George Straits Comment.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Joe Casey

George Straits Comment.

Post by Joe Casey »

I wondered if I had heard what I heard until I read it in our entertaiment section of the News paper. George stated he recorded "Murder on Music row as a Joke" Saying he didn't know how serious the song was written. Alan Jackson had the class to thank the writers and both get the award.Well George I guess you wouldn't want to stand up now when things are the way they are and admit to being Country,Might hurt sales....I rather doubt that although I didn't like the song he did on the show, the man puts out great music.And has more hits then any artist in the business..I just wish he would have let someone do the song that took it serious.

------------------
CJC

Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

A few of us that were watching the awards did hear Georges comment and were appalled.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

File under "Not Biting the Hand that Feeds You".

(I wonder if his label read him the riot act before going on the show?)
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Jim,I agree with your last statement it didn't seem like he was comfortable saying it.In any case Alan Jackson had the class to honor Larry for the song. I might add I was more hurt by the statement than offended.It's not the first bailout by an artist being careful to not be stereotyped.Only thing what is the first thing one thinks of with George Strait? Good Country music.Sounds like his label fearing the loss of airplay for such a renegade act told him to somehow make a disclaimer...

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Looks like the P.P.Syndrome.(Paycheck over Principle) Image
Theresa Galbraith

I think everyone works for a living, we all want to make the most money as possible. I don't think principle enters into it.
Regardless, if you like the comment George made, "Murder" never made it to #1.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

We all like to eat. However, there have been some, although admiditly few, that have stood up for principal.

The song never made it to #1 because it was never really promoted and many of the "country" stations refused to play it.

Besides, the David Frizzel cut is much better.

As far as George Strait, there was a comment by a reviewer one time that George has an "every other album" syndrome and went on to say that it seemed like he would put out a great album and then the next one would be mediocre (as far as song material) and then the next one would be great again. His current album must be in the "mediocre" category as I haven't heard anything that's been played on radio of his that would make want to rush out and buy his CD.
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Sorry Theresa, I don't agree.Thats like saying music has never been used to make political statements and that song was written to make a statement,not just for your dancing pleasure. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 07 October 2000 at 08:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Theresa...please, when you comment about "greed" and "lack of principles", I would appreciate it if you didn't put ALL of us into that category!
ajm

Post by ajm »

It's quite possible that George meant something different than what he said, and he needed to come up with something off the cuff because he didn't expect to win, and it came out wrong or was mis-interpreted by the vast majority.

However, it still doesn't ring right with me, and a few others as well.

George and Alan have been doing this for years, have sold zillions of records and concert tickets, and had several product endorsement deals. I don't know all of the financial stuff involved in show business as far as where the money goes, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they could both quit right now and live an upper-upper middle class comfortable lifestyle for the next hundred years or so. (Unless their manager has been Don King.) They've both got a heck of a lot more than 99.999% of their fans. There's nothing wrong with wanting more money, or collecting money that you're entitled to. But IMHO, they both definetly have "enough" money. They therefore have the luxury to make choices based upon what they believe is right, or what they truly want to do, without having to worry about where their next meal is coming from.

Just to make it clear, I don't know either of them personally, and I only know what I read about them here and there. A lot of my feelings about them are based upon just that: gut feelings and intangible factors. (And of course whether I like their music or not.)

Alan Jackson seems like he is making an attempt to stand up for what he thinks is country music and the fans. I base this not on what he says but on on his actions. He not only recorded this controversial song and stood up for it, he also sang "Choices" last year as a statement to the industry.

George Strait sings a song putting down blasting rock guitars, yet had the same on his song "Heartland" a few years ago. (By the way, I do like blasting rock guitars as well as Tele twang.) He seemed like (to most of us) he didn't want to take any credit for "Murder" or be associated with it. IMHO his comment gets filed in the same basket as another comment made by someone famous a few years ago, something about "trying it but not inhaling". I didn't believe that one either.

Missy James

Post by Missy James »

DISCLAIMER: Although I do like some of his music, I am not a George Strait fan.

Let me play devil's advocate here....

I didn't hear George say that he didn't like or agree with the song. I only heard him say that it was originally cut for the album as a joke. I did not take this to mean that he thought the song was a joke, only that it was probably not cut WITH THE INTENTION TO MAKE A SERIOUS STATEMENT. Little did they know the impact that those lyrics would have on the die-hard country music fans....... Image Image

------------------
I don't drink or lie, but I swear I steel!!
Theresa Galbraith

I know songs have been written for political statements. I'm just saying "Murder" didn't touch the audience like "I hope you Dance"! The song was about hope,love,vision for the future,having wonder and reflection on the past of course! Dance! Keeping an open mind!
Jack,
As far as George goes: I love his singing first and he's the most traditional artist out to date! Reviews are a dime a dozen, he has steel for the most part all over his recordings! Theresa

John Steele

Post by John Steele »

While fans of traditional country are all wound up about this song, it doesn't mean much to the majority of listeners, unfortunately.
Who wrote "Bring back Buck" ? Did he/she get an award for it ? Did it change the direction of country music ? The message is much the same. I believe it's now relegated to the shelf.
I wonder if the guy that wrote "Bring back Buck" ever had the experience of listening to the Buckeroos play The Macarena at the Ranch.
I personally like the song, and the message. But I don't think it's going to accomplish diddly-squat.
-John
Theresa Galbraith

Donny,
All I said was, I think everyone works for a living, we all want to make the most money as possible. So what does that have to do with "greed"? What's your problem?
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

As I stated before ,this was ole Georges only CMA award this year and he didn't walk up backwards to accept it.The fact it was nominated at all , being a true Country Song with a message tells of hope in some peoples voting. Maybe the CMA will put the Country back into it's name.

------------------
CJC

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

No, he didn't walk up backwards to accept it. He just accepted it backwards.
Theresa Galbraith

Jim,
He said, "Thank You"!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Theresa,

There are people who just want to make money, and there are people who just want to make good music.

Contrary to what you might think, the two don't always go together. Not everyone in this world is ruled by the "Almighty Dollar".
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

I have to agree with Missy James. I think it was put on the CD for his hard core country fans that bought it, never thinking it would get any air time at all and was truly suprised how serious many fans took it.
And Joe, Conway had 59 # 1's, George only has 47. And I think Barf Gooks might have even more.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I know Conway had a lot of #1's but 59,where did you verify that figure?

------------------
CJC

Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Where can one find the lyrics to that song? I don't know what it says....
Theresa Galbraith

Joe,
We agree. I question Conway's #1's.
Donny,
Do you think artist love what they do? It's a costly expedition. It's very expensive to become an artist. I'd venture to say, if you don't love what you're doing you would quit. Find another job!
I love selling fragrance at a department store. If I didn't I couldn't go to work.
And just because someone wants to make more money the greed factor always comes to mind for some people.
I guess what I'm saying is, more power to people that try to strive for new avenues and want to grow no matter what they're doing for a living. Or in this case if it's country or not! Theresa <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 07 October 2000 at 09:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Missy James

Post by Missy James »

Here ya go, Bill.
http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Bluegrass/3106/georgestrait/gs43.txt

------------------
I don't drink or lie, but I swear I steel!!
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

I've heard that,producer,Tony Brown thought it was a "joke",also. Wonder if he "coaxed" George into saying what he said.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>