Do You Like the Music Played on Country Radio?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Bob Brocius

Post by Bob Brocius »

Right on Neil. My group is doing the song. It took me over an hour to find all the licks but I loved it so much, when the bass player said he wanted to sing it, I stayed at the steel until I had figured out all of Franklin's work. Terrific song. Bob
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Blues man:It may not have made it on the radio,but the album sold enough that a colored plaque of such will hang on someones wall. And I may have almost worn out the CD.

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Bob & Joe,
I have it in my cd player! I love it! Theresa
Blane Sanders

Post by Blane Sanders »

The way I have it figuered, the song that sits on the biggest stack of $$$$$$$, makes it to the top. How else would some of these "CRAPPY SONGS" make it to the top of the charts when other good songs go nowhere? I'm not so closed minded as to think that music should'nt progress, but a line should to be drawn somewhere in the Country radio market, some of this stuff just belongs on "Rock radio", or "Pop Radio", It's PLAIN & SIMPLE! When I tune in to a Rock station, I don't here any Country songs,the Rockers wouldn't put up with it! So why do I get "Rock & Pop' shoved down my throat on the FM Country stations? I remember hillbilly music, before the tree trunk split. one branch became "Country", & the other "Bluegrass". When I buy a Bluegrass CD, or go to a Bluegrass festival, or listen to a bluegrass radio show, I know what I'm gonna hear! It's too bad the same can'nt be said for today's "Country music". Maybe bigger is not always better!!!!! Thanks for allowing me to unload. Just M.H.O. Image
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Well said Blane.I feel exatly the same way. Image Image ImageRay
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Not to prolong the agony here too much longer but...

Last night I went to dinner at one of those "Lone Star" chain restaurants (Texas road house theme) and I heard more great country music in one hour than I've heard in one year of Chicagoland country music - and without the annoying DJ chatter!

Everything from Ray Price on "Heartaches By The Number" through to Alan Jackson with nary a hint of Garth, Faith or one-shot hat acts!

I salute their music director and I'll be back.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Count me in as a guy that likes the new stuff.

Also the musicianship is phenomenal.

Bob

Let me add that I don't make a big distinction between forms of music. There seems to be equal amounts of crap in all of them. I REALLY don't understand how people can make such a strong and personal identification with a particular genre or sub genre of whatever form of music. This "you for it or aginst it" thing seems absolutly pointless.

It must feel good to be in a group of people that can all pat each other on the back and agree to hate something. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 25 September 2000 at 10:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
VERNON PRIDDY

Post by VERNON PRIDDY »

I Don't Even Turn It On! Sonny.
erik

Post by erik »

Bob,
I don't think anyone would argue against the quality of musicianship in today's music. Most people here are concerned about the *style* and the lack of memorable hooks and melodies. It's the foundation of a lasting hit song. Look at the pop charts - still, the songs that go through your head over and over again are the ones with the simple melodies. As an example; I'll Never Let You Down by Third Eye Blind.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Blane...you made some very good points. But...problem is, they are "selling" the new country music primarily to young people, and the young people just never did care for true country music. Rather, they want something that is "on the fringes".

It was true 40 years ago, and it's still true today!
Theresa Galbraith

erik,
I remember "Still" because I grew up listening to it. Back then, I don't think as many songs were recorded. Anyway, what's memorable to one may not be to another.
Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 25 September 2000 at 06:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Blane,

Your post is not only poignant, but it also proves that people who don't like country music do NOT want it on their stations, but want YOU and I to put up with it on ours. In other words, "I will NOT listen to any of yours, but you are being narrow minded, and a bad person if you don't listen to mine."

Nothing new about this. Been going on forever.

God bless you,

carl
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

<SMALL>Do You Like the Music Played on Country Radio?</SMALL>
Almost nearly, but not quite hardly...
Theresa Galbraith

Steve,
Just spit it out!
BTW, Did you get the Franklin yet?
Theresa
erik

Post by erik »

Theresa,
I think we are on two different wave lengths. I don't understand your reference to "Still", I was merely using the word in the context of a sentence.

I will disagree about your notion of mmemorable songs in the case of the majority. It is the hook and the simple melody that reigns supreme. Always has, always will.
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

"Almost nearly, but not quite hardly" -- Ha! One of my most fav-o-rite expressions learned to me by an older gentleman near Townsend, TN who had a remarkable gift for making the most delicious homemade 'peach brandy'.

Yes, Theresa, I picked up the Franklin this afternoon. I had been tracking it like a hawk through UPS. It's funny, I was feeling a little 'puny' this morning and I thought it best to stay home today and rest. Isn't that a coincidence.

I was planning on e-mailing you later after I've had some more time in my 'sick bed'.

Oh - and what I meant by my initial comment is that while I can appreciate a fair amount of stuff played on country radio these days, it's usually a snippet here or a short break there that gets my attention. Most of the time, though, I just can't listen to it. It's fine for what it is, but like I said, most of the time I just cain't take it!
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

What a bunch of jibberish.
You don't have to like what is being played or what was played. Why you don't have to like music at all, country or not.

This is getting to be like a bunch of hillbilly's sitting on the front porch with nothing else to do, but gossip. And when they run out of gossip, they start the same thing all over again. Kindda like the "Hatfields & McCoy" feuds of the past.

Their are some that will never change their mind, or better put, will never admit to change whether they like it or not.

I actually know some that live one way, listen one way or the other and yet talk a completely different story from behind their computer in the safety of their home.

Let's get it together and play music, no matter what John Doe wants to call it. We are a select few that are chosen to play this galdarned instrument, so let's show the public that we are actually civilized.

Why some may read this forum just for the heck of it, and think, what a bunch of idiots?

Bill Ferguson

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bill, I don't know how to explain this, but
<SMALL>so let's show the public that we are...</SMALL>
most of "the public" could care less about us or our instrument. Image
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

HA HA HA Image Image

------------------
BJ Bailey

Theresa Galbraith

Bill good points!
It's always something, if it isn't this thread they'll start another one and repeat the same things.
Theresa
BTW, steel is accepted by the public today more than ever!
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

It's accepted by the "Younger buying targeted Public" However I don't think anyone who is truly loyal to traditional "country Music has grown to accept it yet. The newer stuff should be recorded on time lasped CD's, Made too last longer than some songs and some of the Artist stay popular.I don't hear any future classics songs being recorded.If I am wrong please name them. Marty Martels editorial from Ed Bensons of the CMA says it better than I have tried too. Image

------------------
CJC

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 02 October 2000 at 04:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Theresa Galbraith

Joe,
Go buy George Jones and Alan Jackson and any greatest hit's cd's and you'll hear classic recordings! Theresa
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Theresa, I think Joe means the new artist ever having a classic.He don't think they will be around long enough,or the new written songs ever becoming a classic.That's the way I read what he said.Joe tell me if I'm out in left field again.. Image Image ImageRay

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

Theresa you stand no dought, for the majority of the radio listoning crowd,And the CD and cassette buying crowd.
But you are battle against a crowd that refussed to liston,or buy what is being placed on the play sheet of radio and on the market today.
I have spent hundreds of dollers on tapes and cd's but they were of my choice also.
I do'nt think it's right to say,that if today REAL COUNTRY MUSIC was premoted ,that it would not turn over a profit for someone?
How much better of quality can you get than to have Gene Watson sing?
And by the way,there's no shame in being called hillbilly?
At leist back when we were called such ,you could tell what kind of music was being played?
My neighbors next door are BLACK ,and Saturday night they were haveing a out door cook out.
I went outside to feed my dog,and could hear their radio on.
As I liston for a moment ,It sound as tho they were listoning to Reba Mcantire.
What else's can be said.
For sure it was not a So called country station that they were listoning to? Image Image
Darale Singaltary, Brad Pasisely are two that come to my mine that show a promise of keeping real country alive.
I know that there are other's but ,far and few in between.

------------------
BJ Bailey

Les Green

Post by Les Green »

No!