The one "Knocked your socks off song"

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Ken Lang

The one "Knocked your socks off song"

Post by Ken Lang »

We all have favorite songs, as recent threads have recogonized. But there must be one in every musicians life that was above and beyond just a favorite. One that had such an impact that you will never forget, favorite now or not.

This song just "blew your mind" and is the only one that had that effect. Others may have come close, but their is no denying that "one" song effected you like no other.

For me it was "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison. Can't explain the feeling when I first heard it, but no song ever again boiled so fiercly in my blood.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Nope. If I had to pick just one...I wouldn't pick any.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I agree, there are a lot of great songs, but none one that really stands out, for me.

Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

I know that I said "I Know One" was my favorite tune, but one that really knocked my sox off, came out a couple of years ago and the lyrics are so true.

"MURDER ON MUSIC ROW" written by Larry Cordle

What an awesome song<<<<<<<<<<.
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

"I hate these songs" by Dale Watson, haven't heard anything this good in a couple of decades
ajm

Post by ajm »

As I started typing this I was trying to decide if this belongs here or in the post on the sorry state of the record companies. It kind of fits both. Oh well.....

One song? I can't narrow it down. But I have had certain "pivotal" albums or events that I can point to in my musical journey. (Warning: some of this list will contain references to rock and roll.)

Earliest exposure to country may have been "On the Bandstand" by the Buckster when I was about 5. My favorite albums from him include that one, "My Heart..", "Carnegie Hall", and the instrumental album. Haggard in Muskogee is good as well.

At about 9 yrs. old I started taking guitar lessons. The first rock song I learned how to play was "Last Train to Clarksville".

A few short years after that there was another group that eventually had a few tunes out. The first one I heard was "Bad Moon Rising". I got them all after that.

During my high school days I really got into the harder edged yet blues based guitar styles. I had heard a lot about an album called "Johnny Winter And - Live". After buying it I knew why. Thanks to KAAY-AM out of Little Rock and "Beaker Street" I used to fall asleep at night to this kind of music. Hearing a new ZZ Top song always gave me something to go out and find the next day. I also had a weak spot for a lot of Grand Funk and Deep Purple. I worked a lot on my Robin Trower and Frank Marino impersonations. The first rock concert I ever went to was REO and Black Oak. To this day, when I hear rock drums I hear Tommy Aldridge. Not only hear him, but visualize him playing, too. But I never stopped playing my Buck Owens stuff, or CCR either.

About 1978 a friend told me about an album where the guitar player sounds like he's sometimes "playing a synthesizer or something". But Eddie wasn't, and it was amazing. All of a sudden, playing rock guitar was going to be a lot more difficult. I liked a lot of the big hair metal in the '80s, but once it all got out of control with the record companies signing everyone there was a lot that I didn't like too.

I hadn't really heard a lot by him, but some time in the late '80s I took a chance and went to see Ricky Skaggs. Suddenly there was hope again.

For my tastes, rock music just went into the toilet in the '90s. At least a lot of the big hair bands in the '80s sounded like they were somewhat competent on their instruments. The speed-death-grunge-thrash stuff just drove me away. It remimds me of the punk stuff of the '70s. They sound like a band of kids playing in the garage next door. What's new and exciting and innovative about that? And vocals: Rock has always had a lot of screaming. But it usually had some melody or range thrown in occasionally. Also, until this stuff I never got the impression that they were actually screaming AT ME. They're either screaming or whining about something; take your pick. I probably only bought less than a dozen rock albums for the entire decade. Did I forget about rap? Well, that about covers that.

But about that time, traditional country started making a comeback. Around 1989 I walked into a music store just to kill some time. Stuffed back in a little out of the way room was a used student model Emmons 3 and 1 at a decent price. I had always loved the sound, and it was mine. I thought that after playing guitar for close to 25 years I'd be zipping around all over this thing in about a year or two. (Please hold down the laughter.) I finally made it to Scotty's convention in 1999 and was in seventh heaven the whole weekend. I have upgraded my steel since then, but I'm still a long way from where I'd like to be.

There is a radio staion that I've been listening to most of the time in the last year or so here in LA because they went back to playing all of the old harder rock from my glory days. Just for a kick I tuned in a local country station that I used to listen to a lot about a week or so ago just to see what was up. I could only tolerate about 15 minutes of it.

So now my rock is dead, my country is dead, and there's a post on here about the hard times the record companies are in. Quel surprise, eh? (But Britney sure is cute, though.) I have actually went out with the sole purpose of coming home with a new CD, but I look and look and look and walk out of the store disgusted. There is nothing new that I want to buy.

Sorry if I deviated too much from the topic. Oh, and if I'm having a bad day there's a couple of songs that are sure to pick me up for at least a couple of minutes.

Any old Buck Owens
Born to be wild
Purple Haze
Green River
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

<h4>"SLOWLY"</h4>-1952, Lloyd says 1954 Image and he is probably right.
<SMALL>His earlier work was innovative as well -- Webb was one of the first major stars to popularize the pedal steel guitar, especially prominent on his 1953 hit, "There Stands The Glass," and 1954's "Slowly." During the 1950s, Webb was the single most successful country artist on the charts, and he flaunted his success by building a guitar-shaped swimming pool, covering the chassis of his convertable with silver dollar coins, and retrofitting the interior with Western paraphernalia. (Check out the cover of 1962's "Cross Country" album...)</SMALL>
I am inclined to disagree with some of the above information, I found it on a web search for Webb Pierce.

Comments?? Image

I just recieved an email from Lloyd and he is right as usual. He has a memory like a steel trap, and keeps pretty good records too. Image
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Bob, Not to try and upstage you in any way, but, only for historical accuraracy:
"Slowly" was recorded in recorded by Webb Pierce in January, 1954 , not 1952, and first hit the
Billboard charts on February 6, 1954. It stayed on the charts for 36 weeks, reaching the
#1 position 2 weeks later on Feb. 20th, and remaining at #1 for an amazing 17 weeks!!
Additionally, in 1954 "Slowly" was the #1 Jukebox hit for 17 weeks and the #1
Disc Jockey selection for 15 weeks.
My friend , Tommy Hill wrote the tune and Bud Isaacs brought the modern pedal steel into
focus with this first wonderful record.

Your pal,
Lloyd Green</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Lloyd.

Bob
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 14 February 2002 at 01:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmy Dale

Post by Jimmy Dale »

"THE NIGHT LIFE" and none has ever really done like that to me since then. Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'
erik

Post by erik »

This is a tuff one. I'd say one song that "rocked" me, which i consider an influence on what i'm trying to do now, is Dreaming With My Eyes Wide Open done by Clay Walker. That tune has world class twang, and it's super hot from out of the chute. It goes on my short list of "Wish i wrote that one" songs.
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Bobbe Gentry,"Ode To Billy Jo"...Glen Campbell,"By The Time I Get To Phoenix" and many more. Image
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

I have 1 song in each catagory of Country and Rock that did it for me back then and still do it for me today.

Although there have been a lot of songs with much prettier steel guitar in them, when I heard Lonesome, On'ry and Mean by Waylon, I was fascinated by the steel in that song. I bet I have played that song a thousand times and never get tired of it. As I am typing this at work right now, that CD is just a few inches away from my computer and can be played in an instant.

In the Rock catagory, it has to be Taking Care of Buisness by BTO. I DJ in my spare time and never fail to anounce this song as the greatest Rock song ever recorded, IMO. A very hard driving, mega rock song that is also a fun song. I saw BTO do this song on TV years ago and it appeared these guys had a blast playing it. These are 2 songs I will never get tired of.
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

I love you because Curly Chalker
Pat Jenkins

Post by Pat Jenkins »

Little or no steel...but, January, April and Me...Dick Curless, With Steel...Together Again, Buck and the Buckaroos....Pat
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Ken, if I understand you correctly, you are refering to a song which had an impact on me as a musician.

For me it was "The House of the Rising Sun" performed by the Animals. That was the song that made me feel I wouldn't be happy just listening to music. I had to be able to play it, too. It's almost 40 years later and I'm still tryin' to be able to play music and that song still digs deep into my soul.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

The first that comes to mind:

Jaded Lover- Jerry Jeff Walker (Ridin'
High)
Heart of the Night-POCO (love the Steel)

Upper Kern- Larry Carlton (Sleep Walk Album)

------------------
Regards, Craig
Robby Thomas

Post by Robby Thomas »

"Highway 40 blues"
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

^
^
^
^
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

Slowly was a great new sound and I can say I honestly say I wore out two records.

BUT...The song that really grabed me the first time I heard It, and even today, Is "She thinks I still care" by ol George In 1962.

He didn't want to cut It because he said It had to damm many of them "just becauses" In It. So they put It on the B side of a sure hit, "Sometimes you just can't win". I think It stayed number one for about six weeks and as far as I'm concerened It's still a number one song.

Bob.