Leslie Cabinets

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

John Steele

Leslie Cabinets

Post by John Steele »

In my travels this week, I came across a hammond leslie, stored in the corner of the basement of a country church. They had recently replaced the old organ/leslie with a new one.
I expressed an interest in it, and the church expressed an interest in selling it.
I'm hesitant, as I don't know the first thing about leslies, except that they sound cool and there's nothing like them.
This is in a mahogany cabinet, and in very good shape. It's 60 watts.
The connection on it was a D.I.N connector. (6 pins ?) Can this be adapted to use it on other instruments?
-John
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Yes, We used one for a number of years, untill....( I got old and cound'nt carry it around anymore. It's very heavey.)

Our's just pluged into the external SPK jack of any "Fender" amp we were using at tha time. Worked like a champ !! Sounded wonderful and we really hated to give it up but no one was willin' to cart it around for me.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I've got a little experience with Leslies. The 6 pin connector usually carries a ground,in phase audio, out of phase audio , neutral AC, hot AC, switching voltage for the hi/lo rotor speed. Well I guess that's six. There's lots of variation so take this as a generalization. They can be modified for guitar use, but it's not that simple. Easiest way is to get a Leslie PreAmp that has an instrument level input. Hope some of that's useful...Jerry
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I bought a Leslie 122 quite a few years ago and it had the same DIN setup. I had to build a pre-amp (I actually modified an old Electro-Harmonix LPB-2 "Power Booster") to make it work. Just making an adapter cord to insert the straight guitar signal didn't provide enough gain.

At one time Leslie made that "Combo Preamp" that J Fletcher mentioned, but they were sorta pricey at the time. The sound of those big wooden Leslies is pretty cool.

I checked ebay, searching for "leslie speaker" and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1424755248

Turns out there are quite a few leslie speakers and accesories for auction.

------------------
Home Page

Mikel Nelson

Post by Mikel Nelson »

I also play Hammond. As I recall, this site sold converters for the leslie pin connector to guitar jack

www.goffprof.com

b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm moving this to the Electronics forum. You'll probably get more response there.