Country Awards

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Let's compare real country music to the country beat.The beat goes on, that beat that "WE" love still exist and goes on,that's the beat we chose to stick with and protect,and never allow to die.The radio stations are playing a different beat,one "WE" chose not to like or accept.They are calling something country that is not country."WE" are saying it's not country.Let them move on,nothing wrong with moving on."WE" are moving on,we're simply taking our values,"The real country beat" with us.
Ray
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Time marches on whether we want it to or not, and change is inevitable, even in our music.

A perspective: .......40-50 years ago the musicians playing Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, Spade Cooley, west coast, et al, were saying basically the same things being said above about the music business being ruined or destroyed, only at that time they were referring to that "bunch of hillbillies with pedal steels and harmonicas playing that atrocious 3-chord crap" coming out of Nashville......and later everyone condemned the Beatles & Elvis for putting all of "us" out of work!

.......but the music so despised at that time eventually became accepted and evolved into the "greats" (Hag, Jones, George Strait, and all those admired musicians like Emmons, Hughey, Franklin)and a bunch of the guys on this very Forum.

But before anyone decides to "flame" me over these comments, I am not expressing a personal preference of music here, I am only relating what I honestly believe to be the true facts as I have seen it in this business during my 50 years in it.

I personally find it difficult to accept some of the evolutionary changes in the music of today, but I do try to be positive about it.....I wish things would always be as they were when I was comfortable with things and felt like I was "in the trend", because today I sometimes feel that I am being left behind......but I think that is the nature of life, and I have confidence that most things are for the best, and that someday these "new" artists and "new" directions in music, will be revered as we do those of our generation......

..... And when I look at my grandchildren, I hope that is the case, as I would not want them to miss feeling the joy of music as I have during my lifetime.

With respect to everyone,

Gene Jones www.genejones.com

David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL>I recently heard Tim Magraws "things change" and I listened closely to the words and that's really how it is.</SMALL>
"Things Change"

Verse 1
They wouldn’t let him play the Opry
With whiskey on his breath
And it didn’t take them long
To figure out just what they’d missed
He went down that lost highway
Underneath that purple sky
A legend disappeared before his time
Things change

Verse 2
They said he was the devil
Dressed in gold lame’
The way he shook his hips
Up there on that stage
But before that fateful day
When he left Tennessee
All of them were calling him "The King"
Things change

Verse 3
Well they like to call them hippies
Outlaws with guitars
But they brought a little country to the honky-tonks and bars
They might have got a little crazy
They might have flown a little to high
But somewhere somebody’s playing their songs tonight

Things change, don’t you know they change

Verse 4
Some say it’s too country
Some say it’s too rock and roll
But it’s just good music if you could feel it in your soul
And it doesn’t really matter
It always looks the same
Life goes on but things change

Things change
Things change
Don’t you know they change, yeah yeah yeah
Things, they keep on changing
Gonna keep on, keep on, keep on, keep on changing

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

I think the TONE of the show was very unacceptable.

------------------
If it feels good. do it.
If it feels Country,
DO IT TWICE
JPP

erik

Post by erik »

Ray Jenkins, you're scaring me. My new song that i'm working on (which i started Friday) is pretty much what you are talking about. The title is, well, pretty close too. I'm still reworking lyrics but i can't wait to share it with the forumites.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Heck "far" erik,and yesterday I could'nt even spell "song writer".You go guy and let us here it when you get it finished Image
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona