Country Awards

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

There is a reason why I don't have a TV and haven't had one since '72. If I need to see the Lakers, I go down to the market and watch em there.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Well, I didn't bother watching it. According to you guys, guess I didn't miss much...al
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

Times have changed. Follow the money. My thoughts on page one of this tread still stand.

Hey Ray - I'll be a defender of "modern 'country'" if you want one to bit@h at. Pop music is just that, pop music. Always has been. And what is selling ($) today as "country" ain't your fathers Oldsmobile, that's true. It's something that might be better called "American Pop Music" (APM) as another forumite coined it a few years ago. Move on, get over it. Find other ground.

If you were expecting old-time country on the 2001 CMA award circus, you should have known better by now.

I say let the good times roll. (Boobs and all Image , just keep the steel in it).

Best, -Dave

<font size=-1>What a bunch of grumpy old men...</font>

------------------
Mullen (See! No "S") D-10 <font size=-1>
<a href=http://home.earthlink.net/~davehorch/music>Photo page</a> </font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 10 May 2001 at 07:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

"I was told by a local old time steel player that the Mob has taken over country music and they want the steel guitar out"

Man, this thread beats the Comedy Channel by a mile... Image

Gotta run, I'm gonna catch a cab with Dave Horch and Theresa and go have some fun....<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Macy on 10 May 2001 at 08:01 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Macy on 10 May 2001 at 08:01 PM.]</p></FONT>
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Can't say much that hadn't already been said. I watched about 3 mins of the shindig, just long enough to see a fellow playing a Franklin do a few fills. He did a good job, wish I could have heard more, but it was not to be. Hang in there, folks, we still can hear a ton of steel at St. Louis in Sept. ImageThey'll have to pry my steel outa my hands to bury me, or dig that hole a little deeper.
Image Image

------------------
"Steel is the real deal"

Amanda Ward

Post by Amanda Ward »

Okay, I can't argue with anything here since we didn't even get a telcast of it here (or did we?? Hmm...) but I was just wondering.....

All the bashing of Leanne and the DC's etc etc.... I'm curious as to the lack of snide remarks regarding the Best New Male Artist........ my dad (Tony Davis) hates him.. and I was under the impression Keith Urban was kinda a dirty word around here.....

Just curious is all....
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

as dave said over and over tonight on the letterman show...they're young, talented, gifted performers.....but that ain't country...call it something else!!...it ain't country.....then he made references to many real country performers, and was right on!......but that stuff ain't country...it's a halftime show!!!
Steve England

Post by Steve England »

"I was told by a local old time steel player that the Mob has taken over country music and they want the steel guitar out"

That makes sense. They could save a small fortune on concrete boots. Just handcuff us to our steels and dump us off a bridge!!
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL>They could save a small fortune on concrete boots. Just handcuff us to our steels and dump us off a bridge!!</SMALL>
Anybody wanna buy my MSA? I suddenly feel the urge to get a Carter instead. Image

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Richard Plummer

Post by Richard Plummer »

Got to agree about the Leann Rimes thing.Any of you fellas seen the vide I need you.At the end of the video,it says it is off the mini series Jesus.supposibly she is supposed to be singing to God but she sure dosnt dress the part.They play her music on pop stations.I wont say on here what she dresses like,but I am pretty mad,and I will let you use your imagination.If she wants to sing a supposed song to God,she needs to remember the bible passage where Jesus says Honor your Father and Mother.He who curses father and Mother let him die the death.
Also she thinks she is such a hotsy totsy singer,if you listen when she hits some of her notes,she is throaty sounding.She tries to sound black in some of her singing.I say to her maybe she can get some voice lessons an maybe learn how to dress and maybe she will be something as a singer.I saw Trisha Yearwood come in to the place I work at night,and she has 3 times the voice that Leann does,more power and better tonal quality in my opinion.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

<SMALL>I'm curious as to the lack of snide remarks regarding the Best New Male Artist.</SMALL>
Amanda, Good point.

I was so darn ticked of at the lack of super high hairdos that the can of bud fell off my stomach ! Real country singers have high hairdos !

Bob

The general level of cognitive skills shown in these type of threads could be used by scientists as way of rebuking Darwin Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 13 May 2001 at 04:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

I think that the song that George Strait did a short while ago about "The Murder That was Committed Down On Music Row" sums it all up for me-They killed country music as I have known and loved it,and I seldom even listen to the "country" radio stations anymore-how I long for the days when you could turn the radio on and hear guys like Tony Booth,Gary Stewart,and Mel Street and gals like Tammy,Loretta,and Connie-what a shame its become-I wouldnt buy any new artists music-I stick to my old 45's and albums from the time when the country songs were for real and so were the people who sang them
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL>Real country singers have high hairdos !</SMALL>
Lyle Lovett? Image

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Tony Chavez

Post by Tony Chavez »

I was thinking.......Maybe Country Music should seperate Country Music from Pop country and call it "Alternitive Country".That way we could go our way and they could go thiers.See what Garth started!

------------------
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

And then one of us could become famous and turn into the anti-Garth. We could have an alter-ego that does a whole album of nothing but hard-core country songs. mmmmmmm

------------------
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

RE: "Country Awards" Image

What country??? Image

I didn't bother watching either,'cause I knew what it was gonna be.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>

Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I am reading this thread, and the whole time I am picturing a bunch of nursing home residents waving their canes at the guy driving by blasting his music loud and complaining "turn that junk down, you whipper-snapper!".

Let me first clarify that I, too, am a fan of the old-style country music ('50s & '60s). And I rarely turn on today's country radio. Why? It doesn't sound anything like the country from 3 decades ago....NOR SHOULD IT!!! Music evolves...though people's tastes rarely do. What you grow up with is what you like....whn that changes, you oppose it.

Let's face it...today's radio sounds nothing like it did 30 years ago. The top-40 stuff in the '50s and '60s were Motown soul, British pop, doo-wop, Italian crooners and slick-haired rock n rollers. And back then, you could certinly say that the radio was playing NOTHING like it did in the '30s and '40s. As far as I can tell, today's top-40 does not have any big names from the aforementioned styles (aside from some Beatles rip-off bands like Oasis).

Cut to the '70s...pop-rock and psychedelia was replaced by Disco and heavy metal...bubblegum and Beatles were fading...by the '90s, the music scene was dominated by three-string power chords and very little talent. No doo-wop or disco (with very few one-off exceptions)....hardly any songs on the radio had "real" instruments (i.e. no drum machines or synthesizers). Those that did were branded "alternative" (though most alternative bands were, as I said, 3-chord power chord wonders).

What to do? If you love the old top-40 music, you listen to the oldies station. If you're a fan of the '30s and 40s classics, there is usually an AM station in the bigger cities to fill those tastes.

My point is, there is no way that anyone could expect the music of the '50s and '60s, regardless if it was jazz, country, rock or whatever, to not evolve and change. Sure, what is being called "country" today may not seem like country to anyone on this forum. It could easily be branded pop-rock with an occasional fiddle or steel thrown in (and a nice country accent on the vocals), thus segregating it from regular top-40 radio. But I wouldn't be surprised that 20 years from now there will be a group of steelers complaining that "today's music sounds nothing like the Dixie Chicks, Garth Brooks or Alan Jackson".

Joe
**Dekley S-12 5/4**

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Hey retcop; You are going to have a stroke if you don't calm down.Take it easy ,less coffee and donuts instead take a few beers even if the music will not get any better the more beers you drink you won't care how Jo_dee Messina looks.Maybe even Smiley will look good to you in his br Imagewn and yell Imagew sh Imagerts.

------------------
CJC

Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

"What a bunch of grumpy old men..."

Amen

Bill Ferguson

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
KEVIN OWENS

Post by KEVIN OWENS »

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by KEVIN OWENS on 13 May 2001 at 03:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
KEVIN OWENS

Post by KEVIN OWENS »

What's all this reference to "grumpy old men" ? I'm 32 years old and don't have a cane or rockin' chair. Sorry if you people don't like "real" country music and yes we have a right to complain about the people who are destroying the music we love. If you like sh%#ty pop/rock music fine, but don't insult the real country fans (or real pop/rock fans for that matter) by talking about how great it is and how it's so much better than the music from the golden era of orignal playing, singing and songwriting. It's not country and not even good rock.

Money is not the main reason to play music. The love of music is the reason one should play. The best thing that could happen to country music is for the sale to continue dropping. Then maybe all the money hungry corporations / hippies will pull out and we can get back to playing country music. Independant country labels? It's already started more in Texas than in other places I would think but, it's a start.

In closing I would like to say that if the artist had as much talent and respect for country as they did for their ego then country music would be in good hands. To bad it's not.

Kevin
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by KEVIN OWENS on 13 May 2001 at 03:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

<SMALL>Then maybe all the money hungry corporations / hippies will pull out and we can get back to playing country music.</SMALL>
You guys are killing me ! I just spilled taco sauce on my favorite nascar tee shirt.

Bob
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I'm sitting at my desk reading the forum and cleaning up my space. There under the pile are 3 letters from the Call and Call accountancy corp. They are ballots for the recent Academy of Country Music Awards show.

Not only did I not get tickets for the show, or watch it on TV, I didn't even send in my vote. I feel a litte guilty for not voting, especially in the instrumentalist category. These people are the ones who make the music happen. The steel guitar nominees were Paul Franklin, Bill Johnson and Jay Dee Maness.

For b0b, the specialty instrument category included Jimmy Henley on banjo.

This "New" country takes a lot of the fun out of it, even for voting members.
Ken