the Nashville Network no more!!

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Billy Johnson

the Nashville Network no more!!

Post by Billy Johnson »

Coming soon to a living room near you, TNN,the National Network.(not dobros either) It seems they are moving to New York. Changing the name & image. No Opry Live?? More news to come! It was nice while it lasted.
So, what ya'll think??
Billy
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Johnson on 19 September 2000 at 10:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Saw it on the news this morning.I stated on my post.Looks like the non-trads won out completely.We are even going to loose the Opry now.Get out your tapes CD's and old vidios,seems thats all we will have left.
Thanks to all the bubble-gum cowboys. Image Image ImageRay

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

A present to all the country fans from Gaylord. Gaylord sold it to CBS (and then Viacom bought CBS) and it was just a matter of time before it would be moved and merged with other network operations.

Gaylord did away with Opryland, screwed with the Opry and now has given Nashville and the tourists "Shopryland" (and they wonder why tourists and tourist revenue is down in Nashvul).

Doesn't sound like a very good track record.
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

What's Gaylor's background, anyway?

When I was a kid, I remember he owned the newspaper in Oklahoma City. Heck, they even named a street after him.

Next thing I know, he's buying up Nashville.

TNN had slid downhill anyway, but at least it still had the Grand Ol' Opry and a few other shows worth watching.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

The sad part about all of this is the work that it eliminates in the Nashville(in town) performing community. Musicians that only had the opportunity to work the Opry or the shows that used to be on TNN, and weren't part of the elite studio musicians, have lost yet another source of income. We have lost a venue to watch and listen to these fine players. Image

------------------
Tommy Minniear
JCH S/D10 3&4
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

SUCKS!!!!!

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

In my opinion, (of course, no one has asked) this could be a good move for Country Music and Nasvillians. That leaves the Whole Country Music market open for some smart guy to start something either on CMT or perhaps a totally new network. There is a proven market out here and it is up for "grabs" if not already "grabbed." Gee, if I'm so smart, why ain't I rich???? LOL Image

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Maybe someone will crank up the ole Ryman and put it back together and go back to the basics and good ole country music for a change,yeah!!!!!
Or is it a part of the Gaylord hornswaggle ?? Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by KENNY FORBESS on 19 September 2000 at 05:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Yep !!

Nashville's Country Music venues has gone to h@#$ in a handbasket.

I've lived here all my life and have watched it die.

Now Im going to Branson,MO next month to see and hear "Country Music". I could have spent all that money here in "Nashburg" instead of going out of state. I guess New York knows more about what I like in music that I do.

Please turn out the lights as you leave Nashville, folks. Pretty soon it will be a dark spot in the road.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

KD, CMT is also owned by Viacom and CMT is now managed by the same division that has MTV. Forget about CMT (wonder why you see the same Advertisements aimed at the teeny boppers that run on MTV).

It would take someone that could start up a new country music channel.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

It's sad of course for the one's that watched TNN. Alot of you didn't so, maybe this venue will bring more shows like the Player's! Perhaps more concert's. We'll have to give them a chance.
The same advertisers want to sell the product, so more power to them for wanting to be successful in what is aired! Theresa
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Theresa, what is there to watch?? I don't care about reruns of Dallas or the Waltons, etc. I don't care about "wraslin" and I don't care about watching someone else hunting or fishing. Not much left, the Opry on Saturday nights and every once in a while a music show or a rerun of a music show (although many of them are the "pop" country), a little Nascar and the rodeo that my wife likes.

And I did watch the first showing of The Players.

David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

Here is Marty Martel's take on it;

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>NOT THE TIME FOR SADNESS

Through friends in the music industry here in Nashville, I have known for several months that TNN was gearing up to leave. I respect my information and I have kept it withheld until it was official.

Friends it is not a time for sadness, it is a time of joy. TNN as it was The Nashville Network, shamed the name of Country Music when they were bought. When it was the real Nashville Network with Ralph, Lorriane and Charlie. Club Dance, The Statler Bros., and all of the great shows and specials, then it was something we were proud of. Since the takeover by the non-knowledgable and unscrupulous peope, it has went downhill.

With this announcement that they are moving the headquarters to New York City and changing the name to The National Network, THERE HAVE STOPPED THE BLEEDING OF COUNTRY MUSIC FINALLY. SOMEONE WILL COME ALONG AND TAKE CARE OF THE MOTHER CHURCH OF COUNTRY MUSIC-THE GRAND OLE OPRY, AND SHE WILL LIVE ON. There will be TV so that you will be able to see her. There is finally hope now that the people who have caused so many wounds in our music, have decided to leave and go somewhere else to screw more people.

Country Music has survived through the ages, but my friends she was dying a slow death with the dictators of TNN. They are New York Hoods and they do not care, know or love country music as we do.

SO I SAY TO THEM, GOOD BYE, DON'T LOOK BACK AND BE CAREFUL ON YOUR WAY OUT OF TOWN, AND OH YES, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. WE HAVE A NEW LIGHT IN OUR MUSIC INDUSTRY.

KEEP THE FAITH.

I will have more in my news on Sunday night.
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Billy Johnson

Post by Billy Johnson »

Well according to the Tennessean, the Opry live will continue on TNN. the article also states, the words "Country Music" did not appear in yesterdays three page anouncement.
Bill Sharpe

Post by Bill Sharpe »

Latest info I have on the Opry is that it will continue on TNN for two more years and then MAYBE be picked up by CMT

------------------

B#
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

RE:TNN (aka "TRN" the Redneck Network)
GOOD RIDDANCE !!

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>
Theresa Galbraith

Smiley,
TNN, has always been considered redneck like the whole true traditional scene..
The new country has tried to overcome that. Regardless,they still get slammed from the rednecks. So what's new? Theresa
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

This is not meant to be an insult to all the good folks from the Tennessee area, because I know all these things hit alot closer to your heart than any Durned Foreigner. but...
I never did get TNN on the T.V.
I'm still here though. Still breathin' in and out, still playing lots... still have country music as a meaningful part of my life.
Things will work out.
-John
<font size=1><i>
The cat came back, he wouldn't stay away,
He was sittin' on the porch, the very next day...
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

How in the hell will I see my Waltons all day Thanksgiving? O me what I gonna do now there Andy? Oo Me. Image

------------------
CJC

Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

Theresa,
are suggesting that if someone likes traditional country music, that makes them a "redneck"? Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 20 September 2000 at 11:45 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 21 September 2000 at 12:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Theresa Galbraith

Dave,
Did I say that? How did you do that face? Image
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Hey B. Cole,
I notice,in your profile,that you don't have anything listed in your occupation,location,or interests. Is there something that you're ashamed of? C'mon pal,fess up.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>