Steve Feldman

Nothing but Jimi Hendrix...

Post by Steve Feldman »

...on the box this day.

Thank-you.
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Steve, what box ?

Yesterday I went to try to cop a tune off the country radio station for an upcoming gig.
I discovered that my radio antenna has been disconnected since I installed a satellite dish.... 4 months ago.
No wonder I've been so happy lately Image
I think my hair might be growing back too.
-John
erik

Post by erik »

I left the world of psychedelia in the late 70s.

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

It ended?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Jimi who?
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

What's a JIMI HENDRIX? Some new kind of drinky-poo??? Image
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Heathens! You're all Heathens!!
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Good idea Steve--Axis is cranking here are the moment, with Live From Monterey to follow....
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

Steve is that a street drug,or a over the counter drug you got with that box????????Hummm jimi hendrix,I do'nt think I ever sniffed any of that stuff?????????Can you decribe the efect's this drug put's on you,and what is the cost???????

------------------
BJ Bailey

Pete Mitchell

Post by Pete Mitchell »

Hey Guys, Is this the same Jimi Hendrix that Ray Price stole out of Webb Pierce's band? Seriously, though, you take 4 Marshall stacks, 4 12's per stack, crank everything on 12, play the "Star Spangled Banner" to 100,000 or so drug-crazed fans. That ain't all, pick that dawggoned geetar with yore teeth, then set it down, pour lighter fluid all over it, strike a match to the geetar, and all of a sudden you're the world's greatest rock 'n roll geetar player!!! Remember when he played for Little Richard? I believe he was aka Jimmy James (no kin to Jesse)! ....Pete

P.S. Hey, Rockers, just joking.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Mitchell on 04 June 2001 at 08:31 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Mitchell on 04 June 2001 at 08:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve G

Post by Steve G »

Jimi Hendrix was a true inovator and a genius on the guitar. I remember reading a couple of interviews with him (some 30 years ago) and he mentioned that one of his influences was non other than Bob Wills. I thought that was strange but it was printed in black and white. Although I knew who BW was this was one thing that led me to know more about Bob Wills and western swing music.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Anger he smiles, towering in shiny metallic purple armor
Queen jealousy, envy waits behind him
Her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground
Blue are the life giving waters, taken for granted
They quietly understand.
Once happy Turquoise armies lay opposite at ready
But wonder why the fighting is on
But they're all bold as love
they're all bold as love
they're all bold as love
Just ask the Axis
My Red is so confident
He flashes trophies of war and ribbons of euphoria
Orange is young, full of daring
But very unsteady for the first go round
My Yellow in this case is not so mellow
In fact I'm trying to say that it's frightened like me
But all these emotions of mine
Keep holding me from giving my life to a rainbow like you
But I'm, yeah, I'm bold as love
Well, I'm bold, bold as love
I'm bold as love
Just ask the Axis, he knows everything</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they don' write 'em like THAT anymore!

jes' ax de axis!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 07 June 2001 at 12:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

Is that supose to be a song?,or is that a script for a lost in space movie?????? Image Image
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Thanx Dave, Axis:Bold as... is one of my favorites. IMHO the best tune Jimi wrote.
(i do a Reggea version of it)
Unfortunatly, not many ears listen to Jimi anymore ! (that was 30 years ago !)
i understand that the majority of Steelers here are traditionaly Country addicts regretting past Times. (60 years ago !)
Glad to hear Jr Brown got it all over his shoes.
Steel the old Way, in a new Way

X'cuse me while i Steel for the sky Image
Ken Tinsman

Post by Ken Tinsman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>My Red is so confident
He flashes trophies of war and ribbons of euphoria</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't tell them about that one over in Off Topic - they'll be calling him a Comm'nist conspirator. Add in that "'scuse me while I kiss this guy" stuff, and they'll be wanting to burn his records.
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

Hey Ken some of that would even go in the marijuana topic,over in offtopic.Or was that powder up his nose that helped jimi sing spaceout songs??????
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

I suppose there is more to life than Ray Price shuffles and 'Steel Guitar Rag,' although this probably isn't the forum to discuss it.

What suprised me is the actual topic.
When I turn on the radio I certainly don't get to hear the Jimi Hendrix Experience (I don't really care for anything after the Experience split, although the Woodstock group could have been great if they'd miked anything besides Jimi, Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchel).

Usually the airwaves seem to be jammed with Ricky Martin and all the Britney Spears-Shania Twain-alikes, or several overly ernest rock bands which seem to be simplifying the sound that Pearl Jam had hit records with in 1992.

Those Jimi Hendrix Experience albums and songs have too much space to breathe, too much soul and fire, and aren't filled with catchy choruses. So why would any station play them, they don't play any other music that fits that criteria.
They do play that Carlos Santana guy, but I haven't liked anything of his after 1973.
I guess it's all a matter of taste.

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Hey Ken some of that would even go in the marijuana topic,over in offtopic.Or was that powder up his nose that helped
jimi sing spaceout songs??????</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Windowpane

I saw him play in Rochester NY, early spring '68. The opening act was Soft Machine and they were pretty amazing also.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by chas smith on 08 June 2001 at 09:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Hey Chas -

I saw Hendrix and Soft Machine in a circle in the round outside of Boston around the same time - must have been the same tour. Saw him a few months later at the old Rhode Island Auditorium. A true original genius. I like Stevie Ray's cover of "Voodoo Child," which gets a lot of TV play as a Nissan ad.
Pete Mitchell

Post by Pete Mitchell »

Hey Joe, I ain't gettin' old or nuthin, I don't think. Some years back, I was asked if I knew "Hey Joe." I answered with a very cocky, "Yes, indeed," and proceeded to kick off Carl Smith's pearly, girly. I think they thought I was nuts, as I didn't realize their "Hey Joe" intended to go out and shoot his old lady down with the gun in his hand. Sorry, Jimi. .....Shemp's friend, Pete
Joel Glassman

Post by Joel Glassman »

Re: hendrix and Wills:
I think Hendrix was listening to
Junior Barnard's guitar solos. --
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Chas and Frank,
I too saw him on that tour here in Chicago.
Hey, let's start a thread about how Rock music isn't as good as it used to be!
Or, Hendrix VS Wills: Who's Better? Image
His guitar playing during those vocal verses of Axis is as good as it gets.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark Durante on 14 June 2001 at 05:46 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark Durante on 14 June 2001 at 05:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Here's another one, Cream, first US tour, and nobody knows who they are, had to be around '66 or '67, I was playing in a band and we went and saw them at The Psychadelic Supermarket in Boston, which was basically an underground parking garage. I heard things I never heard before.