Dolly Pardon-A real country talent

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Joey, Now that's funny. I guess you can't argue with a sick mind. My mind works that way too.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I think Mike Perlowin's Forum priviledges should be suspended after that last 'post' of his Image
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

LMAO !!
it's getting better~~~~~~~~> don't stop now
Bennie Hensley

Post by Bennie Hensley »

The reason Dolly has small feet is because things don't grow in the shade. Bennie
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Dave Boothroyd - Actually "Islands in the Stream" lyrically is as country as you can get. The line you mentioned "fine tooth comb" isn't the correct lyric. I believe its "one tooth home" Image Anyway, not really a better songwriter nor singer out there than Ms. Parton, no matter what she, nor they, look like. Best, Boomer
RB Jones

Post by RB Jones »

Dolly's gone all they way from singing mountain music and church hymns -- which she learned in the Smoky Mountains where she started dirt poor -- to Nashville Sound, full-blown pop music, and now she's back singing what she started out with and is getting good reviews.

All jokes aside, at least Dolly never forgot the people and the hills she came from and came back to help the area financially and culturally. And she didn't change the way she talked in order to fit in with the uptown New Yorkers and LA sophisticates in the music business. You can say Dolly has done it all her way and she's never let it go to her head like a lot of stars have. You've got to respect her for that. Never mind having one of the most recognizable voices and styles in all of country music.

RB
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

She is one smart lady, with one of the greatest senses of humor. Me like her
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

How would you recognise Dolly's husband standing in a group of men?

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

What was it Dolly once said, "I don't mind all those dumb blonde jokes. I know I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blonde."

David Reeves

Post by David Reeves »

Kenny, Dolly's husband would be the one who ...... (oh well, I guess you've heard it) already.

------------------
"Stump" Reeves

Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

Yeah and don't forget that GREAT version of the Mule Skinner Blues (sarcasm).
Melinda
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

In all seriousness, I think Dolly Parton is a truly great singer. When she's at her best she sings with an emotional depth that few can match. Some of her recordings are so good they send shivers up and down my spine.
Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

*gulps and shivers*
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Dolley Smothers Short Guy Dancin . On his head stone ????
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

Islands in the Stream was written by the Bee Gees. That's why I feel free to criticise. I use Dolly's lyrics in my songwriting class as examples of how to do it right.
Boomer, what is
"I set out to get you with a one tooth home" supposed to mean?
Cheers
Dave
David Reeves

Post by David Reeves »

I thank that be a play on them 'hillbilly' famblies... 1 tooth.... in the entire home!

------------------
"Stump" Reeves

Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Kenny D. and David R. -- for those of us who have not heard the joke, we would be much obliged if you would be so kind as to provide us with the punch line Image
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Actually, Dolly's version of 'Mule Skinner Blues' (aka 'Blue Yodel # [somethin-or-other]') is one of the best versions I've ever heard. Image
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Dave - It means the followomg: "After I get you, we're living in Arkansas" Image Best, Boomer
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Dolly fired me after I had worked for her for three or four months...and I STILL think she is one of the best singers and writers ever!Her first few albums on RCA are really great...I didn't care for the more pop-style stuff,but I understand why she did it...
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Put Dolly Parton on stage with just an acoustic guitar and a microphone and she will mezmorize an audience with her stories and music (she's obviously a beautiful woman also). Shania Twain? I don't think so. Not even in the same ball park as far as real country music is concerned. Dolly IS country. Cage match? hmmmmmm....<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 09 March 2003 at 08:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
RB Jones

Post by RB Jones »

Steve,
Sounds like there might be an interesting story behind Dolly firing you. Care to relate it?

RB
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Sure,RB...that gig involved playing steel,electric,acoustic,and dobro...if you were the steel player!Playing acoustic guitar has never been my strong point,and I was required to play unaccompanied acoustic guitar (Merle Travis style)while Dolly talked before singing "Applejack"...this often went on for quite a while...I sounded like a broken washing machine on this particular point of the show-I think I did OK on the other instruments,but the acoustic duty was definitely the most important for that chair.Being young and impetuous,I thought I could handle it-I was wrong...that was 15 years ago!I wouldn't even attempt it now...anyway,that's what happened,as far as I could tell...that's my story,and I'm sticking to it...<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Hinson on 10 March 2003 at 06:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Steve -- sounds like it wasn't all "milk" and honey Image

But, at least you "milked" the situation for all it was worth Image

And, sounds like you're not crying over spilt "milk" (if there was any). Image
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

As I previously said, if Dolly Parton married Salvador Dali, she'd be Dolly Dali.

Well if afterwards she opened up a delicatesson that was open every day, it would be the Dolly Dali Daily Deli.

------------------
I'm not fat! I'm horzontally enhanced!