My Window Faces The South

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Joel Glassman

Post by Joel Glassman »

A group called the Moonlighters did a version of it (in the late 70s?)
They were an ofshoot of the Commander Cody group & played mostly country rock, but also Window & a good version of "Home in San Antone".
Window had a nice steel solo and a good riff to start off the solo.
also:
Has anyone ever found sheet music or a recording of the song's *verse*? Its the *chorus* which starts with "My window faces the south and I'm almost half way to heaven..."<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joel Glassman on 19 January 2001 at 11:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Jim, It has been a long time since I listened to those tapes. I am in Orlando going to Plant City Show tomorrow. When I get back to Atlanta the first of the week, I will pull it out and clear up the confusion.

Bill

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
Robert

Post by Robert »

I've got a nice story of how I came to learn that song. I was working on a commercial for Southwest Airlines that featured a couple of real singing cowgirls - I've since forgotten their names. Anyway, they were set in a sort of idealized western drive-in:
cactus and tumbleweeds behind a split-rail fence with the girls in a huge red convertible Cadillac. Maybe somebody here has seen it. After lunch they were entertaining themselves - singing "My Adobe Hacienda". When they had finished, I asked them if they could play "My Window Faces The South", and they were so cool: without missing a beat, one turned to the other - "Window in F!", and away they went, taking time with me afterward to show me the changes. They were the "real deal".

Rob
telecat

Post by telecat »

Graham, Kevin and Kenny are correct, on the J.D. Crowe and the New South album,"My Home aint in the Hall Of Fame" Rounder ROU-0103, Doug Jernigan takes a hell of a ride on "MWFTS", its not the best he's done but damn its good, also Hughey has a good version on his new album.
BB

------------------
www.southernmix.com

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I have a reel to reel tape that I copied off someones LP a long time ago, and my notation on the box is "Tex Williams at the Mint". I think it is the same one that someone mentioned earlier, with Glen Campbell, Kenny Mathis,etc. It's a good listen...if for nothing else than Tex's humorous narration of The Cowboys Prayer. I copied the words off the tape one time and used it on our show for awhile.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Ok here's the scoop on the Steel Guitar Cassette Club tape put out by Tom Bradshaw in 1984 called "Buddy Emmons on Tour"

I sent Tom 7 reel to reel tapes that he picked from for the cassette.

Buddy played all the songs except for:
Farewell Party,
Just a Closer Walk With Thee &
Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms

These 3 were played by Herby Wallace and Tom put these on the tape by mistake. So all that bought the tape got a little bonus.

By the way, My Window Faces The South was recorded in Ashville, SC at a little show that featured Buddy. That is Tony Ledford singing & bass, Woody Ledford on Guitar, Roger Roach on drums.

Now the final story is out.

Bill

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
Jimmie Misenheimer

Post by Jimmie Misenheimer »

I've heard MANY recordings/versions down through the years, but without a doubt the BEST version I ever heard was an old 45 by "Grady Martin And The Slew Foot Five". At first I thought Grady was on lead, but he told me it was Hank Garland. The "B" side - "Pork Chop Stomp" is hot too!!! A Proud Shriner - Jimmie Misenheimer