some people complained that the music was too loud.

Tay I,m 64 years old. 40 years ago I was your age. The poeple back than that, where my age today-64 or so, where saying the same thing

Thats not country,you guys play too loud I don't like that junk and on and on. I will not say-that all the New Country Music is junk,or I liked all the Old Country Music(?? old)but the great thing is we can pick what we like. Got to go now ,playing tonight, and we will be playing Save The Horse. Joe