Wsm 650

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

kevin grissom

Wsm 650

Post by kevin grissom »

I heard a Rumor tonight that WSM 650 am was going to change it's format to a all sports broadcast does anyone know it this is true or not?
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Hadn't heard that till now Kevin but it sounds like a great idea, especially since I'm such a sports enthusiest Image
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Check the link to the Nashville Tennessean in the music section. "Gaylord to strike again".

According to the newspaper they are going to change from their present format. It didn't say what format they are going to but it sounds like the primarily traditional country music format will be gone.
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Get you a good strong short wave radio and tune in to KOTC 830 AM, "Kotton Country" in Kennet, Mo. All they play is the " music we thought had been forgotten". There's only a couple of "country" stations left in Memphis, and it's mainly pop goes the country.
There's also a station at 850 on the AM dial in Walnut, Ms and one at 860, that plays nothing but country and Southern Gospel till sunset. It's still there, just gotta look for it. Maybe not politically correct but that's my preference. Guess I better put some of those smiley faces Image so's you won't think I'm angry about the current music trend Image. God's blessings to all of you for a Happy, safe, and steelin New Year.-----Skip Cole

------------------
"Steel is the real deal"

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Skip Cole on 30 December 2001 at 06:35 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Skip Cole on 30 December 2001 at 06:36 AM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I read the other day that 650 WSM was the least in profits for the Gaylord Entertainment group so they're going to change the format some. I don't hardly think they'll go all sports. It's my favorite station in town. They'll probably play more Twain or Garth to sell more advertising.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

How Depressing! Image
Maybe now is the time to pack up everthing and move it all to Springfield Missouri. Red Foley had a foothold on it for a while. Since there are many theaters in Branson, maybe it should all just go to Missouri. Nashville has infected. Probably too many of the wrong people running the business there.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Branson isn't just "old timers" country music heaven. There are other acts down there like Andy Williams, Tony Orlando, etc.

But, back to WSM, unfortunately with current ownership tradition has nothing to do with corporate profits. It wouldn't surprise me that the current Gaylord Corp management doesn't even like or listen to "country" music - either the traditional or current rock/pop stuff and has no idea of the history behind WSM and the Grand Ole Opry.

Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Don't forget that it was Gaylord that dealt a huge blow to Nashville and its tourism by closing and dismantling Opryland Theme Park and putting in its place a mall. They've recently changed the name of the Opryland Hotel, too, I guess so everyone will forget how they're screwing Nashville and country music.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I've also heard that with the Grand Ole Opry being moved back to the Ryman Auditorium, there is a possible selling off DEAL in the works. Gaylord must have other plans for the main Opry House property. The Ryman/Opry would obviously be sold together as a package. I guess the Opry would no longer be a WSM Radio exclusive. This could open some doors for Radio Stations like mine (WEKT) to carry the Opry on an affiliate basis. Before I carried it however, I would want it to be like in the 60's & 70's when Country Music was KUNTRY. . . .ex: Ray Price, Faron Young, Kitty Wells, Lester Flatt. 2002 could be an interesting year.
Nick

WEKT Radio: http://personal.bellsouth.net/bna/a/m/am1070/ <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 30 December 2001 at 01:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Dennis--you don't know how much sense and how close to the truth you are making it !!!!
We are blessed to be close to Branson and not only is there an aray of musical entertainment (both big names and local) but a super bunch of very friendly and helpful musicians (which incidently includes some great steel players). We also have a nice club in the area The Ozark Steel Guitar Ass'n. Hey ---ya'll come, ya hear ??? Image