scale or neck length

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fonza Sells

scale or neck length

Post by Fonza Sells »

Would someone please tell me the best scale length for a six string steel 22-24 or 26 or 27 inch long neck and explain why one is better than the other Fonza Sells
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

The longer the neck, the longer the sustain.

The shorter the neck, the easier it is to make slants. Especially at the lower frets.

Jerry Byrd likes 22 and 1/2 inch scale and 3/8 inch string spacing as an overall happy medium.

carl
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

You'll probably get a lot of different answers on this on, but here's mine...

Scale length is measured from the nut to the bridge, at the point where the string actually makes contact...where metal (string) touches metal (nut and bridge). Or, it could be touching bone, depending on what material the nut and bridge are made of.

Shorter scales are better for the slant bar technique. The "standard" is 22.5 inches. I put standard in quotes, because you'll find 22" scales, and I have a Harmony lap steel from the 40's with a 23" scale.

Longer scale usually refers to 24.5". But or course, there are 24" and 25" scales out there, too. As a general rule of thumb, the longer the scale, the better the sustain, and in most cases, clearer harmonics.

Fender made a 26" scale, which is popular with some players. Duke Ching plays one of these. It has a really sweet tone on the higher frets, where a short scale would start to wimp out in tone. They are quite rare, but any multi-neck Fender seems to be rare these days.

I've never seen a 27", but I'm sure there are plenty out there. The late Claude Brownell, who played in the Eharp tuning, used an extra long scale, which is the longest I've seen. I don't remember the exact dimension, but I know it was at least 31", maybe more. If someone out there knows for sure, please let me know.

An acoustic resonator is always longer scale, because since amplitude is the issue, a short scale just wouldn't cut the mustard (since there's no electronics to pipe the sound through an amp).

Which is best? It all depends upon who you ask. Each has their strengths and limitations. Personally, I have short scale instruments. As a student of Jerry Byrd and his course materials, a short scale is recommmended for optimal bar slants on the first few frets.

Now, if you really want to go crazy, combine your scale length dilemma with various string spacing options and a bunch of different tunings!

Sooo, which is best? Just pick something and go with it. JB once told me, "...it doesn't matter the guitar if you can't play. A terrible player will sound terrible on any guitar."

Hope this helps,

Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 14 September 2003 at 02:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

It depends on what make/model you are considering, as well as the style of music you like/are choosing to perform, and how you play. Of course some players aren't too concerned about these things and just get to playing. But, there have been many threads on this subject in the past with interesting thots and good info. Do a 'search', check 'em out, and have fun! Playing that is.
Fonza Sells

Post by Fonza Sells »

Thanks for all the good info on the scale length Keep steeling Foza Sells
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

My T-8 Stringmaster has the 26" scale and I've never had any complaints.
Erv
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Both Jerry Byrd and Don Helms (Hank W) use short scale. I had thought that Don was using long scale bcause he doesn't really slant, but he told me himself he used short scale. Ricky Davis uses a 24" each scale on his SS Hawaiian and says he has no problem with slanting. My homebuilt is 24", might be the best of both worlds? When just starting out, I think 22.5" is the way to go if your lucky enough to get a hold of Jerry Byrds instructiional course.