Guitarest Grady Martin passes away

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Janice Brooks

Guitarest Grady Martin passes away

Post by Janice Brooks »

Nashville A team session picker Grady Martin passed away Monday night from conjestive heart failiure.
He was probibly best known for his work with
Marty Robbins and Roy Orbison

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

Grady invented TASTE. It has not gotten any better than his playing. Maybe a little more "produced" but never any more soulful!!
Richard
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

What Richard said. Image
Leigh Howell

Post by Leigh Howell »

So sorry to hear about Grady Martin. He was a great musician, and made many a record sound better. That heavenly band is sounding better all the time!

Leigh
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Grady did most of the acoustic guitar work on Ray Price's albums in the '60s...that was some really great stuff! Also, I believe he did guitar work on Marty Robbins' song, "El Paso".

Grady was one of the true classy players, for sure.

We will miss him. Image
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Grady's guitar work with Marty Robbins MADE those records. His gut string intro & fills on El Passo remain timeless ... one of the most perfect examples of playing EXACTLY what the song calls for and not one note that doesn't belong. IMHO, Grady rarely played a single note that didn't fit a tune like a glove. Sad news.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 05 December 2001 at 01:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Rutledge

Post by Tom Rutledge »

One of my heroes. He certainly taught a generation of guitarists how to always compliment a vocalist with just the right combination of tone, touch, feeling and fire.
They don't make 'em like him anymore.
God's speed Mr. Martin.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I happened to have my copy of Ray Prices Nightlife to play at work today.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

A good example of his acoustic guitar work with Ray Price is probably "It SHould Be Easier Now". I'd always wondered who played that. I'm glad that he got to play on the road a bit later in life with Willie Nelson where a lot of people could see him pick it like it was supposed to be picked!! I think he was the guy who had the broken amp or something on Marty Robbin's "Don't Worry 'Bout Me" which started the Fuzz Craze. I wish we could all live forever! At least his music will.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I'm going way back for this one but one of the steel players in Nashville, I cannot recall which one, told me that a cord was plugged into an external speaker jack of an amp. Then by mistake the other end was plugged into the front of a second amp overdriving the input to the distortion we all recognize as Marty Robbin's Don't Worry
Bout Me. FWIW !!

Regards, Paul
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I don't know that he toured, but I did see him do a Merle Haggard show one night.

God rest his soul.

------------------
HagFan

Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Like most guitarists I was captured by the swirl of Grady's "mexican-style" intro to "El Paso."

Years later, in the early 80s, it was a thrill to meet him on one of Willie's tours, in Missoula Montana. Chris Etheridge, whom I knew from LA days, was playing bass for Willie. I popped in on Chris at the motel before the gig and he took me across the hall and introduced me to Grady ... who, I believe, had drunk a poisoned martini the night before.

Chris got me a seat on stage that night, so I was sight there in the middle of all that music coming from Willie, Chris, Grady, Paul English, et. al.

May he rest in peace.