Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

bump up

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

I hate to put a damper on the gala but I read an article in the Tennessean yesterday that Fisher has told the old timers to make themselves less available in the future for more room for the new comers or guests.Plus...now it seems that they have set an age limit to distinguish new comers from old timers.Anyone under 45 yrs of age is considered a newcomer.This just adds to the list of ignorant statements to come out of the mouth of Pete Fisher. Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Can anyone verify this ?
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

I just did.The Tennessean Newspaper Friday,Oct.13 staff writer Peter Cooper.Pete Fisher said they are projecting a 78% increase in the participation of contemporary members since the beginning of 1998 through the end of 2000.Fisher,who defined "contemporary" as members 45 and younger.
Some older members are complaining of disadvantageous time slots and of being told to "schedule yourself out" for weekend shows more often.
This is right out of the paper word for word.What! Am I not a reliable source for the latest news?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

When I was a kid, the Opry was the best County Music you could find. That's what it should be now! Yes, there are some of the old stars who can't cut it anymore, and they should bow out gracefully. There are also some new ones who can't cut it either, and they should go too. If the Opry can't supply the best of "something", it won't last in today's world. Times are 'a changin'.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Donny,
That sounds like positive thinking! We sure want the opry to continue having birthday celebrations! Theresa
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

One good thing about implementing this process of elimination is that Porter Wagoner will be gone. Although I respect his impact and talent(?) as a musical politician. He sounds like a used car salesman and he always talks to you with a "mouthful of sugar," sounds a phony as a $3 bill. Never has been able to sing on pitch. Looks like Renfrow Valley and Shreveport might be able to come by some good musicians pretty soon. Or maybe Branson might be a consideration. If Branson could get a tv show and/or a live "opry style" show on a 50,000 watt clear channel station, they could really hurt Nashville.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Has anyone bothered to poll the attending audience to find out what they came to see? Kenny:as far as Nashville being hurt by Branson,Renfro Valley and other places. Nashville has hurt itself.There is no reason to travel to Nashville with the addition of all the newer artist on the OPry.Once the Opry loses it's historic value, it's legendary performers, it may as well sell it self as a music theatre as does all the newer venues. Does the staff think that the generation that is buying the newer music will travel to Nashville to the OPRY? All one has to do is wait for them to come to your area.Why get ripped off by the people who ripped off Country Music? Nice to see Billy Johnson picking with Porter last night.

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

It's like Kenny...and the beat goes on...
Huey Moore

Post by Huey Moore »

To Sum Up Last Nites Opry"That just about does it dont it".

------------------
Sam

Les Green

Post by Les Green »

Yup! That just about does it.....
Anyone notice how much camera time Travis Tritt's steel player got? About 3 seconds at the end of their first song. But the keyboards and lead got several each, very long ones. Any comments??
Teresa White

Post by Teresa White »

I wasn't at the Opry last night because of working on the Bluebird show for Turner South, but I understand from a "very reliable source" that the management at the Opry treated the staff band with less than respect and appreciation. They gave them guest laminents that wouldn't give them access to all the celebrations going on back in studio A, while allowing guest bands in.
They also weren't allowed to play on any spots that were going to be aired on the CBS 75th anniversary show which will air around Thanksgiving. From what we understand, they are bringing in a totally different band for the anniversary show. The Opry family is no more. In my opinion, it seems that once again, a great institution now has an uncertain future due to the large corporates. I have always welcomed change for the better including new artist and fresh ideas but it seems the new Opry regime has no social skills or appreciation for anyone other than artists of the day. They have taken a few good ideas and completely shoved them into overkill.
Bob Whitaker, we miss your thoughtfulness, and geniune love for the Opry and its staff.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Isn't the new modern Country folk thoughtful and considerate. Image

------------------
CJC

bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Change for the better is in the eye of the beholder. Just like some may argue that the changes we see in country music are good, others may say the changes at the Opry are also good. You can't have your cake and eat it too.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 15 October 2000 at 05:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Huey Moore

Post by Huey Moore »

Teresa I couldnt have said it any better.

------------------
Sam

Theresa Galbraith

Joe,
The new country folks have nothing to do with the management!
Please don't blame the new country!
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I guess your right Theresa,I guess it's the fault of the people who just get too old.Old isn't cool in Country Music anymore.

------------------
CJC

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 17 October 2000 at 05:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

What Joe said! Image
Theresa Galbraith

Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 17 October 2000 at 06:17 AM.]</p></FONT>