Darrell McCall

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

gene brown

Darrell McCall

Post by gene brown »

There is no one better qualified to be a member of the Grand Old Opry than Darrell McCall.Show me someone who loves country music any better,and sings better than Darrell. Why is he not a member? This guy is first class,and the best person you will ever meet.If you don't like Darrell McCall,you are not country. Gene
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

When you are right, you are right. Does he have to die first?

'Nashville is hell on the living, but it sure speaks well of the dead!"-quote
All the best,-Andy
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Darrell is pure country and I think he's been on the opry before. However, outside of the musician community he's not that well known which may be a barrier to him getting invited to join.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I don't Know about Darrel being unknown,Heck I remember when he had a hit called "a stranger was there" 1964...It's true he devoted himself in the early years as the harmony and back up to the best however he has never been given the open door by any label...And he is not the only one..Johnny Bush,Dennis Payne,and lest we not forget Curtis Potter....Anyone of those would be great additions to the Opry...Ray Sanders and the list goes on and on...

------------------
CJC

Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

why would anyone of the caliber of darrell mccall, curtis potter, or johnny bush want to contaminate themselves by joining the opry? they are thankfully the antithesis of what country music, and by extension the grand ole opry, has become.

would you have louis armstrong associating with chuck mangione? how about sidney bechet with kenny g? how about elvis back from the grave with scotty moore alongside eminem at the next grammies? ad vomitum. make up your own pairings.

if darrell would want to do it, more power to him. i prefer to think he wouldn't want to step down that far.

i just don't think what darrell mccall does day in and day out has much to do with what goes on at the opry. if the opry is "country", he certainly isn't, and we are all better off for it.

Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

I agree wholeheartedly with Gene, Andy, Joe, and Stlfnatic. Darrell McCall needs to be a member of the Grand Ole Opry, his presence would bring undoubtedly bring new life to the show and most definitely inspire the staff band. And he's 100% country.

It's not like Nashville, and the nation for that matter, doesn't know who Darrell is. He's been all over on the road and has been on the Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree (Clear Channel 650, WSM, coast-to-coast and border-to-boarder, remember?) many, many times, often with the Big E. And he has sold some records.

If I ran the Opry, Darrell would be a member and he would be there at least twice a month if I had to go over to his house in my own car and get him!

My $.02,
Tim R.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Rowley on 04 January 2001 at 10:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Oh yeah Darrell is one of the Kings of Honky Tonk. Folks just don't sing like that anymore and you diffinatly won't hear any singers like that on the Country Radio. That's what I truly miss; is someone that SINGS a song.
Ok now I would like to ask if anyone has a song from Darrell McCall on there computer and could send it to me. The song is called "Dreams of a Dreamer". It has a great Steel Guitar intro and I believe a turnaround in there too. I would love to have it so Graham(Rebel) can put it on the sound clip and Tab site.
Thanks in advance.
Ricky<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 05 January 2001 at 12:48 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

I met Darrell in San Marcos a couple of years ago. Great singer, nice man. I agree with the previous posters: He'd be RH Negastive to their Type O (ordinary)

------------------
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Rick, I don't know how to put it on the computer, but send me your snail add and I'll send it to you on a cassette.

------------------
Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Darrell says,"country music nowdays is something he thumbs through on his radio looking for Country Music".
So I would not be surprised if he would decline the offer due to being a "Real Country Singer".
He is,in my opinion, one of THE best.
Kenny
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

1325 E. Logan St.
Round Rock, Texas
Thanks CC I appreciate it a bunch.
Ricky
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I would like a copy of the whole album if anyone wants to do it. I think it's called Lily Dale or Dreams of a dreamer. I had the album once and loaned it to a student of mine and he skipped town with it (along with many others)

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

FIONA TOMANY

Post by FIONA TOMANY »

As luck would have it I have it on the Bear Family Records I can sent it as an Mp3 file im looking for it at the moment. I also have Gene Watson's version as well if your interested.
could take ages to download.
I would have though Daral had been a member of the Opry for a long time. When is he appearing on the Opry and I willbe sure to tune it its now avaible on the internet.

is
FIONA TOMANY

Post by FIONA TOMANY »

Have any of you tuned into www.twangcast.com
or www.countrygoldradio.com
as both of these internet stations play the real thing I have even heard a Jimmy Day instramental on Country Gold Radio
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Thanks for the offer, Fiona. If that album is the Bear set, I'll just go ahead and buy the set. I want to make sure the artist gets his share.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

Darrel is too country, and so am I.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I agree he'd make an excellent Opry cast member. He's a fine singer & musician. Also no one's mentioned it here yet but his brother Dennis is on the Opry every week as one of the Carol Lee singers. He's the one to the left as you're looking at the stage.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 08 January 2001 at 03:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
andy sainio

Post by andy sainio »

Hi guys!
I just wanted you all to know that Darrell McCall sang "happy birthday dear Andy" for me on the stage of the Nashville Nightlife Theater on my 50th birthday in November 1997! Not bad for a Finn,uh?

Best wishes,Andy.