The CMA needs to be end

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kevin Hatton

The CMA needs to be end

Post by Kevin Hatton »

The CMA has turned into a rock show and no longer represents real country music or country people. It needs to be replaced. A new organization needs to be formed by real country artists like Ricky Scaggs, Reba, Marty Stuart, Ricky Van Shelton, George Jones, Patty Loveless. Maybe call it the CMG (Country Music Guild). <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 01 July 2003 at 09:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Of course, then they would go from having very little clout to absolutely none. Right now they're having trouble even getting TV time on cable access-If they were making a stand for REAL country they'd be completely ignored.

Their only real upside to organizing would be to combine their catalogues under one label umbrella and run it communally-The TOTAL sales for all those artists under one roof would give them some breathing room economically to keep releasing the records they WANT to make, even though their individual audiences might be fairly small in the greater sense. They'd have to own it, and distribution would be an issue, although a deal could probably be cut with the large chains for a classic country label representing all the big names at once.

But that's the only way they'll ever get any muscle back. And at that, I'm sure the roadblocks, just in existing contracts, are enormous. But it could work. You could assemble tour packages the same way. Like the old days when they had this same problem, only the suits wouldn't be getting all the money, cause there wouldn't be any suits.

You have to remember, most of these artists grew up and cut their teeth on small budgets for recording. Knocking out an album in a couple of days would not be something unusual. So the massive expenses involved in generating product that are now the norm in the industry would not be a factor. And it would be even better if you were booking for a block af artists-or even better, if you just owned the studio. If you had that many artists under one roof, you could pretty much keep tape rolling 24/7 just on your own members. an since all the studio has to do is cover expenses, CD sales would start generating profits almost instantly.

I'm sure there's a reason this wouldn't work, but hey, it's one idea.

JB

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 01 July 2003 at 09:59 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 01 July 2003 at 10:07 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

If Mr. Scaggs was involved it will be the
TBMA -
"Traditional Bluegrass Music Association",

unless we can time warp him back to the 80s.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I kinda agree it's little more than a "hat and belly-button" show for the youngsters, but if they featured mostly <u>real</u> country music, less than 1% of the people would watch it.

Sad, but true. Image
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Would the pickers on the alblums and the pickers on the stages be the same pickers?
There's an idea.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Right you are, Donny. We've got to look to the "new" people. Ray Price can still cut it, but he's one of the very few. George Jones' voice is shot, Merle ain't what he used to be, and even if they were, would we all jump through hoops to buy their latest releases? Country music is its market, and the market right now is young folks who're tired of "classic rock" on FM. Shania, Faith, and them other belly-button gals are fine droolin' material for young guys(and not so young Image), and those hat guys are OK for the girls. There IS some good country music out there--Joe Nichols has a good CD out, among others. But label execs have cash registers for ears, and they don't hear ANYTHING when we don't go spend money on OUR music. And copying CD's ain't gonna do it, either. Buddy Emmons ain't doin' too many sessions these days, and Flatt and Scruggs are no more. But there's STILL good country music, and good bluegrass out there, you just gotta look for it, and then BUY IT.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 06 December 2004 at 01:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I haven't heard anything country from Reba in years. Joe Nichols is doing real country and Terry Crisp has the job of a lifetime. Most of the young people don't know what real country is and think it's Brooks and Dunn or Shania Twain. They're too young to have heard it. It's dieing slowly but it's dieing just like western swing did. Now the folks that were complaining then are silent. It's a slow process but it's dieing just the same.
I said before that if some of the old country hands (or someone else)would buy some radio stations and recruit some new real country artists it could make some kind of comeback but if it doesn't get played on radio it's just going away like western swing did.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Frank,

I'm in complete agreement with you regarding Joe Nichols - he is first-class AND sounds as country as anything in recent years. It seems to me that the people with the highest current profile (with the notable exception of the Dixie Chicks) are not very good - Brooks & Dunn, Shania, Montgomery Gentry and others are deplorably average, and some look like beer-sodden reprobates!

What it's going to take to spark some real interest in the music is for someone as good as Joe to get a huge hit that manages to cross into the whole marketplace. Not only does he have that (regrettably essential) 'eye candy' thing going, he's a fine singer! The casual listener when confronted with the artistes I've mentioned above can hardly be blamed for dismissing country music - I would, too.

A few years back, I was hoping Joe Diffie could have really pulled it off - there's another super singer - but it wasn't to be.

Right now, it's just the 'Chicks' who are really prominent - they're championing the music all on their own...

RR
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Maybe all of the new real country acts (if there are any out there) will be underground. My son listens to some weird r/r that isn't played on the radio and he claims these groups sell tons of albums and tour all of the time. He likes Tom Waits and some others I never heard of. We were at Borders yesterday and sure enough there was a ton of Tom Waits stuff there. There needs to be a movement toward some other method of promotion than the typical Nashville connection. Maybe it's Nashville that needs to be out of the picture and the music could breathe on its own. One thing's for sure, if it continues on the same path it's been on, it's not long for here.
Carl West

Post by Carl West »

Lets face it people,it will never be like it once was ! Although we'd love it to go back to what it once was you may as well forget it. Seems all country award show produced by Dick Clark have hit rock bottom. The one on CMT is no better. The Opry has also hit an all time low. New country acts are no longer country yet they claim to be. I don't think so.
We can fuss and hollar all we want but it won't change a thing. There are plenty good acts there that remain country. But for them or people that have connections in the business to attempt to organize an new all real honest country awards show stands about as much of a chance as a one leg man in a butt kicking contest. Grin and bear it or like me, simply don't watch the junk. All the great pickers working those gig do what their told. Money talks, always has, always will.

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande
Chandler Holt

Post by Chandler Holt »

I agree that there is a real problem with country music. It is almost a societal issue that reaches far broader. Anyway, I am 26 and I play in a band called Chatham County Line. We have a new CD out on a label in North Carolina that has a lot of great bands. I would love for a lot of y'all to hear our music. It has bluegrass instruments, but it has more of a country theme.
Our website is www.chathamcountyline.com. Keep faith though brothers!!! There are lots of great country musicians. They are not on TV or mainstream radio. A lot of night clubs and festivals for younger folks feature some really amazing talent. i.e. - Junior Brown, Alejandro Escoveda, Derailers, Thad Cockrell, Johnny Irion etc.
Just my 2 cents.
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

You can find good young country acts, you just have to stop turning your radio on. I think the whole mechanized music model is likely to be untenable within a decade or two. P-to-P filesharing is just not going away, and labels that have to spend millions to tell you what you like, and then sell it to you are simply not going to be able to make a buck anymore.

If you want to get started, and do something honest, it's easier and cheaper now than it has ever been... no need to run 1000 CDs at first, just burn as you go, for each show. 25 cents apiece, and home recording is better than ever (if you know how to engineer it). Just dive in... the web has given us the tools to find the stuff that doesn't absolutely suck. Heather Myles is making real country music... Rex Hobart, Laura Cantrell, HEM, and more other things than I can name. You just have to be willing to look for them... they'll be happy you came, too Image
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

"there's been an awful murder,down on music
row"................... Image
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

There can be no resurgence in Country Music if their is no Country music. Where are the replacements for Harlan,Hag,Waylon,the Bryants ect? Country music needs good Country song writers that chase women,drink,smoke,cheat,love trains ,been in jail and have broken hearts,and hang out in bars. Image Maybe that's saying it like a joke but the music being written now is a joke. What is needed is writers with feeling for the music and storys they tell.

------------------
O-O

Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Joe, you're absolutely right. I read an interview with Larry Cordle, and he was complaining about all the happy, bubblegum, till-death-do-us-part-we've-never-had-a-fight-in-my-old-truck songs(I'm paraphrasing!!)
Kristofferson wrote about drinkin', fooling around--and gettin' saved.
Country music is supposed to be about real stuff, and real people. So when did tin pan alley take over??
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Joe, I thoroughly agree. Whats on the radio today is nineteen year old girlie music. All this sensitive guy nonsense. Made for surbanites. Give me a fight'n beer drink'n, truck drive'n song!
Bill Bailey

Post by Bill Bailey »

If you think country music is not being recorded, check out the new Clint Black produced CD of Buddy Jewell. Check out my post on the Music part of this forum. "It's Alive!It's Alive!"That is IMHO. Take care all.
Bill Bailey

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Bailey on 14 July 2003 at 12:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I love "Classic" country music as well as the next one and that's what my band plays, however, why can all other styles of music evolve except ours? I appreciate the musician's who are playing the new stuff as well as the ones who played the old tunes too. We need to stop living in the past. It hasn't been that long ago that they didn't allow a full set of drums on the Opry and they could only use a snare with a brush and a stick. Remember that? Maybe it's being from SoCal that's formed my tastes in music. Remember when ol' Buck and Merle did their own thing and gave the finger to Nashville. The country rock thing started in my part of the USA and that's what a lot of the stuff today sounds like which I personally love..... Country's never stayed the same. Look at the 30's with the Delmore Bros, Carter family, etc. then on to the 40's with the advent of Ernest Tubb, Eddy Arnold and some of those guys, to the 50's with Hank Thompson, Lefty Frizzell, and to the 60's with Buck, Merle, and the bland "Nashville Sound". Country music has always evolved and will continue to do so, at least I hope it does.....Have a good 'un.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 16 July 2003 at 11:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Good point!

I bet there were a lot of raised eyebrows when Merle and Buck arrived on the scene with their 'Telecaster-orientated' sound - how many of you older guys thought THEY were too 'rock'n'roll'!!!?

RR
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

60s Bland Nashville Sound? since when was Price, Paycheck, Tammy, Connie, E.T., Anderson, Street, G.Stewart, Jones, Seeley, Pride, w/Emmons, Green, Charleton, Garrish, Myrick, Rugg, Day, & many more, Bland? & I'm only talking the 60s as you stated? kr
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

I've always felt that all awards shows were/are a big joke. Especially the so called "Peoples Choice Awards". They give it a title like that and than give you 5 lousy acts to choose from. I wouldn't cross the street to see any of these people (unless Ricky Davis was backing them up ;-)) yet alone waste 95 cents to phone in a vote. BS makes the world go 'round I guess.

Robbie Bossert
John Rickard

Post by John Rickard »

Hey Guys, don't fret (no pun intended)! Guys like Joe Nichols http://pages.prodigy.net/steelio/_uimages/jn6.jpg
The Derailers and others shed light at the tunnels end. We need these young guys more than most realize. Buy their stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!