Eagles Concert

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

John Macy

Eagles Concert

Post by John Macy »

Having been an average sort of Eagles fan, I was a bit unenthused when I heard they were playing the debut opening of our new, really expensive, tax-payer funded football stadium.

However, I got a comp ticket in a luxury box ($225 for the ticket, plus $40 catering--nice to know the right people...) and I've got to say the show was outstanding. I tend to forget just how good they really were (are). It was a tight killer show--no flash. Everyone played together on one level, real amps, real monitors, anvil cases laying arond on the side of the stage. Perfect vocals (and I know my way around autotuners to know when they are being used Image), and they rocked like dogs.

An added treat was one of my favorite quitarists, Steuart Smith was playing, and they gave him lots of room to go for it.

All in all, a very cool night.
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL> . . . tax-payer funded football stadium . . . . $225 for the ticket . . </SMALL>
Wow, at that rate, the taxpayers may even someday make a profit. Image

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

What's the giveaway that an autotuner on vocals is being used?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

We just did a concert with
"Hotel California" Eagles tribute band, and we were expecting a killer show. They had the balls to use a cd with vocal harmonies and mix from stage to main front. I lost my interest immediately and they had troubles all nite. So much for talent, don't expect to play steel if you don't have talent.
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Hi John,
Steuart Smith giggin' with the Eagles?
Coool!! He's one of my faves also.His playing
is a study of tasteful composition and right now that's the best I can come up with.So I think I'll go find that ACL video tape with Shawn Colvin and Larry Kline on bass and be amazed for a while.
Jerry
Bob Putnam

Post by Bob Putnam »

John,
Did Don Felder play any steel? He is a killer guitar picker and is a pretty good steel player. He has played steel on at least one of their videos.
Bob Putnam
Geoff Brown

Post by Geoff Brown »

The last I heard, Don Felder was dismissed from his duties with the band. My understanding is that he wanted to see the books due to concerns over where money was going, who was getting paid what, and so on. I did hear it on the news...not that it's any more credible because of that.
I like the Eagles..especially the earlier material before the string sections and glossy production took away some of that edge.
I always liked POCO a whole lot more. Now that's a show I would get excited about Image
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>I always liked POCO a whole lot more. Now that's a show I would get excited about </SMALL>
Me too, as long as Jimmy Messina is on guitar instead of that rocker, Cotton.

Speaking of Messina, what's he up to these days?
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Messina's more of a studio guy now.

In regards to the Eagles, after Bernie left they lost a lot of their heart. Joe Walsh is okay, but I've never been a big fan of his material, pre or post Eagles.

The fact that the Eagles are touring without Randy Meisner is enough reason to not go to see them. Schmidt is a capable replacement, but his songs are definately MOR compared to Randy, in fact I feel that Randy and Bernie kept the adult contemporary-middle of the road sound out of the group as long as possible. When the gloss got to heavy, they bailed.
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

...did I just step into a time-warp?...didn't that happen 25 years ago?...
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I love this thread! Being an "old" California boy they've always been one of my favorite acts! I read somwhere that The Eagles Inc. or whatever they were called was a partnership consisting of Don Henley, Glen Frey, and Don Felder. I understand that Henley & Frey ousted Don Felder for reasons I'm not sure of. It's too bad. Did you see the Hell Freezes Over show on cable? I taped the thing and when they did Hotel California it knocked me out. The acoustic guitar stuff was great! On that song I thought that Don Felder blew Joe Walsh off the stage when they did their solos. Felder's a cool picker to say the least! I liked Bernie Leadon's B*bender work on Peaceful Easy Feeling and some other stuff. I wish they'd come here for a concert. I never go to concerts anymore but I'd have to make an exception in that case.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

I'm glad to hear the Eagles are still sounding good. Unfortunately, there were sound porblems at the concert for the fans in the nose bleed section, according to the
Denver papers. I've always been a fan of Tmothy B., especially from his Poco days. Speaking of Poco, I saw them at Hudson Gardens here in Denver over the summer. They sounded great, although Rusty Young did not play any steel, just some FryPan stuff that really rocked. However, Goerge Grantham was back on drums, so with Rusty, George and Paul (that rocker guitarist), the vintage Poco sound came pretty close. The topper occured when Richie Furary (?) magically appeared and sang a few tunes. Ritchie lives up in Boulder. I sure enjoyed the show.
By the way, John, how is the new Buddy E recording coming along? When do you plan to leave for St. Louis? Let's get together before then and get some coffee.
Chuck<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 15 August 2001 at 08:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Shilling

Post by Bob Shilling »

I really enjoy listening to the Eagles recorded stuff. Unfortunately, the only time I heard them live was at a Joe Cocker concert in Denver, in the early seventies. They were the warmup group, and had not yet released their first record, so they weren't known. The audience treated them badly, as they were covering for Joe being his usual 90 minutes late. They had to spend as much time calming the audience as they did performing. Image

Joe Cocker was great. Image

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"

Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Guys, I did see the 'Hell Freezes Over' show, it was actually quite impressive, I do remain less than enthusiastic about Timbo though.
I must admit to a preference to the earliest Poco sets, although if given the chance to see them, I certainly would.
The Hell Freezes Over tour was a little strange though, after all the line-up on that tour had done one studio album and a live set before the group split in the 1980s, so I do feel that a Meisner presence would have been interesting at least.

As aside note, has anyone compared Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band's 'Garden Party' LP from 1972 to the Eagles self titled 1972 debut album?
Not only was Eagle Randy Meisner ex-Stone Canyon Band, but one of the Nelson songs had his co-songwriting credit.
Both featured pedal steel in a rather low key setting, the tunes went from quiet ballads to near glam rock numbers as well as each containg one particuarly eccentric track on each.
Out of all the Californian country-rock releases of 1972, I'd have to say that those two releases were practically soul mates.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I, too, watched the HFO tour show, and when they put the acoustical guitar ride in "Hotel California", I just turned it off!

Hard to believe they chose to change, and thereby "screw-up" a really CLASSIC song. (That's like re-doing the Stones' "Satisfaction", and doing the intro on a banjo!)
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Seems like earlier this year I caught a snipit of the Eagles on public television and there were 4 trombone players doing the guitar solo parts. I don't remember the tune,it might have been Hotel California. What the heck was that all about?! There was a lead player on the stage. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing...so I changed channels.Anybody else see the same concert? Next thing you know we'll be hearing John Phillips Souza playing the Beach Boys!! Image
Rich Paton

Post by Rich Paton »

BRRRR, it sure is COLD down here! :>)