False Advertising

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

GORDY NICHOL

False Advertising

Post by GORDY NICHOL »

On the WSM Online website,it clearly states;"Committed to Country! Always have been,Always will be".If the dumb#$$es at Gaylord make their changes,could we as country music fans bring up a law suit? I hope there is enough support for WSM's country format because, I think if it happens, country music will have the last nail put in it's coffin.Larry Cordell is CORRECT!!!!!!!!!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I too would like to see "traditional" country music survive, and survive as a viable entity.

But, there are not any corporations that will or can invest money to keep the tradition going. They are all only concerned with the "bottom line" and whatever is necessary to make profits. The corporations have turned Nashville's music "country" music product into rock/pop clones and cater to a different audience than the true country music fan. Periodically there is a tidbit of real country music that comes from the major labels and artists but mostly it's the rock/pop clone crap.

There is still a market for traditional country music, just it's not played on most radio stations. And if it's not played on radio stations, much of it is not available on the mass marketing outlets (e.g. wal-mart). I work in a tradional country music show and every week the house is packed, and at least 100 are the "regulars" - same ones each week!

And finally - and I'll get my fireproof flame suit on - the "new breed" musicians. I've played in bands since 1959, and with many different and diverse musicians. The ones that were "born and bred" in country music played pure "country" music. Those that came up listening to the Stones or Dillon or later heavy metal, etc., carried that into their music playing, and no matter how hard they tried it still showed through in their music.
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

..that's "Dylan"..
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

Jack, "Amen!" (I have noticed that too)

Dave
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jack
No need for the flame suit, your analysis is correct and not a put-down of younger players(unless of course you intended it to be). ALL musicians,... country, rock, whatever... can't help but be influenced by their predominant genre.

Hey, if you give a Beatles song to a western swing band of 60 year-olds, it's gonna come out sounding like western swing, not mid-60's rock and roll.

Likewise, I have a recording somewheres of saxophone great Sonny Stitt doing his rendition of San Antonio Rose. It's beautiful, but would take someone well versed in jazz listening to hear the "correct" changes.

It's hard to "git above yer raisin'" I guess.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Jack, Dave, and Herb,

I disagree with the remark that a musician can never break away from the idiosyncracies typical of music genres they "grew up" listing to. I think all it takes to perform music of any genre well/accurately is first and foremost, an honest love of that genre. Not just a passing interest to suite a fad. Combine that love of the genre with an effort to learn everything about it musically and lyrically and I believe you can transcend the dreaded "genre blending" you speak of. I also believe that with the same interest, you can take elements of one or more well studied genres and blend them to make something new and interesting to bring to a genre and still be faithful to it. That's one way to grow as a musician.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Just for clarification, I have nothing against the various forms of music or musicians. There are great musicians in every field. And, there are great songs in every type of music.