Classic Country????

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

frank rogers

Classic Country????

Post by frank rogers »

I've noticed that the "Sub Genre" Classic Country is popping up on services like Direct T.V., Cable music channels and internet radio sites. The problem is, that on almost every occasion that I listen to this format I hear a "classic" Kenny Rogers tune like "Lady" or a "classic" Sylvia tune like "Nobody" or maybe a great C.W. Mccall classic. So, What criteria is being used to program "Classic" Country? In other words what is classic and what is not?
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Classic = they won't program it on FM mainstream stations today

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

I listen to the "Classic Country" station on Direct TV every once in a while, and although I do hear some, What I consider Classic Country every now and then, most of what plays are songs from the late 70's to mid 8o's. I too have wondered why these songs have been labeled Classic.It is my opinion that these stations are programmed by relatively young people who are running the computer age nowadays. To people who are in their late 20's, Classic Country would be music from the 80's. I would wager to say if older people were programming these stations, you would hear more 50's-60's Country which would be more on my thinking of what "Classic Country" should be.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I also listen to the classic country station on Direct TV. I must be lucky when I listen. All I hear is western swing, old Conway, and the other oldies that made great country western music. Wish I could receive it in my truck.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Barbara Hennerman

Post by Barbara Hennerman »

*<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barbara Hennerman on 21 August 2006 at 01:11 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Barbara, if you ever get a chance, try finding a Johnny paycheck version of "I never had the one that I wanted." It's on Little Darlin' Records, with Lloyd Green on steel. It's incredible!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I too listen now and again on Direct TV and have heard some great tunes, I think the problem is the show programmer most likely thinks that Classic goes all the way up to 1995. It's sort of like my daughter thinking the old days were the 80's ! Just think in another 5 years Brad Paisley will be on the Classic line-up as well ! At least the show is on the cable package..

tp
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

I've got Dish Network so I don't know if our "classic country" channel is the same feed your getting, but I listen to it all the time and I have never heard anything newer than around '75 or so. (this does not mean they don't though Image

the wife and I love it. Sometimes they even play some Bob Wills.

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL

Barbara Hennerman

Post by Barbara Hennerman »

*<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barbara Hennerman on 21 August 2006 at 01:11 AM.]</p></FONT>