Electric Guitars

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

My dad sold a Les Paul before we moved to Nashville. Not knowing the value,anyway someone got a great guitar for alot less money! But if we'd only known then, what the guitar would be worth today! Wow! Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 04 October 2000 at 06:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Burton

Post by Dave Burton »

My main axe is a 79 Fender Strat.Red with maple neck.My other love is a 75 Guild X500,with birdseye maple sides and back,blonde in color, what a tone.
erik

Post by erik »

Rick,
I don't know anything about ser. #s, i was just curious because i know those Deluxes are not too common. I think that used to be Dicky Betts main guitar. Now he just uses a Standard.
Dennis Wood

Post by Dennis Wood »

1979 Les Paul Standard thru a Fender "The Twin" amp. Also play a Tele and Strat now and then when the need arises. I really think a person needs a minimum of 4 guitars..

Sierra Crown U-12/Nash 400<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dennis Wood on 28 September 2000 at 02:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
marley hay

Post by marley hay »

Tommy,"I'd be afraid to scratch one of those suckers"It always amazed me Gretsch built those incredibly beautiful guitars,then in order not to scratch them they put 12 snaps on the back,and a big plastic pad over the entire back of the guitar.I'd rather have the scratches!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Marley, my 61 Gretsch Chet Atkins did not have a pad on the back and had real F holes. The pad came later with the painted F holes.
Tommy Mark

Post by Tommy Mark »

Marley I thought they were pillows......

------------------
marley hay

Post by marley hay »

Well guys,my 65 had the pad.There is a new Gretsch that is about 3/4 the size of a Country Gentleman,that is really a beautiful guitar.Looks just like a Gentleman, don't know what it's called,but they sure make a beautiful guitar. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by marley hay on 03 October 2000 at 06:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Garry Pugh

Post by Garry Pugh »

I have a 50's Tele, reissue, which is one of the new Fender products made in Mexico and it is outstanding. I also have a Fender B-bender and a hot rodded American Standard Tele. The 50's, in terms of twang, smokes them both.

I also use a Strat Plus. I like these guitars because of three gold lace sensors pick-ups.

I'm thinking about a '59 RI Strat to set-up up for slide.

If I was a big star, like some of you guys, I'd have one of the cool road case with about 10 guitars in it and a guy standing there handing me a different one every other song or so! Image)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Garry Pugh on 04 October 2000 at 06:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I've got a G&L ASAT and a Japanese-made '57 style Tele both with B-benders by Joe Glaser; Joe makes by far the smoothest pull-string AND they have great sustain!
I've also got a lovely '67 blonde Tele with rosewood that Joe (bless him) WOULDN'T put a bender on due to the guitar's vintage status - if anyone wants it, it's $2500.00; it could help pay for my new Legrande III (due next Monday!!!!).
I've got a couple of Martins, but my pride and joy is my Olson SJ (like James Taylor's);it's a GREAT finger-style instrument...
I just sold (at auction in the UK) my old '58 Gibson Super 400 CES; I got it new in '60 and Albert Lee had it for a couple of years around the mid-60s. He eventually sold it back to me...a wonderful instrument, but I never used it, so I converted it to currency (with SLIGHT pangs of regret...)
Tyler Baum

Post by Tyler Baum »

Call me a fool, but I like the 100 pound Peavey T-60.
Robert

Post by Robert »

I was wondering when I would see somebody talk about their G&L - the ASAT Classic is a great-sounding EASY guitar for all kinds of music, but is still not a Tele: thicker, for sure, and darker, too, but definitely have a good feel. Why choose, though?

Robert
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Hi Robert
I LOVE my G&L - it's beautifully made (I have one of the top of the line Asats with a birdseye maple neck and double-edgebound sunburst body) and I got it for a real low price at a New Jersey 'vintage' show a couple of years back. It's definitely NOT got that Tele sound but it's close - and, with it's great neck pick-up, a lot more versatile.
The Glaser B-bender completes a very satisfactory package!
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I have a squire strat not played much anymore, but a nice guitar anyway.
Main axes:
G&L ASAT. Cuts thru when the band is 4 or 5 pieces. Plays well. I would never let it go.
Custom Strat-a powered guitar from the 70's
that is the smoothest playing guitar I can recall. It has more body and is fuller than the asat. It sounds much better when doing a three pc thing.
Les Paul goldtop-70's vintage. Oh yes, gave that to my son as a wedding present a couple of years ago. The wistful look he gave the guitar as he moved out, having used it as his main ax for a few years, tore ol' pops heart. Go on to your future my son and take that part of me with you.

1973 Musiconics Guitorgan. Real organ guts inside a Gretch style semi-hollow body guitar. With a leslie cabnet, it's a Hammond B3 and guitar together all at once. Totally amazing at the time. So was the price. Now, totally obsolete. Can we say midi?

Fortunately the question is not what we would still like to have. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ken Lang on 04 October 2000 at 08:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

Telecaster!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Yeah - if Leo had known that his first electric would, some 50 years later, be so many people's favorites for so many practical reasons (not to mention sentimental ones) he may have thrown up his hands in disgust: "Why bother trying to improve on THIS?! Nobody will appreciate it, anyway!" - and gone on to invent the wide-slice toaster or something - thankfully, he didn't, and we got so much more from him, including G&Ls . . . what a life of well-applied gifts.

Robert
RJP

Post by RJP »

See Below. The Strat is a '62 Reissue.

------------------
Ron Plichta

MSA Classic S-10
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Paul Reed Smith CE24
Rivera R100

Mike Bieber

Post by Mike Bieber »

Personally, I'm fascinated by guitar and amp combinations. Ferinstance, my 1959 Les Paul Junior (mahogany w/ p-90 pickups) through a '72 50-watt Marshall is to-die-for Gibson/Marshall tone. And how about Telecasters through a Vox AC-30? That's gotta be one of the most exquisite, "chimey" guitar tones ever. I just get hypnotized playing that combination. My fave guitar is the Junior, followed by a '73 Tele and a '68 Gretsch Tennessean
Iain

Post by Iain »

I've a Tele with a P/W bender, really just for the bender - I prefer the sound of my Tokai Strat, and miss that front p/up of a Strat roundness.
Teles can sound so brittle, even rolling off tone, but it was hard (impossible) to get an affordable bender equipped other guitar, and I was told - by a P/W approved luthier - it'd be real difficult/expensive to fit a bender to my Strat
Life's hard, huh?
Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

G&L ASAT Classic w/Joe Barden&wilkinson Tele-bridge
Tokai Stratocaster (20 years)
Gibson SG firebrand (20 years)
Gibson Tone*Feel Acoustic

Totally different sound/feel from each guitar.

Bengt
gary darr

Post by gary darr »

Erik I would not sweat the black on black, If the tone and the action is there and sounds like the price is there I would go for it. You can allways install creme pickup covers later. I sure wish I had my LP "74"black custom back they dont make em like they used to Image Image

------------------
sho-bud,session 500,american standard strat,shecter tele,peavy classic 50
gary darr

Post by gary darr »

Erik I would not sweat the black on black, If the tone and the action is there and sounds like the price is there I would go for it. You can allways install creme pickup covers later. I sure wish I had my LP "74"black custom back they dont make em like they used to Image Image

------------------
gary darr

Post by gary darr »

Dont sweat the Black on Black if the tone and action is there and sounds like the price is I would go for it.Can allways change the covers out.Wish I still had my "74"LP black custom,they dont make em like they used to.

------------------
gary darr

Post by gary darr »

Sorry about the repeated reply's,didnt realize they had ran into the second page. Image

------------------
erik

Post by erik »

Thanks Gary, i wasn't sure if p90/p100 pick-up covers could be seperated from the assembly. I did find those covers for sale online. I haven't been back to that store in a few weeks. Might go Saturday to see if that guitar is still there.

You can delete any post on the forum by clicking the pencil above the post and while in edit mode clicking delete then submit. <font size=-1>(You can only edit or delete a post that originated from you.)</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by erik on 12 October 2000 at 03:06 AM.]</p></FONT>