I'm not a juvenile delinquent

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Perlowin

I'm not a juvenile delinquent

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I must confess I have a perverted penchant for the so-atrocious-it's-funny. I heard this song by Frankie Lyman in a film soundtrack recently (I forget which movie) and it struck me that this has to be the dumbest song ever written, surpassing even "Surfin' Bird" (bird bird bird. Bird is a word) for sheer stupidity.

I wonder if those responsible actually thought that the gang bangers of the 50's would change their ways upon hearing the song, or if they were trying to paint a more wholesome picture of rock and roll to the people who were saying that it was either a satanic or communist plot.

Either way, I think the song is priceless.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>No no no no no no no no
No no no-oh no no no no no
No no-oh no I'm not
a juvenile delinquent.

Always do what's right.
And don't do nothin' wrong.
Always do what's nice.
You'll be in paradise.
I know
because I'm not a juvenile delinquent. </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I heard a good one from 107.1 Toronto a few weeks back, It's named "I'm an adult now". If anyone knows the group/artist let me know, it's really funny.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

That was a band called "The Persuit of Happiness"

Lyrics
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Dumb song, I agree, but far from being the dumbest ever written. Here in my town a local radio station has a show which maintains a weekly top ten "crap-list" Image . You wouldn't believe the songs that are being played there!! Compared to those Frankie Lymon's performance is pure poetry. On the other hand, Frankie didn't quite live up to the lyrics himself; he was a serious junkie and died as a heroin addict in-68.
The movie btw, is "Rock Rock Rock". <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jussi Huhtakangas on 07 April 2004 at 10:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Yes, I have no bananas
I have no bananas today
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Oh, it's from a movie. Then it's not rock'n'roll, it's a Hollywood imitation of rock'n'roll, probably written by middle-aged hack sound-track writers. That puts it in a whole other category. It has to compete with the beach-blanket bingo stuff for stupidity. There is no bottom to that pit. Image
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Actually, most of the songs in that movie were not specifically written for the script ( which isn't much to talk about ). Musically this particular movie features some of the best rock'n'roll of the era, take Johnny Burnette's "Lonesome Train" for example, or Jimmy Cavello's band. Which btw was one of the blackest sounding white r&b bands back then. Jimmy himself still is and is playing and sounding great. I saw Jimmy Cavello about a year and a half ago in England at the Rhythm Riot festival, incidentally, Frankie Lymon's brother Lewis Lymon was on the same show with some of the original Teenagers from his brother's band. Guess what song was in the set list? Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jussi Huhtakangas on 09 April 2004 at 01:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Anders Brundell

Post by Anders Brundell »

Mike - ask someone (not me, however - it's way too embarrassing for me) to translate some of the swedish dance band's songs for you, and you'll have more atrocious rubbish than you can survive.
The Surfing Bird people at least had fun when they did the song, but the swedish dance band song writers that I talk about are not even aware of their shortcomings. They think they write great songs when they write trash.

Anders
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

<SMALL>There's an endless list of songs with bad lyrics, that's for sure.</SMALL>
There's an equal endless list of bad singers to sing? them also. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 10 April 2004 at 08:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
FIONA TOMANY

Post by FIONA TOMANY »

Any Scottish (probably written by the English) that give the impression we romped about the hillside among the heather wearing kilts playing bagpipes. Its far from reality.
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

I'll tell you what I want,
What I really really want,
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna
I really really want
A zig a zig aah!

Surfing bird is Shakespeare and Milton compared to the Spice girls.

------------------
Cheers!
Dave

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 11 April 2004 at 10:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"Mellow Yellow"

Now <u>there</u> was a total waste of studio time. Image
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Fiona some of those olde scots ballads are designed to make the hair on your neck stand on end.
Follow me Down to Carlough and such.

"And the steames ran red with Saxon gore,
and we sent them all back to Hades"

So many of them are justso much pure angst to make a Califorina shrink drool with billing opportunities.

I do several with a trad group, we nicknamed the singer 'Dirges R Us"

I personally like the squire or prince dressing like a urchin begging a night in a farmer's house and seducing the daughter.

And of course Two Sisters comes to mind,
one drowns the other from jealousy over a lad, then ends up bored in his bed.

Classic stuff LOL.
Will you be down at the Steel festival next month?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Well, well. Let's see...there's bad singers, bad songs, bad music, and bad musicians. Seldom do all four come together, though. The internet puts things right at our fingertips that would have best been forgotten.

"I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent" is the epitome of good music...compared to "My Pal, Foot Foot", by The Shaggs.

To hear the song in all it's glory (and maybe for a good laugh), just go to...
http://www.shaggs.com

...and click on the "two-legged tiger-shark" creature's image. I suppose we <u>all</u> started out sounding like this, but luckily, we didn't save it for posterity.

Prepare for unique auditory sensations emanating from the drums, guitar, and vocals, and...well...judge for yourself! Image
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Could have been lyrics to a Ramones song.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Joey, thanks for the info on "I'm an Adult Now". I just read the thread for the first time since Apr 7. I copied off the lyrics. Now I know where to go find this tune. Thanks again.

Another good tune is David Wilcox's "Layin' Pipe" (as in construction worker, to pay for his girl's diamond ring...)

Isn't it mind blowing that people actually keep track of this stuff?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 19 April 2004 at 12:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

After you listen to the Shaggs song, read some of the background information. There are several levels of weirdness going on there.

Their story doesn't celebrate the joyful and total lack of talent like say "Mrs. Miller"

"How can I miss you if you won't go away?" (Dan Hicks)

Ed
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Edward Helbert on 19 April 2004 at 07:37 PM.]</p></FONT>