Straps from Folk of the Wood

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Lindley

Straps from Folk of the Wood

Post by Lindley »

Has anyone had any experience with the type of straps sold by Folk of the Wood or Paul Beard? I'm finding that locating a good strap is more difficult than I thought it would be. Looking at pictures, It seems to me that most of the straps could interfere with the bar hand when you play close to the nut. I here about "quick releasees", but there is no place near me to buy a strap, so I will have to order it. It's hard to order something you know nothing about. I just know it should be wide and soft...I think..
I also think it should be easy to take off, so you can put your guitar in thr case. I have a Crafters, and there is no extra room in the case for a strap....Please help!

John Lindley

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100, Crafters of Tennessee Virginian reso.

George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Hi John: I'm assuming you use the strap for a resonator guitar, not a Clell Summey lap strap.

There's a native chap in Toronto, Lionel Pelletier, who makes beautiful straps. He's a musician as well as a craftsman.

If you're interested, I'll give you his address and phone number.

Geo
Dan Farrell

Post by Dan Farrell »

John-- I bought my standard Dobro strap from Folk of the Wood and am very satisfied. It is very comfortable and does not interfere with playing.

Dan Farrel
'97 Carter D-10
Nashville 1000
Regal RD-45
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

I bought an extra long web strap at my local music store for $8. Works fine. Doesn't make any sense to me to buy a special $30 dobro strap.

------------------
Gary Anwyl

Post by Gary Anwyl »

I use a Webb Dobro strap from Elderly Instruments. As far as I know it is the same as the straps sold by Folk of the Wood and Paul Beard. It works fine. I like it. I think it's worth the money.

Previously I used a leather Dobro strap. Compared to a leather strap the Webb strap is not as stiff (so it feels more comfortable and fits in the case more easily). Also the padding is thicker and you can adjust the location of the padded section.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

A good freind of Pauls who happens to build
Pedal-bros just talked me into trying one of pauls straps.Top notch.Im very happy with it and I think you will be to!! Image
RB Jones

Post by RB Jones »

Lindley,

I've heard the Webb straps are good because the company makes one specifically for Dobro. Rob Ickes, among many others uses one.

Be warned about Folk of the Wood. I ordered one from them more than a month ago. They took my Paypal money but didn't get back to me about shipment status. I called them about two weeks later and they said they were out of them but "they will arrive today." Still haven't seen it or heard from them even though they have my email address (and my money). Elderly has a good reputation from what I've heard. As soon as I get my money back, that's probably where I'll buy one from.

RB<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by RB Jones on 28 July 2003 at 05:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Planet Waves makes a great quick-release strap-lock deal that fits at the tuners. Other end fits to your strap. About $9. Guitar Center etc.
James Brown

Post by James Brown »

I make Dobro and guitar straps here in my saddle shop.I have a unique way of fastening to the head stock.You can check out some of my saddle work @ www.steadybrooksaddlery.ca

If you are interested I can send you a few strap pictures. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by James Brown on 29 July 2003 at 10:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Phleger

Post by Larry Phleger »

I have a Folk of the Wood strap for my Regal RD-45, and am very pleasee with it. I ordered a Stubb bar from them, and it had to be back ordered. It took several weeks for that delivery to arrive.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

I have a Levy strap for Dobro -- all leather and extra long. It attaches to the peghead with a loop that can be secured through 3 holes by leather laces -- or "Chicago screws" that you can buy at leather or saddlery stores for a clean, retro look. Very durable, balances nicely, and I have looped it between the 3rd/4th string tuners and the 2nd/5th string tuners to keep it away from my left hand. Very nice accessory. Bought mine from www.fqms.com in Kentucky, but probably available elsewhere too.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I can really recommend the Beard/Webb straps- super comfortable and strong, attach and detach instantly and certainly fit in most cases- attached through the upper two sets of tuners, they definitely won't get in your way. I have one new one in stock right now if you can't find 'em elsewhere. www.markvanllen.com

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band