Grand Ole Opry 2-16-02

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Kowalik

Grand Ole Opry 2-16-02

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Great show tonight...good have been better if Katie whats her name would get out of the way...especially since as she stated last week The Opry means nothing more to her than a paycheck....don't think I will watch anymore ...too much music is not shown while she BS's...gonna listen to the Opry over the internet from now on!!!
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

A great show and a great tribute to Waylon Jennings. Irregardless what anyone says, Hank Jr. is COUNTRY, Marty Stewart in phoney and Travis Tritt is down right GREAT!
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

I was hoping to hear Rainy Day Woman..but I guess no one felt like doing it...
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Mike, Marty did look out of place last night. He must be one of those that has to be around or pick with the "big boys".
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

I thought that Marty sang with Lester Flatt and Johnny Cash.Is he still working with the Country Music Foundation and collecting and sharing his Hank Williams stuff?I bought Snapshots From The Lost Highway that had many unseen handwritten lyrics and pictures of Hank from Martys collection.Is he not standing up for real country music?He did fight to keep WSM country.
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Tanning bed skinned man in black clothes with funny hair speaks from both sides of mouth but loves to see name in print and face on TV.
Jerry Bruner

Post by Jerry Bruner »

I thought the best performance of the show was "I've Always Been Crazy", espeically the solos at the end... The fiddle was great and so was the steel (I had to back up the tape and listen to it again).... and that Travis Tritt is a pretty good guitar picker himself.
KEVIN OWENS

Post by KEVIN OWENS »

The Grand Ole Opry is not the place to have a Waylon tribute. Waylon wasn't associated with the Opry.

I like Waylon and his music but, that was a bunch of out of tune BS.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Yeah, at least Marty's mando was in tune, and some nice stuff from both steel players Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 17 February 2002 at 01:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Kevin
Amen
I turned it off, it sounded like a bunch of drunks yelling and wailing, much like a local jam session. No place for that on the opry stage. Not a fitting tribute to Waylon either.

Let the flames begin Image

------------------
John

frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Personally, Although I know this is not a popular opinion, I preferred Waylon, Willie, Tompall and all the rest BEFORE the "outlaw" movement. The entire "outlaw" thing in my opinion was detremental to country music in general. The music was played and sang with far less precision than prior. It seemed to "glamorize" sloppy playing, singing and appearance. I think the whole phenomenom was vastly overrated by the media and country radio who at the time were mostly ex rock D.J.s that didn't like country to begin with. Don't misunderstand me, I am a huge fan of both Waylon and Willie as singers, and writers, I just preferred them before the "outlaw" thing. Rest Peacefully Waylon.
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

In my opinion I thought it was one of the BEST Opry's that I've seen in quite some time. As a matter of fact, I couldn't wait to get into the office this morning so I could check the board to see all of the rave reviews! Boy was I surprised.
In my very humble opinion, I thought the "electricity" there at the Ryman could be felt all the way in my living room as my wife and I stayed glued to the tube for every minute of it. Now, I must admit, I did find myself wanting to hurl a rock into the tube everytime thier little blonde ditzoid opened her mouth reading some vomitous "crap" (my Christian convictions restrain me from using another word here) from a cue card that some freak in the back office at Gaylord wrote for her because she's too ignorant of ANYTHING Opry to form an intelligent sentence concerning the subject. All the time she was spewing her refuse, I could faintly hear some mighty fine music in the backgroung.
On a lighter note, I also commented to my wife how tight the steel players were that night. I don't know who they were, but they all made a great show even better.
This is just my opinion, thanks for listening!
Bryan

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bryan Knox on 18 February 2002 at 07:00 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bryan Knox on 18 February 2002 at 07:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jason Stillwell

Post by Jason Stillwell »

Well, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed Marty's pickin', too. Looks like I'm one of the few around here who thinks he's the real deal. I was turned off by a couple of out of tune guitars (both of them Hank Jr's), but he did a mighty fine version of my next-to-favorite Waylon tune "This Time". HWJr's steel player sure was sounding good on the ol' Sho-Bud. Travis's steeler was playing some good stuff, but his tone sure didn't compare with the old Bud!
Peter Dollard

Post by Peter Dollard »

Hank Jr. is almost a musical oxymoron. He goes into the studio with Nashvilles best and then goes out on the road with an unrehearsed rabble. I know that individually Hank's band is good it's just that they don't rehearse enough to present his material in the way you heard it on record. Finally this is what Hank wants; those guys I have heard beg him to rehearse and he wants no part of it. Undoubtedly he has a misguided understanding of the term "outlaw". Even Jessie James knew how to organize a bankrobbery.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I'm a cheerleader for steel. This tribute was for Waylon and his music. Where was Mooney or steel on every song? Nice thought and could have been terrific for family and musicians that worked for him.
Theresa
I agree Marty didn't fit with his music!
Leigh Howell

Post by Leigh Howell »

Theresa.
I agree. Mooney should have been included on all the numbers.

Leigh
Theresa Galbraith

Like when was the last time you heard a Waylon tune on the radio? Theresa
Leigh Howell

Post by Leigh Howell »

Theresa.
Yesterday!!! we are fortunate enough to have a station in Jacksonville that plays nothing but traditional country, and bluegrass!!!!

Leigh Image
Theresa Galbraith

Wow! Here in Nashville they just started because of his death.
Theresa
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

The opry did not impress me. It was better about 3 hours later listening to Dale Watson
at EGO's in Austin.

I first got the news listening to Sammy Aldred on KVET Thursday morning. Now he had Waylon story's

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

This show will be rerun May 25

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

If you care to see it again check out the closeup of thumb blocking on I've always been crazy

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047