Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

chas

Bar Recommendation for dobro and lap steel

Post by chas »

can someone recommend a bar for 6 string dobro and lap? thanks chas
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

For Dobro, the old-timers would use a Stevens bar with flat ends. These seem very primitive awkward compared to newer designs like Scheerhorn, with beveled ends, lower center of gravity, large radius, etc. A round bar is not good for a Dobro, because it does not lend itself to hammer-on and pull-off techniques that are a big part of the bluegrass Dobro style. For 6-string lap steel, I try to use a round bar for classic tone -- but sometimes it's easy to "cheat" and use my Scheerhorn for that, too.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Actually, a roundnose bullet bar may be very appropriate for Dobro - it depends. I use a lot of open string chords, sometimes, using the tip of bullet bar to note two strings. You can't do that with a Sheerhorn, shubb, Lap Dawg, etc. On the other hand, it's pretty tough to do bluegrass-style hammer/pull flurries with a bullet bar so it all depends on what style you play (or want to play). Do a search - you'll find lots of opinions on this topic.
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

I've had a lot of success with hammers and pulls using a BJS 6/8 string bullet bar...
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Gary Swallows is coming on really strong with his custom bars- similar to a Scheerhorn or lap dog, with the flared ends for faster pulloffs, but the upper half with the finger grip area is made of exotic wood! Smooth, warm and harder to drop than metal. Since they're custom, he'll also make a bullet end. I have one of each style and the bullet end is the best of both worlds, you can do the hammer/pulloffs easily, plus get the slants etc. with the bullet tip. Check him out at: http://www.gssteels.com/gssteels/

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Hello chas,

Well, bars are kinda like cookin' potatoes. There are lots of ways.

I play PSG and SG 80% of the time. I just use the same 7/8 stainless bar. Sometimes I use the Red Rajah cause it sticks to your hand and is more quiet on the strings. Another alternative is the grey plastic 7/8 bar that Goodrich makes to be used with the Matchbro. Very light, fast, not slippery and, sounds fine on the dobro. (It has a funky sound on electrics) Whenever I try to go back to the Stevens type bar, I get caught in the strings. Image

My style is more country, Hawaiian, jazz, and noise.

(ps I really like your cd)

Ron

------------------
Stringmaster T8, Benoit 8, National Tricone, MSA U12

Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

HI Chas,
I like the shub/pearse2.its kinda like a steavens on one end and round nosed on the other.I like the round end for chord and general melody lines,and if the tune has a lot of hammer ons/pull-offs I simply turn the bar around and use the sharper end.they are well made and with very little practice
you can flip it around end for end during a song if you like....But then,advice is like
hemmoroids.................... Image

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Gregg McKenna

Post by Gregg McKenna »

Larry, I do the same thing with my S.P.2 bar.
Harry Williams

Post by Harry Williams »

Me too...
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

I have a shelf full of steelbars that I've tried, and I always seem to come back to the SP2......
Next on my list is Loni Specter's glass 'Slipperislide', I'm curious about that one though it'll probably end up on my shelf with the others. At least it'll look good up there..