When is Country Music Country

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Sam White

When is Country Music Country

Post by Sam White »

I might be wrong but I don't think so.The other night my Wife and I went to hear this band. We got there and I said to her good a steel player in this band.Well the band played two sets.This woman came over to talk to us .I said when is that guy going to play the steel Guitar? She said he plays it the last song and he plays Last date.Now here is the best part of the whole thing.There is a Sax and a trumpett in this band and it was killing me to sit and listen to that----.I will never go to hear that band again.You could not hear the keyboard player or the lead player.It was all drums,Bass, Sax and trumpett.What a big disapointment that was a nice steel sitting there and not being played. I told my wife i should get up there and play that steel and blast the sax and trumpet play out.Terible terible.
Sam White<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 11 January 2003 at 07:07 AM.]</p></FONT>
ROBERT MYERS

Post by ROBERT MYERS »

Sam, Boy do I know what you mean. I just quit the band I've been with for 13 years because of the sax. The band leader hired him 2 years ago for some of the 50's rock that we do. I told him then that it wasn't going to work and everyone else felt the same way but I was the only one with nerve enough to say anything. Well I put up with it for 2 years of that thing blowing all night long in my left ear on every song and even doing my steel breaks. I finally quit and I'll just play at home before I put up with anything like that again. Right now I'm just sitting in with different groups and having fun and no horns.

------------------
Bob Myers Derby SD10 3&4
S10 Emmons p/p Nashville 400
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

This was several years ago we were at a Bar-B-Que that was suppost to have a live CW Band. As they were setting up they had no steel & I had a feeling this was going to be country rock or what ever. We just ordered Tea before we ordered any thing elese, & yup I was right It wasn't Country.
I told the waitress we came to hear Country
Music like was advertized & we were disappointed & were leaving. She was sorry
& that the tea was on the house.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

The average nightclub "goer" cannot differentiate between music and hysteria. This also has spilled over into TV commercials. By far, most TV commercials today have someone "percussioning the holy urine" from a set of drums.

I truly believe that a drummer can even screw up some rock songs.

Drummers and electric bassmen simply do not understand the concept of "change of mood" in performances. It is an everlasting blend of "bang and thud".

Rick
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

The definition of a gentleman:

A man that can play the saxophone.....
but doesn't!!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Moved to the 'Music' section of the Forum (assuming that what Sam heard was, by someone's definition, 'music').
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

as read....

"Drummers and Electric bassmen simply do not understand the concept of "change of mood" in performances. It is an everlasting blend of "bang and thud"."

Rick thats a heck of a pile you put many of us in. I would contend that I , as an Electric Bassman as well as Steel and Guitar, do understand the concept of change of mood.

I would contend all Instruments, whatever they may be, cannot reproduce any sound, mood or feeling, without a musician.

tp
Carter D10
52 RI Tele'
62 RI Fender J Bass/Hartke system
Wayne Morgan

Post by Wayne Morgan »

Hey Tony, see by the sig. your in the Carter business, do you still have the Bud.? and how do you like the Carter?
Take care
Wayne
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hey Wayne..I actually am on my second Carter which is a 9+8 . No BCT. This is one Steel I am growing into rather than the other way around.

I horse traded with Joe Smith, I traded him my D10 / 8+5 Carter and a few bucks for the D10/ 9+8. Joe lives across town from me and a few weeks later he sold my former Carter to a guy who lives right up the street from me ..go figure...

Yes I like it just fine. Black mica..you can't beat aged mica for tone...I like the slightly smaller body and lighter weight and the Steel plays and sounds just fine.

I recently sold my D10 Professional and maybe sometime this year I hope to acquire a Super Pro with a similar setup. The Professional sure was a great sounding Steel but it sure was a back breaker...

tp
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

OK here is what I think a real country band is. If I'm wrong you tell me and I will try to convince you that I;m right and you are wrong.A country band is a good drummer that does'nt blow your ear drums out.A good bass player that know all the right cords to play a good Lead player and a good steel player. That is what you call a great contry band and play all the good old country and the Allen Jackson country songs.
Sam White
Dave Krute

Post by Dave Krute »

Sam. I'd just add a good vocalist and some good harmony back up and I'd be with you all the way.

------------------
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Sam & Bob, here's how I solved your horn problem. For the blues, rock or jazz stuff, I play tenor sax. But for country or country-rock, I sit down at my pedal steel, or grab my dobro if it's bluegrass. Couldn't live without any of it. And I can butcher any kind of music on almost any instrument.

David Krute, thanks for the Emmons, I'm still working on getting parts for it.

------------------
Student of the Steel, and cheap instrument connoisseur: customized 1970 Sho-Bud Maverick, Fessy S12U, Emmons S12 E9 P/P, Nashville 400, Fender Squire, Peavey Transtube Supreme into JBL 15", 1968 Gibson J50, '60s Kay arch-top, 7-string Raybro, customized Korean Regal square-neck, roundneck Dobro 90C, 1938 Conn Chu Berry tenor sax, '50s Berg mouthpiece, Hamilton upright piano. You make it, I'll play it (more or less)

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Some lead players are good and play what's required, but for me, it's twin fiddles and pedal steel. Image We don't need no stinkin' lead guitar! Image Image
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I once had a band without a Lead guitar player. Image But that is because I had a helluva Steelplayer by the same name as the poster above..Come to think of it, It's him. ImagePS if I remember right he also brought and played a tele to the jobs.Ole Jim was thinking multi instrument pay I think. Image

------------------
CJC

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12 January 2003 at 02:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Yeah, Jim. I have a feeling most folks from other less-blessed parts have trouble imagining such a thing. Not that it's the norm here, but fiddle/steel lead sections do happen. Jim Snider will be sporting that four-piece configuration next Wednesday and Thursday at Borrowed Money.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

My favorite gigs are with Steve Solomon (brother of Ricky and son of Vernon Solomon) on one side of me and Dale Morris (of Ray Price fame) on the other side. Image Twin fiddles in stereo -- can't beat it! Image
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

To me, the archetypal country band would have acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, drums, piano, fiddle, pedal steel, lead vocalist, and three or four background vocalists. Sort of like what many of us have been accustomed to seeing on the Grand Ole Opry. Think Charley Pride or Connie Smith. Ah, the good ol' days.

Where I live, the typical weekend country band has an acoustic guitar, electric guitar(usually a Tele or a Strat), bass, and drums. And it usually comes off sounding like a rock 'n' roll band with cowboy harmonies.

So instead of wanting to get into a country band just so I can play steel, I try to use it wherever I can in a rock band. With the way things are going with country music these days, rock 'n' roll seems more accommodating to me.

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Fine Male and Female vocalists that can actually sing harmony , A kick butt stage savy Telecaster player, solid Bass player who likes playing 1/2 notes under the 5th fret, a drummer who can spell " METER", someone who owns and can play an old Wurlitzer Electric and of course a stage savy Steel player. Oh yes..all of the musicians can sing up front if need be and they can all sing a harmony part. And if the Piano player can double on fiddle then for me we've got lift off...

tp
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Myron..sure the gig is yours..but which part of the band are you looking to fill ?

Male Singer
Female Singer
Stage Savy Tele' dude
Bass Player who knows the notes below fret 5
Drummer who can spell METER
Wurlitzer dude who doubles on fiddle

did I leave anyone out...

oh yes...

The D10 Zither player....

We will practice every night and gig every weekend for the door..or less...

or maybe we won't...

Don't be late...

tp

PS..You bring the sound system..please have it set up and tested 1 hour early.

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

A step in the right direction might be to give that sax player a copy of Merle Haggard's Live At Billy Bob's TX. Then he can see how Don Markam does it with Norm Hamlet and Redd Volkhert.

Every song on that album -- all old hits except for Motorcycle Cowboy -- beats the earlier recordings. There's a ton of great brass work by Don, and Merle just let the guys play, and play.

(I know I post this story every month or so, but it seems like there's at least a few who haven't heard that CD. ) Image

------------------
HagFan