What do you think about this CD??

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jerry Hayes

What do you think about this CD??

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I've heard for a while about the CD called "Livin', Lovin', Losin'" which is a tribute to the Louvin Brothers with the songs performed by various artists. I bought it today at the local record store. I'd never heard it before and I told a friend of mine about it and he said "The producer's an @$$hole, Jimmy Capps and Paul Yandell played all that fingerstyle guitar on the original recordings and there's none there. The Louvin Brothers didn't use any steel either" or something like that. That's what prompted me to post this. I think the CD's brilliant. I'm probably the world's most ardent LB fan as I have most of their music on LP, Cassette, or CD but I think this one's really a keeper. I especially like "Are You Teasing Me" by Patty Loveless and Jon Randall. My next favorite on it would be "You're Running Wild" by Larry Cordle, Carl Jackson, & Jerry Salley. "New Partner Waltz" featuring Linda Ronstadt and Carl Jackson is great also. What do you think? I'd really like to know....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 24 February 2004 at 12:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I heard the same complaint also, but I don't care!

I think this record really honors the music of the Louvin Brothers, it contains great music and I will listen to it many more times.

If somebody else doesn't like it, it's their opinion, not mine.

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Budd Kelley

Post by Budd Kelley »

As a listener of music and not from the view of a music historian - I enjoy it very much. Some really great pairings and some nice back-up. I find it a pleasure to listen to - wheather it is "historicaly" accurate or not. (How many Irving Berlin tunes are done exactly as he wrote them?)

Not trying to start anything, just my opinion on a record.
Mike Headrick

Post by Mike Headrick »

I can tell you one thing.........Charlie Louvin loves the CD and he's VERY opionated. Of course, this new tribute has started his phone ringing again and that makes him like it even more.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Headrick on 24 February 2004 at 07:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

My favorite has to be "How's the world treating you", followed by "I cant keep you in love...." and only because it's a shuffle song.

And it seems like I haven't heard "I don't believe you've met my baby" for for 40 years. What memories come back.

That CD is just...good all over.
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Like they say, "do you want to do it right,
or do you want to do it like the record?"
It's not in the stores here in Edmonton,
but I'm buying it when it is.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Merle Haggard does an outstanding job on "Must You Throw Dirt in my Face". The more I listen to this one the better I like it. Also there's some great steel work by Mike Johnson. The only other player I'd heard of on the sessions was Adam Steffey who used to play mandolin for Allison Krause...JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I haven't had a chance to hear this CD yet, but plan on purchasing it. If my guess is correct, the producer is Carl Jackson? If so, he is a fellow Mississippian from Louisville, Mississippi. He is a very nice gentleman that I have worked with at the Jimmie Rodgers Festival here in Meridian and Louisville. Great songwriter too. I'm sure that the CD is great.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

This is an outstanding CD and I wouldn't be without it. If it was on vinyl, I'd already have it wore out by now!
Erv<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 25 February 2004 at 07:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

I was given this CD as Christmas gift. I have played it over and over. I was disappointed that Jimmy Capps, or someone capable of playing the Paul Yandell style of guitar, wasn't included in the musician line-up on at least a couple of the songs. "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby" being one. But, even with Carl Jackson's decision to exclude this important part of the Louvin's sound, I feel he did a great job! Mike Johnson's steel playing on this project is a real treat in itself! One of the best CD's I've heard in a long time!

------------------
Tommy Minniear
www.ntsga.com

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

This CD is one of them GOLD CD's that you place in the front of the CD case for easy access. Definitely "A" list. Classic country done by contemporary artists. Some CD's you pay $15.00 for and they have maybe (a dollar's worth of) one good tune. This CD is available at WalMart for around $13.00 and it provides $100's of musical enjoyment.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

It's an excellent album - got it as a gift from a co-worker this past christmas.
Beginning to end, the performances are fabulous, and suit the songs well. A fine tribute.
Gerry Grider

Post by Gerry Grider »

I recently visited some of my musician friends in California and they were all talking about the CD and singing the songs at a jam. Great harmony opportunities so I bought it when I got back to Minnesota. I think its great. I liked the Glen Campbell/Teri Clark cut the best.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

well I like it..

Well I like it..a lot !

t
Jimmy Youngblood

Post by Jimmy Youngblood »

I haven't heard an album this good in a long time!

I grew up hearing Louvin Bros tunes on the radio (a little disappointed "Knoxville Girl" was left off the cd Image )

It's hard to pick a favorite .. I'd have to put "When I Stop Dreaming" (Glen Campbell & Leslie Satcher) right up there with "Must You Throw Dirt In My Face" (Merle Haggard & Carl Jackson).

Hell, they're all potential chart singles!

Good job, Carl Jackson & Kathy Louvin!
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

I finally bought a copy today.
What a joy to listen to!
I think my house must be full of pollen, because my eyes kept leaking
as I listened to this GREAT CD.
Also, the uglier Glen Cambell gets,
the better he sings.
I can't say enough about this CD.