Do You Like the Music Played on Country Radio?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Yeah,
I think if the poll was for pure traditional it would be about the same! Good and bad!
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Go ahead and start that one Theresa.Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Theresa Galbraith

Ray, I understand you dislike new country. No one likes it all!
Many also dislike alot of the traditional too!
The difference is the younger ones respect the legends, where you guys dis the new country and put it on here for all to read.
Theresa
p.s. You really aren't helping steel by those comments!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 22 August 2000 at 02:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL>You can tell a Texan but you can't tell him much</SMALL>
LOL - Nah, you just have to be VERY explicit with us.

You said "Just Yes or No for now".

Well, it's been over 24 hours, so I figured that "now" is over. Image

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

erik

Post by erik »

Here's a simplistic observation:
The people who prefer the older, "woe is me" stuff, register the most bitter of complaints.

The reality is: As long as we are in a booming economy, people are going to be happy, and want to hear happy music.

Still, it is possible to record traditional style music while giving a positive message. But we've been through that era with Paul Overstreet/Don Schlitz, etc. It seems people today want to "kick out the jams" with their new found prosperity. Can you blame them?

I like that new Eric Heatherly "Flowers" remake, but i would also enjoy more traditional sounding country.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

David, I really expeceted answers other than yes or no.Man were steel players.Were not going to play what we read, were gonna improvise come hell or high water.
By the way I'm from Texas too born and raised in Pasadena,not too far from Conroe.My Uncle Red owned the circle 8 ranch on Aldine Mail road almost to Conroe.Keep saying and doing your own thing ... Image Image;Ray

------------------
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

About one in ten, and it is usually a blast from the past. There are a few exceptions.
Theresa Galbraith

Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

Booming economy-country!! I like that! I think I get it now. I'm suddenly getting happy-happy!! The economy is good so I instinctively have an affinity for the music of Faith, Tim, Martina et al. O.K., I can march in that parade. I can march in that...... oops, just a cotton-pickin' minute here. I got a question. The economy is cyclical. Always has been, always will be. So what happens when the economy takes the inevitable down turn? Will it then be acceptable for me to go back to listening to "woe is me" country? Booming economy-country when the economy is good and woe is me-country when the economy is good. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Ol' bitter Mark
Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

I mistyped. That should be "woe is me-country when the economy is bad." I was in a hurry and bitter. Not a good combination when you're writing.

Mark
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

If you're referring to the new stuff coming out daily, I suppose I like perhaps 10% of it.

I generally do not like country music with loud (rock-style) drums, and distorted (rock style) guitars.

However, a lot of what I term "good country music" has no steel guitar!
erik

Post by erik »

Mark, thanks for the laugh. Image But yes, if things are good who wants to hear your tales of sadness? ...unless you suffer from teenage angst - i believe that's still a popular theme. Image
Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

Erik:

Teenage angst??????? I understand the meaning of the word 'teenage'. I understand the meaning of the word 'angst'. But just what is this "teenage angst" from which I may suffer? Are you saying that this
"teenage angst", whatever it is, could be the reason why I prefer the sound of pi$$ hitting the side of a tin shed to the sound of some booming economy-country tune? Can the medical community help me with this? How 'bout my bitterness, you think they could help me with that as well?

Mark
erik

Post by erik »

Mark,
In my previous post the first sentence was directed towards you. The remainder of my comment was speaking in general with respect to a singer/songwriter.
Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

Erik:

Whew, that's a relief!! Had me worried there. I didn't like the sound of that "teenage angst". No siree, bOb.

A relieved Mark
bill ramsey

Post by bill ramsey »

if it doesnt have a taste of traditional country with steel. it aint country!!!!!no!!! im a die hard country singer. bill ramsey

------------------
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Well; OK..It looks like this thread is dying down..So I am gonna put my flame suit on & say a big "NO"..I will go a little further & say I do NOT even listen to our local "country" station anymore..But I did call them & offer to take up a collection so they would have more than 20 CD's in their collection!!!I listen to a local old rock station when I do listen or to talk radio stations..Enjoy!! Ron
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

So far it's 23 no-3yes.
Theresa,it was not asked,triditional verses any music.The topic was as it was written,also nothing was mentioned about steel until you did.The only way I hurt the steel is when I go out and play and people here me.I am probally the guitars worst enemy .
Ray

------------------
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Yes, daily.

Make me #4. I like it all, new and trad.
Theresa Galbraith

Ray,
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I'm sure you are way to modest! Theresa
Jeremy Moyers

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

Make me #5. I do like most of the new music.
Huey Moore

Post by Huey Moore »

NO NO HE$$ NO ...Sam

------------------
Sam

Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

just reading the thread here this morning....
my reply is a definite NO!
and to follow-up with Ron W's comment just a couple ahead, I fully agree, in fact I will have to have someone inform me if things change with radio, as I simply do not listen to the radio anymore at all. Really only 3 stations serve my area here, and thru the summer, seems EVERY time I happen to catch a bit of radio -- I had guys screaming at me "KISS THIS!!!!" or "HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW!!!".... when faced with that kind of crap, can't grab the CD case of Hag, Buck, Cash and Dale Watson fast enough!
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL>seems EVERY time I happen to catch a bit of radio -- I had guys screaming at me "KISS THIS!!!!" or "HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW!!!"....</SMALL>
Sounds like you're hearing only the Top 20 or Top 10. There seems to be a rash of that type of song here recently. Aaron Tippin and Toby Keith can sing some great songs. Those two songs happen to be "OK" (tolerable for a few listens), but that's about it. How they made it to top 10 is beyond me.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Missy James

Post by Missy James »

I'll expound on my answer, just for clarity. I do not like everything that I hear on country radio today. Today's marketing strategists are the ones who determine which songs go up on the charts and their reasoning sometimes has nothing to do with good music. BUT - I do not throw out the baby with the bath water, so to speak. I personally do not like Aaron Tippen's new song "Kiss This." It was a song that was designed to appeal to drunkards and rowdies who want to sing along at the juke box ($$$$$$$$$$$$). But there is some great stuff going on out there, too. How about the Dixie Chicks' "Cowboy Take Me Away" (great steel work there!)? Or Clint Black's "It's Something That We Do"? Brad Paisley has some great new stuff out that's exciting and very traditional.

Conversely, although I love traditional country with its simplicity and heartfelt portrayals, I do not love all of it. I can think of several tunes that, in my estimation, were only big because of the persons singing them (I'll withhold being specific out of respect). It's no different today.

------------------
I don't drink or lie, but I swear I steel!!