Clarence White

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Thanks for the post, Jason. I've also noticed that the AMG info frequently contains inaccuracies.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

I forgot:
Clarence was playing electric with the Kentuckly Colonels in 1965, they added a drummer to try this format for a time.
The Dillards did a lot better with this later on, although they had a drummer on some sessions and live gigs in 1964.

James Burton and David Cohen (not the guy from Country Joe & The Fish) helped get Clarence into the studio scene, although his early sessions were through friends like the Gosdin Brothers, Chris Hillman, Gene Clark, Gib Guilbeau and Gene Parsons, while he did some acoustic sessions in the early 1960s through his recordings with the KCs and the interest that the group attracted.

Tom, although I'm quick to point out anomalies, the AMG is a really good source and it's extremely helpful to refer to.
Sometimes though it simply is an online version of an article or mini-bio on an artist that has been knocking around for years and years.
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

<SMALL>Somebody (perhaps Chris Hillman?) then says, "that's Terry Melcher's favorite toy," to which somebody else (presumably Melcher?) says, "sorry about that, I hit it by mistake -- OK, take 11."</SMALL>
It sounds like Jim McGuinn said the first part, more than likely it was Gary Usher who replied.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 01 March 2003 at 04:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Larry, I agree, it sounds like McGuinn.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

It's Gram, then Terry.