Buck Owens and the Buckaroos

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Tay Joslin

Buck Owens and the Buckaroos

Post by Tay Joslin »

I have been a fan of Buck Owens and the Buckaroos all of my life. I have had the great privilege of meeting Tom Brumley, JayDee Maness, and Jerry Brightman, all three of whom were at the ISGC-2003 last year. There have been several recent posts concerning the 30th anniversary of Don Rich's tragic and untimely death. These gentlemen (including Doyle Holly and Willie Cantu) are my heroes! I have checked out every possible website for photos and stories, but I would like to know where to find more. Altavista, Yahoo, and Google Search all turn-up the exact same results. I know that Jerry Brightman has [url=http://www.slidestation.com,]www.slidestation.com,[/url] Buck has [url=http://www.buckowens.com,]www.buckowens.com,[/url] and Doyle Holly has [url=http://www.doyleholly.com;]www.doyleholly.com;[/url] great websites, but are there any others? PLEASE RESPOND!
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Jay,

I can be of NO help to you in your search. But because you are such a fan of the Buckaroos, I will share something with you that I had posted some years ago on this forum.

AS you know, Tom's most classic lick was when Buck recorded "Together Again". And it probably will stand as one of THE greatest pedal steel guitar licks ever. John Hughey's "Look at Us" is another one.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of being in Tom's home in Branson a few years back, and we got to talking about that lick amongst other things. And since you have met him, you know what wonderful person he is.

Well, I was telling Tom that there were some players arguing with me about the fact that he used a knee lever to get that lick. And Tom looked at me and smiled with that endearing grin and said,

"carl, they argue with me about it!"

He then added, "but that would have been quite a trick, since there were NO knee levers on that guitar!!"

To this day that serves as one of my fond memories of strange happenings in the world of PSG.

May Jesus bless Tom richly for what he has brought to soo many, and may he bless all of you,

carl
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Great story, Mr. Carl! I am only 24, so these stories are such a privilege to me. Thanks for sharing that with me!

Yours truly,
Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

Paul King

Post by Paul King »

A couple years ago my brother went to Branson to see the Brumley Show. He went to talk to Tom after the show and told him he was trying to learn to play the steel. Tom's reply was "So am I". I just found that to be such a great comment from someone who has been in the limelight and has been a steel player many of us have looked up to. That lick on "Together Again" is a classic I have used many times in playing myself. I too loved to hear the Buckaroo Band and the late Don Rich's playing is so unique even in this day we live in. I certainly miss his playing and singing.
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Thanks for that story, Mr. Paul! Tom is one of the nicest, most humble men I have ever had the privilege of meeting. SHARE MORE STORIES, PLEASE!
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

That KL fits right in with Roswell NM, the Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot as an (endearing) enduring legend Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 12 August 2004 at 03:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Brumley

Post by Doug Brumley »

Tay, I know Newbern is pretty far from Nashville, but I see that Willie Cantu is playing at Nashville Palace in a little over a week. I don't have any more info than what is below, but it sounds like you might be interested to know about it.

Saturday, August 21st
Debra Bradshaw w/Willie Cantu
Nashville Palace (615-885-1540)
8:30 pm; $5
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Thanks for the info, Mr. Doug! As I am certain you have been asked before, are you in any way related to Tom Brumley?
Doug Brumley

Post by Doug Brumley »

Tay, when I met Tom Brumley at last year's ISGC, I introduced myself and stated that I keep getting the question you just asked--whether or not I'm related to Tom Brumley. I told him that I answer, "No, there's no relation that I'm aware of." He then replied, "I'm sure we are! There aren't that many of us." Image

If he were to hear me play, he would surely disavow any genetic link. Here's hoping that the name or a gene or something rubs off on me as I learn this contraption. Image
Johnny Baldwin

Post by Johnny Baldwin »

Tay:

Have you tried this website? Its got some pretty cool Buck stuff. Also click on the "search" page in the forum and enter Buck Owens. Lots of stuff.
http://www.bakersfield.com/static/FP/baksound/alive.htm

------------------
Mike Bowles

Post by Mike Bowles »

i have been listening to buck and the buckaroos all morning some good stuff like mental cruelty a 11 together again and many more some really good stuff i found it in nc the other day
Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

Great stuff on Tom. I am a new member to the forum and I can't get enough of what you all have to offer. I, to, was and am a huge fan of Buck Owens and the Roos. Since I am 52 I had to learn every one of their songs when I was a kid strumming a guitar. When I first picked up the steel I had to immediatly learn "Together Again". I still put that in our play list whenever I can, especially if there is another steel player or steel fan in the audience. True steel players and fans love that lick and the song. Please keep the stories coming. Can't get enough of them.
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

I agree 100%, Ken! I am 24 and have always loved the Buckaroos, every one of them: Buck, Don, Doyle, Tom, and Willie. Then, there are "second" generation guys like JayDee Maness, Jerry Brightman, Jerry Wiggins, Jim Shaw, and Doyle Curtsinger. Yes, please keep those stories coming in! This is quite a privilege for me, too!

Yours truly,
Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

Go to Jerry Brightman's website and you will tons of Bakersfield stuff along with a tribute to Don Rich. www.slidestation.com