BUCK vs GEORGE

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

"can't we all just get along?"
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

As I said above, they both had "crew cuts" during the early years.....but I don't know which one had the "first" one! www.genejones.com
Sam Marshall

Post by Sam Marshall »

The Stones said George.

The Beatles said Buck.

Flame on!!!!!

Samn in AZ
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

I love them both but they sure sound different.Were they both as popular at the same time but in different sections of the USA?Was George as big outside the south in the early 60s?Was Buck real big in the South in the early 60s?What do you think?
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

Thanks Andy, I think you are getting the jest of this thread. This was not intended to be a "who's better" kind of thing... but it went there. So could we redirect it back to the original intent. C'mon old timers, let's hop in there and recollect. Image Larry
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Bobbe, it was Jay Dee Maness who replaced Tom Brumley from 1969-1970, then Buck dropped the steel until 1971 when he hired Jerry.

Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Buck had Don, but when George had Johnny Paycheck, there was a combination that could hurt you. Paycheck is one of the few that can follow George onstage and impress you.
He is also one hell of a harmonizer.
Dave Brophy

Post by Dave Brophy »

Dr.Kildare dug Buck and Don.
Ben Casey was into the Possum.Especially the slow tunes.
-Dave
TomP

Post by TomP »

No need to say which one I like best, but just let me say either one would have to stand on the other's shoulders to kiss Don Rich's boots. And, yes, Buck does have a uniqiue voice, but just thank God in the late 50's and early 60's Marty Robbins' voice wasn't quite that unique. Plus, the only way Buck could blister a tele is with a Zippo.
That should do it.

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

They are two completely different styles, but different styles compete, and are compared all the time. It's a valid question.

For a few years, I think Buck was "hotter". I think that Buck could have edged out George in a very short period...say from '66-'69. Buck did all kinds of songs, but George was a ballad singer. But, when Buck lost Don, he lost his "spark". I do think that Buck could have replaced Don, but his heart just wasn't in it.

Few country performers will ever match George's longevity on the charts, though.

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Buck or George? Love 'em both!

Of course, this is sort of like what PGA golf fans will be discussing this week -- Who's going to finish 2ND in the US Open. Image

------------------
HagFan

Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'd have to say it's ol' Buck! As a former west coast musician I'll have to lean for him. As far as I know, George, while a great singer was never much of a song writer. Buck did it all, vocal, songwriting, and guitar playing. That was him on those old Tommy Collins records of the fifties. Does anyone know what year Terry Christofferson of whatever his last name was went to work for Buck? Buck's early stuff like Excuse Me, I think I Got A Heartache, or Under Your Spell Again and others can't be beat, EVER!!!!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

I agree with Jerry - Overall, Buck would have the edge over George. Buck's up tempo & shuffle songs were his strong points, as well as having a "recognizable" band. I think that helped his popularity. Buck handled his business & personal life a little better as well.

But - Nobody can sing a ballad like George. His phrasings are more unique than Buck's. Buck never did anything that put the chills down my neck. (Don Rich's harmony did, though)

Since the Hag came on the scene shortly after these guy's career's got going, What about adding him to the fray???
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Here's a quote from Dave Marsh, famous music author, and editor of the R/S record guide...
<SMALL>Buck Owens was probably the greatest country artist of the '60s, and certainly the one most influenced by rock and soul.</SMALL>
(I just happened to run across it while doing some research on Otis Clay.)
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Jerry, how's it going man?
In answer to your question Terry Christofferson apparently joined Buck in 1975 or 1976.
As far as I know Jerry Brightman was with buck until 1976, but Terry once emailed me and mentioned that he joined Buck in April of 1975.
Terry and Buckaroos piano/keyboard player Jim Shaw were in a 1960s surf band before they both did a stint in the Military, I've forgotten the group's name, but they do have a compialtion of their recordings on the Sundazed label, the same label that reissues the Buck Owens albums now.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be