Paint Stripping

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Justin May

Paint Stripping

Post by Justin May »

Hello. I am planning on stripping the cracked black paint off of a project lap steel I have. There's very nice wood under there, maybe a tung oil finish is in order. Any of you guys know much about a product named CitraStrip or something to that effect? Any recommendations?

This forum and it's back logs have been a great learning tool for me. Thank you very much.

------------------
"He could trap the biggest, meanest alligator and just use one hand."
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Justin May on 26 August 2003 at 02:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

When I started to refinish my T-8 Stringmaster, I went to Walmart and bought a couple of cans of paint stripper in an aerosol can. It worked very good. Not much stink and cleaned up quite easily.
Erv
Justin May

Post by Justin May »

Thank you Erv. I'll look at Wal-Mart.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

The citrus stuff works well, as well as nasty stuff like Cleen Cutter.

I'll also issue my standard warning. If this is an original, vintage guitar you could be tossing away a lot of re-sale value. (not to mention history) Re-fins, even well done typically will not retain the value of an original finish, even one in poor condition.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Justin, just about any paint stripping product will do the job.

Congratulations, you are doing the right thing, if the old guitar is in need of refinishing. You must ask yourself, do I reguard this guitar as an instrument or an "invesment tool". If you plan on playing the guitar in public, definately, proceed with the refinishing.

Personally, there are very few things that I want with the adjective "vintage" in front of the subject. Wine comes to mind. But, don't trade your 32 year old wife for two 16s. Image

Rick
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I am doing the final assembly on a T-8 Fender Stringmaster. I will be posting some "after" pictures soon. You will be able to determine for yourself if you would rather have the "before" or "after" model. There is no question in my mind as to my choice of the two.

Justin,
By the way, check out the nitro cellulose colors available at http://www.flash.net/~guitars/
This is the site for Guitar ReRanch. I used their products to refinish my T-8. IMHO, a much better finished product than tung oil.
ERv<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 27 August 2003 at 12:37 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 27 August 2003 at 12:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

I'll comment one more time on the re-fin stuff. I don't not re-fin vintage guitars out of an effort to retain their $$ value. I do it for personal aesthetics, a sense of history and a sensitivity to the past. What a guitar looks like matters not a whit to how it sounds and plays and unless you're in some glam-band a nicely worn vintage instrument is a thing of joy to most knowledgeable audience members.
I have a '33 National El Trovador, my one and only vintage guitar. It's finish is terrible. Crazed, chipped in places, shrunken binding, a nice crack on one side and another on the neck (both repaired, but not re-fin'ed)
It also sounds like the voice of God. I could re-finish it, and then I have would have a great sounding, pretty guitar with no character or sense of history. Most people I show it to are in awe that it's 70 years old and shows every year.
You can see it here: http://www.maricopaguitarco.com/blues_wizards.html
Check out the even worse 1930 Triolian in the picture next to it. Guess that would look better with a shiny new paint job and some flames.
I guess I just love old things and hate to see them altered unnecessarily. (and really hate to see such joy expressed in the doing of such deeds) A guitar must play correctly to be of any use, so fix the fingerboard, P/Us, tuners, pots etc. But leave a little of it for future generations to admire.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike D on 27 August 2003 at 04:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Justin May

Post by Justin May »

Thank you for the suggestions!
I've pictures here:

This is the way I received it, with some of the routing already done. I'll have to pick the hardware for it, probably fabricating a fretboard out of plexiglass.

-Justin

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Justin May on 27 August 2003 at 04:40 PM.]</p></FONT>