Friends of Dean Martinez/Lap Steel???

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Miller

Friends of Dean Martinez/Lap Steel???

Post by Michael Miller »

Pretty wild band fronted by a lap(?) steel. Hard to describe the music: Spaghetti Western music meets Pink Floyd meets Cocktail Lounge. The steel player name is Elm and he is a very tasteful player. Anybody else out there listen to these guys?
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

I do, from time to time. Bill Elm is the steel player's name, I think. He shows up on at least one Giant Sand album,too, credited with "non pedal steel guitar", if I'm remembering right
One of their recent releases has a killer, eerie-but-beautiful version of Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman." Great soundtrack music for driving on quiet back roads.
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

I got really fired up by this band a few years ago. Their first work 'Shadow of Your Smile' is still my favorite.

The music rekindled my love of single string steel guitar melodies which continues to this day.

The Vanduras 'In The Dark' sits right next to it on my music shelf. Check them out too if you haven't yet.
Page Wood

Post by Page Wood »

how about that-
I've been sitting here trying to play All the Pretty Horses on my open G dobro- but it's got that minor in it...
guess I'll have to try C6...