Sho Bud Banjo ?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Joey Ace

Sho Bud Banjo ?

Post by Joey Ace »

Can anyone provide info on this?
Image Bigger Picture.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 27 December 2002 at 02:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Maybe something Buck Trent got them involved in when he was at Sho-Bud? Image
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

One thing you've got to give Shot credit for, no matter who you may be; he could make anything for anyone! not just Steel Guitars, but; anything you could think of was within his abiliy to do, and to do it well! Not a whole bunch of those kind of guys around nowadays! Really miss Shot Jackson a lot! "Big John" Bechtel KeoniNui@webtv.net http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/doc
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Joey, Shobud had banjos made I believe. I will tell you about the banjo they made for Buck thought. This was a 5 string on a stand and had pedals(shobud) attached to it. Very similar to Phil Baugh's MSA pedals. Buck laughted at it and Sho Bud dumped it off at a music store on Galiten Road. This thing was a nightmare but in the 70's everyone was looking for a edge. I sure wish I had a pic of it, one of a kind.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Buck Trent was on Nashville Now one time and Ralph Emery asked him about his Banjo. They showed an up close shot of the thing while he explained about it. His banjo had been put together by Shot Jackson at ShoBud. It had a wooden head which was painted white to look like a regular banjo head. There was a pickup mounted in the head which looked something like an old Gibson P-90. Right above the strings where his hand rested were two round metal things which he actuated with the heel of his hand. The raised strings 2 and 3 a whole tone I believe. He also had Keith/Scruggs tuners on all four of the strings at the headstock. His unit operated basically like a Bigsby Palm Pedal. His unique sound came from a combination of the hand pedals, the tuning pegs, and bending some strings. He was a one of a kind musician and really put some great stuff on those old Porter Waggoner and Norma Jean records. I first noticed him in the early 60's when I was working a club in LA and there was a song on the jukebox called "Howdy Neighbor Howdy" by Porter. I was playing lead guitar and I remember telling our steel player "Man that Steelman can sure do some cool banjo licks" to which he said "That's a banjo player doing steel licks". I was amazed to say the least. I have an Ibanez artist guitar which I do some of his stuff on. It has a set of Bigsby palm pedals and Keith/Scruggs tuners on all six strings. It has whole tone lowers on every string except the 3rd which is a half tone lower. The palm pedals raise the 2nd and 3rd strings a whole tone. Image Image Image

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 28 December 2002 at 03:09 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 28 December 2002 at 03:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I've seen Sho-Bud acoustic guitars too. They were dreadnought style with the playing card inlays in the fretboard. I'm just guessing, but I think Gretsch imported guitars and banjos with the Sho-Bud name on them. I believe that all of that stuff came out in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
benhall

Post by benhall »

Something I found on Buck.
http://www.bucktrent.com/

Ben
Terry Miller

Post by Terry Miller »

Some of those guitars and banjos were made in Nashville. Shot made some hand made guitars for differant artist, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Roy Clark,George Jones, Chet Atkins and many more. Shot was a great builder and a musicians best friend. Their aren't any people of that caliber anymore. Terry
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Here's a closeup:
I got to play a show with him & Norma Jean in the '80's - It was a hoot getting to play with people I used to watch on tv every Saturday when I was growing up!
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I have a Buck Trent album, playing that Sho-Bud contraption! It is great! Guess who the steel guitarists on the album is?