The Flying Burrito Brothers

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

clive swindell

The Flying Burrito Brothers

Post by clive swindell »

Can anyone help please.

I am trying to follow the Gram Parsons/Chris Hillman story through and would like to buy a Burrito Brothers CD. Trouble is, there are so many listed. Originally, Pete Kleinow played steel and then Al Perkins and then Kleinow came back.

Can anyone recommend the best CD to buy as regards the steel content?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Clive -
There's a 2-CD anthology that came out last year that contains the Burrito's first three albums (all of them - at least with Gram Parsons) plus various and sundry extra songs.
Their first record was their best, but there is quite a bit of steel throughout the second and third. Gram's solo records are great, too. Basically - he hired parts of Elvis Presley's band and founded what became known as Emmylou Harris' "Hot Band".

rob

Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

The first three albums are:
1. The Gilded Palace Of Sin (1969)
With Parsons, Hillman, Chris Ethridge, Sneaky Pete and various drummers.
2. Burrito Deluxe (1970)
With Parsons, Hillman, Sneaky Pete, Michael Clarke and Bernie Leadon.
3. The Flying Burrito Brothers (1971)
With Hillman, Sneaky Pete, Michael Clarke, Bernie Leadon and Gram replaced by Rick Roberts.. still a great band at this point.

And that is basically the end of the relationship between Hillman and Parsons, a short relationship by some standards, but quite fruitful.
Their first project together was of course the Byrds album 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo'from 1968, which is a great album, with Red Rhodes, Jay Dee Maness, John Hartford, Lloyd Green and Clarence White among the sidemen. The CD version has rehearsal tracks and outakes and is wonderful.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be
marley hay

Post by marley hay »

"last of the Red Hot Burritos'Is great.Not all country,but some wonderful tunes on it.
Matt Hutchinson

Post by Matt Hutchinson »

Hi Clive.
There's a single cd in the UK with Gilded Palace.... and Burrito Deluxe on it. You can get it from Amazon for about £7.99 or most decent shops seem to stock it.

Matt
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

The 2-CD set that was mentoined above is "Hot Burritos 1969-1972". It came out on A&M records last year, and has ALL of the material recorded by the Burritos with Gram (first two albums, most of the third, and choice cuts of the rest of the material). It costs around $20-$25, but it is all digitally remastered, and well worth the price.

Joe
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

"Hot Burritos 1969-1972" is probably your best bet, the third album is really good but only came out in a limited CD run some years ago.
Either way, you can buy the firs two together. There is talk on a 1969 live CD in the works, but that's an upcoming Sierra Records project, so hopefully that will go through.
Gilded Palace is one of my fave albums, I used to hide it from my friends in my punk rock days!
Jeff Schaffer

Post by Jeff Schaffer »

Gilded Palace is a must. My personal favorite is the third album. It is so well crafted as to be virtually perfect. The creativity and variety of P.K's playing is remarkable. I never tire of the third. It has a permanent place in my 6 cd car changer. Burrito Deluxe is not as refined to my ears but does have some good songs as well. The compilations mentioned above are a good way to go. You might take a look at www.sierra-records.com
Joel Glassman

Post by Joel Glassman »

For Gram's music: I'd look for "The International Submarine Band" reissue, (early and a little rough, but good) check out the Byrds box set from a library for "Sweethearts of the Rodeo" era recordings with them, also get an Anthology of the Burritos called "Farther Along" and the 2 lps on a CD collection of "GP" and "Grievous Angel". IMO Those 3 CDs compile most of his best music. --Joel<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joel Glassman on 05 December 2000 at 03:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

The International Submarine Band CD is a great one, lots of Merle Haggard, buck Owens, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis (country style Lewis) influence on that set.
Besides, Glen Campbell beefs up the session on rhythm guitar, Earl Ball on piano, Jay Dee Maness on steel guitar and Joe Osborn and future Burrito Chris Ethridge on bass, plus the regular band.

There's a new book on GP coming out, the writer Jason Walker is from Sydney, Australia and is currently in the US finishing it off. It should be good.

Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I must disagree....I though the ISB album was terrible. Take a listen to "Do you Know How It Feels To Be Lonesome" on that album....then listen to how the Burritos did it. No comparison.

The best ISB song, IMO, was "Truck Driving Man, which was only available as a B-side (not on the LP). It is currently available on the GP import "Warm Evenings, Pale Mornings, Bottled Blues".

I believe the original poster's intent was to find the best steel on a GP-related album. For that, I would have to go with the Byrds' "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo". After that, definitely the live set he did with Neil Flanz in 1973, which is now available on CD from Rhino Records.

Joe

Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

And the name of the live set with Neil Flanz? I think it came up on a thread a little while back, but I've forgotten.
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Clive, that album is entitled, "Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels Live". One of my favorites as well. Was recorded in front of a radio studio audience, with Emmylou on harmony vocals and Neil Flanz on steel. Hot and at the same time, beautiful, steel playing. You can't miss with this album. I also highly recommend as "must haves":

1. The Byrds Box set which contains the original Sweethearts of the Rodeo recordings with the steel of Jay Dee Manness and Lloyd Green right out in front and with Gram dominating on vocals;

2. The Gram Parsons CD containing his two solo albums "GP" and "Greivous Angel". Al Perkins and Buddy Emmons do some great steel stuff and Bernie Leadon and James Burton do some great dobro and steel stuff. Emmylou is on both albums, Linda Ronstadt and Herb Pederson are on the Greivous album doing vocals. Byron Berline on fiddle...;

3. And get that 3 album, 2 cd compilation mentioned already containing the Guilded Palace of Sin, Burrito Deluxe and the 3rd Flying Burrito Bros. album.

You can't miss with any of the stuff above.
Tom Moorman

Post by Tom Moorman »

My favorite, of many, is 'Farther Along, The Best of The Flying Burrito Brothers.' The Guilded Palace of Sin LP has a Sneaky Pete creation called Beat the Heat. Fine stuff.
clive swindell

Post by clive swindell »

Thanks everyone for your help. I have ordered the Burritos 'Anthology 1969 -1972' and the 'Live 1973' album of Parsons and the Fallen Angels.

I managed to get a Desert Rose Band CD recently featuring Hillman with Jay Dee Manness on steel which is well worth getting.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Don't forget the great Bakersfield Bound CD, which is by Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson, bascially a couple of ex-Bluegrassers paying homage to the honky tonk music that turned them onto electric country.
Great sound on the CD, and Jay Dee on steel.
Go to the Forum's Online Catalog...it's a must buy.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

My favorite on the 'Anthology' set is 'Here Tonight', which has Gene Clark Singing. What a great song. This was an outtake that was only available on the Two-record ablbum 'Close up the Honky Tonks' from 1974.

------------------
Regards, Craig
clive swindell

Post by clive swindell »

Just one further point.

I can see how the Eagles came along after Parsons/Hillman, then presumably Dire Straits were next but who is carrying the torch for this kind of music today?
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I don't see a connection between Eagles and Dire Straits.

As for who carries the torch today, it's all of Nashville. A debt to the Burritos and the Eagles can be heard in most of what is played on country radio today.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

I personally think that a lot of the alterna-country groups have taken on the shaky charm of Parsons, which is great, I like that kind of vibe.
Uncle Tupelo had it in a big way, while Gram's first album with the International Submarine Band pretty much invented it.

On the other hand, I honestly feel that Chris Hillman's efforts, especially with the Desert Rose Band, go mainly unnoticed by the Alterna scene, while the country mainstream really didn't pick up on them as much as a hit group should have.
And let's face it, for a little while there they were a serious chart group.
People talk about the effect that Dwight had in the late 1980s, but I always felt that the DRB never really got their due.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I saw Chris and Herb Pedersen this summer in NY for the first time. They were great and they still have their voices. I was really impressed with Pedersen's high harmonies. They did a broad spectrum of songs from the Burritos Bros. to their more Bluegrass Stuff of Today.

------------------
Regards, Craig
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I can't really say who would be carrying the torch right now for the kind of music Gram Parsons was doing in the '70s.....but I must add that anyone who is a Burrito Brothers fan should give Mike Nesmith's music a try. Don't let the fact that he was a Monkee persuade you in the other direction. His brand of country-rock was many steps ahead of Gram in some respoects (and his songwriting WAY better, IMO). Had Nesmith not been in the Monkees, he most likely would have beaten Gram in the race for the first country-rock album ("Sweetheart" came out in 1968....Nesmith's "Magnetic South" came out in 1970).

Try Nesmith's "Magnetic South", "Loose Salute" or "Nevada Fighter". All feature Red Rhodes on steel, as well as Linda Ronstadt's ex-drummer Johnny Ware. Or just pick up one of the best-of's available.

Joe