Do You Like the Music Played on Country Radio?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Thank you Tim,nicely said. Image Image ImageRay

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Thanks Ray. Like I said before I think the "gripe" that people SHOULD have is the fact that there is a format of music that is being mareketed as "Country."

I like alot of the "so called country" BUT I don't get upset with it.... because I know the difference between this music and real Country.

Check out LeeAnn Womack, Sara Evans new single, Andy Griggs, or LoneStar...

These artists have great songs, pickers, and vocal quality. Though it is not neccesarily 'Country" it is quality of a different type that I enjoy.

KEY WORD: You must know the difference between the two.

(Unless you just need something to complain about then continue) :-)

Tim
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Tim,
Yes, it's not what the older generation call Traditional Country anymore.
I'm glad you know the quality and musicianship in each song recorded today it's done better than ever.
We need to remember there's a steel majority that choose's to remain silent when it comes to voiceing opinion's on this forum.
Many young players feel they are going to get slammed because they are in this generation of new country.
Every young, new artist coming along knows the Traditionalist and would never say negatives out of respect. I just think they deserve the same respect, they are doing what they love too! Theresa
I understand some don't like it, but some do!
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

The thing is I like Traditional Music but there is alot of New Style Country I enjoy. I do not always go out and buy it but there are some tunes that challenge my playing in a way that traditional music does not much anymore.

ie:
Kenney Chesney "She's Got it All"
Shane Minor has one where he calls Paul by name.

There are too many to list but you get the idea. Now I do not call this music Country Really I just call it "New Stuff" or "Pop"

I am a die hard Traditionalist but as I said I treat this style like i would that of other music I listen to. Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones, Doobie, Steely Dan, etc.... It is just music.

------------------
Tim Harr

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 07 September 2000 at 09:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Theresa Galbraith

Tim,
Being diverse is where it's at! Knowing the difference. Theresa
Lynn Kasdorf

Post by Lynn Kasdorf »

NO! Here I am a steel player, and I can't manage to stand more than a song or two on the modern "country" stations. The stuff I hear is just so plastic and over produced. I don't even like a lot of the steel that I hear on modern ersatz country stations.

I have really wide taste in music- but man, it is hard to find any radio worth hearing these days. And it is not just my bias towards 50's and 60's country. As Duke Ellington said- "There are two kinds of music- good and bad".

Thank GOD for Eddie Stubbs and his show on WAMU in DC, and for KPIG radio (and their GREAT internet streaming).

------------------
"You call that thing a guitar?"
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Simply call it what it is.

My ONLY beef! It has been. Always will be.

Call it what it is! Some of it is good. Some of it is very good. Some of it is bad. Some of it is very bad.

I like some of it. I don't like some of it.

I LOVE PAUL FRANKLIN AND I LOVE PAUL FRANKLIN'S PLAYING, AS MY PRECIOUS SAVIOR IS MY WITNESS (even though I feel Paul thinks I don't). He is one of the greatest players to ever play a steel guitar in the whole world. And what he plays is incredibly beautiful. Incredibly talented and incredibly awesome. No one like him on earth.

But VERY little of what is being produced today is "Country".

To say "traditionalists" is a play on words to try and permit hanging on to something that was, and no longer is, so as NOT to lose the ones that love it. And get their "bucks" too.

Simply call it what it is. Produce all you want to. Sell all you want to. Play all of it you want to. Teach it all you want to. NO human on earth wants the steel to invade all musical genres and cultures more than I do.

Just don't call most of what is being recorded out of Nashville today something it clearly is NOT. It is Pop and/or Rock and Roll. It is NOT country.

Country is country and any thinking person Knows what country is. The rest is just a case of pure rhetoric! It has nothing to do with age or anything else. It is clearly a play on words.

Simply..........

Call it what it is! My ONLY beef!

carl
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Mine too Carl and you know it.. Image Image ImageRay

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Theresa Galbraith

It's to bad radio can't please everyone, it never has and never will. Just turn it off or change the channel or better yet put your 8 track or tape in! Steel is being heard regardless more today than-ever! Image
Theresa
P.S. Yes, It's today's Country Radio! It'll never go back to yesterday's!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 09 September 2000 at 08:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

For those of the belief that every steel picker has some sort of an obligation to love, defend, uplift, exalt and gush over every recording cranked out by Nashville, simply because it has a steel on it, a question: If a recording was made of a dentist's drill in operation and on this recording were the sounds of a steel guitar, would every steel picker be honor bound to rush out and buy a copy of this wondrous opus? Hmmmm???????

Mark Frederick

Too country????????
D Bristow

Post by D Bristow »

Ray,
I could stand todays country if they took the fuzz from the guitar. I have never got a sound that bad in my life and dont care what T has to say about it
Don
Dean Brown

Post by Dean Brown »

NO! I hardly ever hear any "music" on today's country radio.
willie waits

Post by willie waits »

Definitely NO!!
I might mention that KILT is now Houston's #1 country station by playing the oldies and Texas music. Do like this and listen to it.

However, KIKK is YOUNG COUNTRY and says they don't play the music your grandpa listened to. Speaks for itself.
Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

Theresa:

I don't!
Matt Dollar

Post by Matt Dollar »

I thought I'd throw this out for everyone that like the older traditional country and who would like to have a source to listen to. If you have internet capabilities that include audio streaming you might want to check out Twangcast.com. They play a broad mix of tradition country that includes a lot of the old masters along with a whole new generation of traditionalists who are playing what ya'll are looking for. I listen to it at work quite a bit and have discovered a lot of artisted who never get any radio exposure but are continuing the old traditions in a modern venue. Sorry about getting off the topic, but I thought it might be of interest.
Matt Dollar

Post by Matt Dollar »

I thought I'd throw this out for everyone that like the older traditional country and who would like to have a source to listen to. If you have internet capabilities that include audio streaming you might want to check out Twangcast.com. They play a broad mix of tradition country that includes a lot of the old masters along with a whole new generation of traditionalists who are playing what ya'll are looking for. I listen to it at work quite a bit and have discovered a lot of artisted who never get any radio exposure but are continuing the old traditions in a modern venue. Sorry about getting off the topic, but I thought it might be of interest.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

No. The ONLY worthwhile thing I've heard in months is The Dixie Chicks, who consistently put out interesting music.
Theresa Galbraith

Everyone has opinions. The truth of the matter stands, the new out sells the older stuff! Image
Theresa
Ric Epperle
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.

Post by Ric Epperle »

<SMALL>The truth of the matter stands, the new out sells the older stuff!</SMALL>
Because image and looks sells more than talent now days. I heard it mentioned; meat, heat, and a beat.
Bob Brocius

Post by Bob Brocius »

I guess I will say "No" but will adjust that by saying I do like some of it. Being a die-hard steel player, the thing that I hate the most is the way the DJs play the songs. Some songs have very beautiful intros and/or endings but you seldom hear them clearly. The DJ is always running at the gums throughout the intro and comes back in on the ending. The only time he shuts up is when the lead singer is singing. Oh, correction. We do get the hear the break in the middle. It must tear up the DJ that he can't talk there.

Bob in New York
Theresa Galbraith

Ric,
Yes, it's a matter of Opinion!
Today's country is harder to play and more interesting! Theresa
Let's say more challenging.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 13 September 2000 at 01:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ric Epperle

Post by Ric Epperle »

<SMALL>Today's country is harder to play and more interesting!</SMALL>
Well, let's see. Not to me, it isn't. Then again, I play everything from Stardust to Hell Bent and Whiskey Bound, in our group. I like almost any kind of music as long as it's good. The problem is, not all the music on so called "Country Radio" is good, as far as I'm concerned. And yes, that's just my opinion.
Theresa Galbraith

Ric,
I understand, but do you play what's being heard everyday? Thanks,Theresa
Ric Epperle

Post by Ric Epperle »

Some of it, but not all. We try to pick material that will have staying power over the next few years. Not the stuff that will be a hit this week and then forgotten 3 months later. I also find that in most clubs we play, they want variety. Old with the new. Country, country rock, 50's, 60's, 70's pop, western swing, and old pop standards. BTW, recording standards are much better now days but some (not all) of the best music ever written was written 50 years ago or better.
bud fischer

Post by bud fischer »

NO, I get tired of the top 40 over and over and over